Is it just me, or... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is it just me, or...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is it just me, or...

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:35 am

Have there been an absolute myriad of free agency signings/trades already this year? I mean, this is the first year I've really paid attention, but it just seems like every day we are hearing five or six more guys going to another team (the huge amount of posts from my man Canacuna back that up). ;-D

It's not just in football, either. Hockey, baseball, basketball - they all have huge amounts of migrating superstars, "drifter" players, and new prospects. I know the main motivator of money has a lot to do with it. Then there are the owners (Snyder, Steinbrenner, whoever owns the Rangers, Ainge) who are throwing the money around and setting a bad precedent for players. Will the small market teams and players be the only ones that actually attempt to build a team instead of following the dollar signs?

Does anything else think it's going to get increasingly difficult to determine a player's fantasy value in any sport if they keep switching to different teams every year? I think when a player goes from a good team to a bad team or goes from being "the man" to being another piece of the puzzle, it's hard to pinpoint their projected stats. At least when someone's been in a system for a long time, you pretty much know what you're going to get unless they have a major injury or someone else who determines their numbers leaves or gets hurt.

I'm hoping this creates some discussion - and not completely negative towards me! :-o
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:11 am

Yeah it's definitely accentuated with all the FA activity in football. Plus the early trading is throwing us all for a tizzy.

Thank god I'm not a Rangers' fan...I'd be in a coma after what NY just did.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:05 am

Makes for a fun off-season, in any case. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Roseman » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:29 am

I think this is pretty typical for FA in the NFL there was an early Tirad of action last year early too and then by week two it really quiets down.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:09 am

I think that pro sports are learning that life goes on even if you trade one of your better players. Plus you save $$$ and room on your cap. Seeing TO traded for the 51st pick is an eye opener and the 9ers should have been able to get a better pick than that. If the Phins were floating a trade for Moss that would have given up 3 starters for him, then the 9ers should have been able to get Chambers and a #2 pick form them.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk