Terrell Owens is Upset... Wants to be an Eagle... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Terrell Owens is Upset... Wants to be an Eagle...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Canacuna » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:52 pm

Here's a link from ESPN.com...

Source: Eagles Say They Had Deal for T.O. First

James Thrash and a fifth rounder for T.O.? Yikes - I'm kind of surprised Terry Donahue would have accepted that one. Anyway, Philly should have at least had a shot to make a counter-offer.

It works out well for the 49ers, though. They get a nice draft pick for him and they don't have to worry about playing him, as he is out of the NFC.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:54 pm

other than the fact that they lied to do it.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Gwgadwall » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:31 pm

If nothing else the 49ers are really starting to show what kind of organization they are. They have made some pretty stupid moves the last two years. Letting Mooch go was probably the best thing that ever happened to him.
Gwgadwall
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Homeless » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:46 pm

It was reported that at the pro bowl owens and McNabb spent a lot of time together discussing "stuff". I would have bet money on TO ending up an eagle.

Even so, you would think he would at least keep his mouth shut.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Canacuna » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:52 pm

Homeless wrote:Even so, you would think he would at least keep his mouth shut.

...T.O.'s not that smart.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby terpfan » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:08 pm

Canacuna wrote:James Thrash and a fifth rounder for T.O.? Yikes - I'm kind of surprised Terry Donahue would have accepted that one.

he wouldnt have. thats why TO is a raven and not an eagle. the eagles had a deal with TO, not with the 49ers. the ravens made a better offer.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby fantasizing » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:56 pm

terpfan wrote:
Canacuna wrote:James Thrash and a fifth rounder for T.O.? Yikes - I'm kind of surprised Terry Donahue would have accepted that one.

he wouldnt have. thats why TO is a raven and not an eagle. the eagles had a deal with TO, not with the 49ers. the ravens made a better offer.
Okay, WTF is going on here? The 49ers let TO seek a trade with whomever he wanted?? Then TO and his agent would present that trade to SF to see if SF agrees to it? How does this work? Or did TO NOT present his Philly trade to SF so SF was under the impression that there was no trade out there so they accepted the trade offer by Baltimore?
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:04 pm

Owens wasn't a FA so he can't go wherever he wants..If the deal is finalized with Philly by his management tough crap. His agent blew it earlier...but....

The other side is this: Are the 49ers kinda shady now? Sneaking this through allegedly, and the whole TO is not a Free Agent deal, and moving up the date to declare by?

I don't know. But I do know this. I wouldn't want him on my team. Especially this year with all the other WRs out there.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:35 am

Perhaps someone with a little bit more knowledge about the rules and regulations regarding trading players could help clear up a few things.

The 49ers have TO under contract, which as I understand gives them rights to trade him wherever they want. However, they allowed him and his agent to seek out a trade he wanted. Do they not have some sort of obligation to respect that trade process and at least allow for a counter offer to other trade offers? Wouldn't they be giving up some of their control by allowing him to seek the trade?

Also, his agent had to meet with the eagles and work out contract negotiations before the trade agreement. Wouldnt the agent have to do the same with baltimore before the trade could be completed? How is it that neither the player nor his agent are not entitled to be so much as notified until after the deal has been made?

Now, I understand the 49ers using the eagles trade offer for leverage. Makes perfect sense. I think a 2nd round pick in any draft for TO is a steal if you need help at WR. However, it seems with all the underhandedness their organization pulled, the false impression that they gave Owens control of his trade destination, the duping of the Eagles organization, that somewhere in the NFL their are rights either towards the player or the team making the trade agreement to prevent such bending and possible breaking of the rules.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:00 am

maddog60 wrote:Perhaps someone with a little bit more knowledge about the rules and regulations regarding trading players could help clear up a few things.

The 49ers have TO under contract, which as I understand gives them rights to trade him wherever they want. However, they allowed him and his agent to seek out a trade he wanted. Do they not have some sort of obligation to respect that trade process and at least allow for a counter offer to other trade offers? Wouldn't they be giving up some of their control by allowing him to seek the trade?

Now, I understand the 49ers using the eagles trade offer for leverage. Makes perfect sense. I think a 2nd round pick in any draft for TO is a steal if you need help at WR. However, it seems with all the underhandedness their organization pulled, the false impression that they gave Owens control of his trade destination, the duping of the Eagles organization, that somewhere in the NFL their are rights either towards the player or the team making the trade agreement to prevent such bending and possible breaking of the rules.

I don't think there's rules being broken, just shady. The Colts did the same thing to Marshall Faulk when they traded him to the Rams. The same situation is true of players too, see Antoine Winfield.

When you think about it, it makes the most sense for the 49ers to trade him to the Ravens regardless of what the Eagles offer. If I were the 49ers I'd rather send him to the AFC than to the NFC Championship team who might be one good WR away from making the Super Bowl and stomping your team on the way.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk