Draft Prediction: San Diego selects... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft Prediction: San Diego selects...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:46 am

mikehunt wrote:Another thought is why would a person give up a chance for a Degree or something just to play ball. I know $$$$ is the man factor but what if there is that life changing injury and then what.

For instance ( a non Football example) say Lebron James smacks his hummer (that mommy bought) into a brick wall and is done with ball for his life. If he had a Degree in something then he might still have a future. I don't know if it was me I would put in my time and go through the motions.

MIke

Agreed, but the exact opposite is more likely to happen. A career ending injury in college (what almost happened to McGahee) would stop any chance of them going to the NFL and getting the big bucks...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Go Vikes » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:51 am

I saw that too. It's just crazy.
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby roninmedia » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:58 am

What these kids have to realize is that the NFL has no guaranteed money like most other leagues. The only guaranteed money that exists in the NFL is the signing bonuses, and a draft pick will not get a large signing bonus.

I honestly hope these high school kids have thrown their name into the ring just to gain some publicity and they did not hire an agent. Because an injury can totally destroy the rest of their lives.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:28 am

Developemental league? That's kind of what college is....

What do you mean "not suited for college"?

If you mean they're not smart enough to get in, then you're kidding yourself, you don't have to have intelligence to get into a college as an athlete. If you mean they're not good enough to play in college. Well then, if they can't make it in college where there are hundreds of teams, how are they gonna make it in the NFL where there are 32?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:47 am

not having high schoolers is what makes the NFL

I hate this move,,,,,and hate Clarett :-t :-t :-t
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Roseman » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:49 am

I idea of High Scool kids in the NFL is a scary thought these kid are going to get the crap beatin out of them. I dont think they know what they have gotten themselves into. Even if they do get draft I dont think any of them could survie training camp.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby moochman » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:03 pm

I have to go against the flow here. I think that there will be very rare exceptions where a high school kid can play pro. That said, I want more of these kids to want to enter the draft. It could make the hippocritical NCAA take notice of the fraud they are calling student athletes. What NCAA sports is is not a place for student athletes to perform, but a trade school for athletes to try and nohe their skills to gain employment in their chosen field. Drop the facade of student-athlete. I'm not saying athlets shouldn't be required to attend classes, but there whould be classes molded toward there betterment. Like how to avoid bad agents or financial advisors, for example. Or even just survival skills like reading and math. If they want to take "real" classes they still can, so the few students can get their degrees. But if you are stupid and Ohio State doesn't want you, then what are your options?
The NCAA whith their smug, elitist attitude is doing a great dis-service to those who aren't smart enough to fake it in college. And if the NCAA is all about the students then tell me how a high-schooler who enters the draft and (as prolly all 6 of this year's crop) aren't drafted is not still eligible to play in college?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Buckychudd » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:24 pm

moochman wrote:I have to go against the flow here. I think that there will be very rare exceptions where a high school kid can play pro. That said, I want more of these kids to want to enter the draft. It could make the hippocritical NCAA take notice of the fraud they are calling student athletes. What NCAA sports is is not a place for student athletes to perform, but a trade school for athletes to try and nohe their skills to gain employment in their chosen field. Drop the facade of student-athlete. I'm not saying athlets shouldn't be required to attend classes, but there whould be classes molded toward there betterment. Like how to avoid bad agents or financial advisors, for example. Or even just survival skills like reading and math. If they want to take "real" classes they still can, so the few students can get their degrees. But if you are stupid and Ohio State doesn't want you, then what are your options?
The NCAA whith their smug, elitist attitude is doing a great dis-service to those who aren't smart enough to fake it in college. And if the NCAA is all about the students then tell me how a high-schooler who enters the draft and (as prolly all 6 of this year's crop) aren't drafted is not still eligible to play in college?

Nice post. I'm going to agree with you here, and I have to wonder about regulations prohibiting the "student-athlete" from getting paid. Essentially, it's a way to allow colleges to make huge profits from these kids bodies......

Now I'm not saying the answer is to pay these kids, but I think it is a topic that the NCAA needs to investigate further.

And why not turn the Arena and European leagues into farm leagues? I don't know what regulations these leagues have on age, but I don't see a reason for not allowing kids out of HS to play in either of these leagues......just keep um out of the NFL please!
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Football Talk