Draft Prediction: San Diego selects... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Prediction: San Diego selects...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Prediction: San Diego selects...

Postby JrcWy » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:21 pm

running back Ethan Mitchell of Flowers High School in Springdale, Md.

Think that sounds stupid? Read this article from msnbc.com

NEW YORK - Six high school players and one from junior college have applied for the NFL draft as a result of the court ruling that allowed Maurice Clarett to enter the April 24-25 player selection.

The NFL released the final list of nine players who requested early eligibility after the ruling on Clarett, the running back who played as a freshman at Ohio State but was suspended for last season. March 1 was the deadline for applying, with the players given 72 hours to pull out.

In addition to Clarett and wide receiver Mike Williams of Southern California, there were seven others on the final list, including one from a junior college. Williams, who played two seasons in college, is expected to be a first-round pick while Clarett is thought to be a potential second- or third-rounder.

But most scouts and league officials think the jump is far too great for most underclassmen and high school players.

The seven who applied are Ronnie McCrae, a defensive back from Pasadena City College in California; Joe Banks, a running back from New Directions Academy High School in Baltimore; quarterback John Belisle of Capac Community High School in Capac, Michigan; defensive tackle Earl Fields of Appling County High School in Baxley, Ga.; wide receiver Joe Lee of Gates High School in Tacoma, Wash.; running back Ethan Mitchell of Flowers High School, in Springdale, Md.; and Ken Petitt of Redford High School in Detroit.

How dumb are these kids? I don't even like sophomores leaving. I hope Clarett never makes it in this league as a punishment for bringing this kind of mess onto the NFL.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:53 pm

...How many college freshman are successful on their teams? Not a lot. What makes these high schoolers think they will be drafted? ...Hopefully none of them hire agents.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Azrael » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:42 pm

I wish they had this when I was in high school. I would have entered just to get my name in the newspaper.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby terpfan » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:45 pm

craaazy!! :-t
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:09 am

It's not the kids' fault. A lot of them are not suited for college and the only reason they go is to play ball and get a shot at the NFL. It's not fair to them at all. If the NFL had a developmental league, kids could declare for the draft, get drafted in later rounds and get signed to their minor league program if they weren't good enough for the pros immediately but had some talent.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:49 am

KingGhidra wrote:It's not the kids' fault. A lot of them are not suited for college and the only reason they go is to play ball and get a shot at the NFL. It's not fair to them at all. If the NFL had a developmental league, kids could declare for the draft, get drafted in later rounds and get signed to their minor league program if they weren't good enough for the pros immediately but had some talent.

Excellent idea, KG. There should be some sort of developmental league for highly skilled younger players. Not just talent development, but body development. I'm may be wrong, but I can't believe these kids have full NFL caliber bodies yet... They're going to need at least 2 - 3 more years of maturing before they can really perform capably at the NFL level. I know weight training programs are pretty big nowadays even at the high school level, but a 17 or 18 year old getting leveled by a mid-late 20 year old guy sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby UtopianHopes » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:13 am

Espn has a similar article only they add this...

Espn wrote:None of the high school players is among the top 25 college prospects by position, according to Tom Lemming, editor of Prep Football Report..

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1751956

Azrael wrote:I wish they had this when I was in high school. I would have entered just to get my name in the newspaper.

I agree with you, this is just a publicity stunt. IMO, none of this players are worth considering.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mikehunt » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:15 am

[quote="KingGhidra"]It's not the kids' fault. A lot of them are not suited for college and the only reason they go is to play ball and get a shot at the NFL. It's not fair to them at all. If the NFL had a developmental league, kids could declare for the draft, get drafted in later rounds and get signed to their minor league program if they weren't good enough for the pros immediately but had some talent.[/quote]

I do agree also. But is that not what we have the cfl for. Not that we can produce tonnes of talent up here. But maybe the Nfl should get together with the Cfl and have them like the CBA of the NBA or the AHL of the NHL. Instead of two diffrent leagues working against each other and the Cfl picking up table scraps. We could get up and coming NFl talent at low cost but high exciting football. This maybe a way to work it out. I don't just a thought from reading you post KG.

Mike
mikehunt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby awwchrist » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:40 am

KingGhidra wrote:It's not the kids' fault. A lot of them are not suited for college and the only reason they go is to play ball and get a shot at the NFL.

I'll tell you what, it's that statement that has the NCAA gripping HARD over the fact that kids would consider leaping over Div 1 schools to go pro.

You know what...let em get drafted..and punished by MEN. Kids will think twice when they see this is a man's league, a man's game.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikehunt » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:19 am

Another thought is why would a person give up a chance for a Degree or something just to play ball. I know $$$$ is the man factor but what if there is that life changing injury and then what.

For instance ( a non Football example) say Lebron James smacks his hummer (that mommy bought) into a brick wall and is done with ball for his life. If he had a Degree in something then he might still have a future. I don't know if it was me I would put in my time and go through the motions.

MIke
mikehunt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk