Duce in Pitt? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Duce in Pitt?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Roseman » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:04 pm

Duce going to Pitt would be a good idea for them he would fit in well with the offence that they run and he would a dimension to the Pitt offence that they havent had. A RB that can catch the ball coming out of the back field.
Image
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2849
Joined: 14 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby TheHeat24 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:23 pm

I hate to burst your bubble roseman but im pretty sure that catching the ball out of the backfield was what amos did best. As for staley, hes a me first player who is always injured and if he was that talented he would have been able to fend off Buckhalter(the best pure rb on that team). If he were capable of being an everydown back they would not have drafted both buck and westbrook. Albeit they didnt use high picks on them. I think his stock is highly overrated based on those games near the end of the year (GB game more specifically) where he had good games, lets not forget GB is not the most stout against the run. If I were the steelers I would be targeting Stephen Jackson for my first pick if not I might look at Shawn Andrews if he dropped that far and mayb Greg Jones in the second.
Image

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1703
Joined: 9 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Room 614

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:38 pm

moochman wrote:Duce has got a few good years left in him, but how is their O-line looking? Are they going to be healthy going into camp? Are they looking ot draft help there? If they cant' get more production from their O-line it won't matter who the hire at RB. Heck, even Shawn Bryson couldn't make any progress behind a sucky Lion O-line! ;-)


The O-Line should be healthy, they are a great o-line, theyve just been plagued with injuries. im glad to see they are making moves though. There will be a new RB in pitt next year, and Duce could fit that role nicely temporarily, but soon well need a younger one.
And i disagree Heat, Duce is NOT overrated, hes underated. Just because he was on a RBBC doesnt mean hes incapable. The Steelers are a good fit for him, and they are considering drafting kevin jones and jackson to.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 9345
Joined: 29 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Happy Valley

Postby maddog60 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:54 pm

I totally agree with Roseman on this one. Pitt is the perfect place for Duce. He's always excelled as a passing back, but he also has enough punch to run through 3-4 guys if he has to. Given Pitts. talent at WR they really need to change their scheme up from the Jerome Bettis days and play more to their strength. Duce would help give them a backfield passing option while provided a solid temporary run solution.

As for Duce being a "me first" player, you couldnt be more wrong. He is beloved here in Philly for simply the opposite reason, he is a selfless player. He lost his starting job not on any account of talent, but because of the holdout. While the holdout hurt him, I thought his request of knowing whether or not he'd be resigned or let go was reasonable. Even with losing the starting job, he played his heart out, averaged well over 4 yards per carry, and never once complained about a lack of playing time. Even though we know Westbrook is the guy we should be featuring in Philly, Eagle fans are sad to see such a true sportsman and amazing athlete (who recovered from a nearly career ending injury to come back and have his best season ever) leave our area.

You may say he's not a top back, sure, of course. Question his talent if you wish, though his numbers do show what he's capable of, but to call him a selfish, me first player, you simply don't know enough about the topic. Duce is a player who gives everything he has, to his team, to the fans, to the community. He doesn't fall down just because someone missed a block and he gets hit by a linebacker, he doesn't shrug his blocking duties b/c he's only supposed to run the ball, he the guy that will fight tooth and nail for every single yard, and the guy who want to give the ball to when absolutely need to have the play work, because he will perform to his A-game.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheHeat24 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:53 pm

Why did he hold out? Because he was thinking about himself. The team didnt tell him to sit out did they?
Image

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1703
Joined: 9 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Room 614

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:37 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:Why did he hold out? Because he was thinking about himself. The team didnt tell him to sit out did they?


Imagine this: you have co-workers who are showing less talent than you, but they make more than you. would you be happy? i dont call hold-outs selfish, plus is wasnt all him who did it, those greedy agents have a lot to do with it too. }:-)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 9345
Joined: 29 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:20 pm

NittanyLions wrote:
TheHeat24 wrote:Why did he hold out? Because he was thinking about himself. The team didnt tell him to sit out did they?


Imagine this: you have co-workers who are showing less talent than you, but they make more than you. would you be happy? i dont call hold-outs selfish, plus is wasnt all him who did it, those greedy agents have a lot to do with it too. }:-)


No, you wouldn't be happy, but you also wouldn't start staying home from work and expect them to keep paying you...
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:27 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
NittanyLions wrote:
TheHeat24 wrote:Why did he hold out? Because he was thinking about himself. The team didnt tell him to sit out did they?


Imagine this: you have co-workers who are showing less talent than you, but they make more than you. would you be happy? i dont call hold-outs selfish, plus is wasnt all him who did it, those greedy agents have a lot to do with it too. }:-)


No, you wouldn't be happy, but you also wouldn't start staying home from work and expect them to keep paying you...


ok ok...so lets tally up the amount of "selfish" players like him (aka all players who have ever held out)...im just making a point hes not a jerk because he decided to hold out once
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 9345
Joined: 29 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:00 am

Free Bagel wrote:No, you wouldn't be happy, but you also wouldn't start staying home from work and expect them to keep paying you...


Except that Duce footed the bill for his hold out. He lost money because of it and had to pay up. You didn't hear him whining about it. He accepted the consequences of his actions. Once again, his reason for holding out: He wanted to know if he'd be released on signed at the end of the season. For someone who'd given the organization so much throughout the past few years, I didnt think it was out of line to ask for advanced warning.

Imagine you're working at your dream job, and you know that in about 5 months they may lay you off. Wouldnt you at least want to know straight out if they have any intentions of renewing your contract to work, if you better start figuring where else you want to go with your career?
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby converge241 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:09 am

no duce :~( :-t :-t

make an offer to rudi johnson or draft someone
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 849
Joined: 19 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Brockton, Massachusetts

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 10:20 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact