Duce in Pitt? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Duce in Pitt?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:13 pm

we arent getting rudi man...unfortunately. duce is one of the top RBs in FA...not to mention cheap. now that couch should be out...i think it increases the chances of them picking up couch, then drafting a RB
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby grat gretzky » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:59 pm

Aside from the holdout (which incidentally, he deserved) he is anything BUt a me first player. He accepted his role in the three ehaded monster with aplomb and on the field almos like clockwork makes all the "heart" plays you could ask for.

He does not have as much mileage on him as some would think, and is only 28.

During his feature back time, he was well above average, AND he brings a nice element to the passing game, which a lot of backs lack.

This year he had 132 touches for 6.4 yard average gain, 4.8 per carry and 845 yards with 7 touchdowns.

When given feature back carries, he has produced with feature back numbers. Granted, he didn't carry much at all during his rookie year or the injury year. And he had to contend the whole time with him being considered a "stop gap" measure. He has also gained more than 200 yards ina game, a rare feat indeed.
Last year he had abotu 1500 yards and 8 tds in the feature role.

I would reject that he "couldn't hold off buckhalter". He did hold off buckhalter last year, and this year was an extenuating circumstance with the holdout and westbrook's ascendance.

I think it would be a bit silly to turn your nose up at him if you were a pittsburgh fan. He certainly brings an element that would be hard to come by in free agency. Keep bettis, let amos walk. You have a battering ram for short yardage in bettis, and rushing passing threat with duce. WIth your receivers, you could really keep opponents on their toes.

With duce and westbrook in the backfield, a lot of teams seemed a little caught off guard, because the pass in the flat works so well with them. With your receviers, the steelers could be even more effective than the eagles were with it, as you have the receivers to spread out the field a bit more.
grat gretzky

Friendliness: %

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:08 pm

BINGO!!! :-°

eventhough you are a gretzky fan, i couldnt agree with you more :-)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:33 pm

Hey I love mario as well, and my pop went to penn state!

I jsut think there is a lot of hate for a talented and fairly young guy. Even if he isn't going to be with the team for the next 6 years, realistically, not many players are. So, you sign duce and draft someone. For two years, duce is the man, new guy gets worked in. Next year or so, it is a commitee situation. The year after that, new guy takes the reins. So basically, for four years you have a guy who is in his prime and starting to decline, and you have a guy who is below prime and ready tot ake over when duce declines. I fail to see how that is bad. Basically, you should have the running game solidifed for five to six years. Not bad at all.

I jsut want duce to go somewhere where he would be both apprceiated and not a cowboy. Steelers would be a good fit. And, they won't need to break the bank for him, nor trade for a talented, yet inconsistent malcontent like dillon. I really think duce would immesnely help the passign game (he is a good blocker) and isn most certainyl an asset rushing.

There is most certainly a sticker value during free agency...
great gretzky

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:52 pm

I couldnt agree more. you should register and stay around :-)
As long as you like Mario and have PSU ties, plus you stuck up for the stillers, you are a cool guy ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby great gretzky » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:55 pm

I usually post under eagles rule, but for some reason, I couldn't access my email to get my password request.

Plus, Iw ould like to think my opinions count for more than the post count associated with them! j/k. I am around. Posting more on baseball right now, as I am looking to dominate this year.

But i do hope goes to Pittsburgh. Growing up as a kid in Philly, but having a dad who was an eagles fan and a mom who was a steelers fan, i had mixed allegiances. Totally eagles now, but always will have an afc softs opt for the steelers, despite them not covering the spread against the coybows in the superbowl, cositng me me semester allowance in college. Considering it happened in january, a tough pill to swallow to say the least. no more nfl gambling after that.
great gretzky

Postby Azrael » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:45 pm

I guess it wouldn't hurt if they use him right. I'm just tired of them getting guys who are half decent to patch things up awhile and never looking to fix the problem in the long term. It wouldn't be bad if they were going to draft a Jones or Jackson to work them in later...but that's not what they'll do and those aren't guys you draft to work in. They come in and start right away. Another thing, I don't think the Steelers are very good at drafting skill people. Burress is kind of a bust (should have taken Pennington (i.e., Rule 1: don't pass on a franchise QB)). Can't count Heinz because they got lucky. I don't think they ever knew or perceived what kind of player he could be.

Just to be clear here. I'm not a Duce hater. I just think that if the Steelers get him, they'll stop there. I don't think they'll look any further until Duce/Bettis or just Duce is too far past their/his usefulness. It seems like they never try to solve something until that position is severely deficient. Sometimes they just draft dumb. (e.g. Last year we take Alonzo Jackson in the 2nd round, ANOTHE FRICKIN LINEBACKER when we already had Haggans, Gildon, Porter, Farrior, Bell, and Foote; and Jackson doesn't even dress) You don't spend a 2nd Rd draft pick on a guy who is going to be your 7th linebacker and not even sniff the field.

That's my whole point.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby CC » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:09 pm

I wouldn't say Burress is a bust. He's 4 years into the league and has already had 2 1000 yard seasons. Pennington has been better, but still you can't really complain about Burress. If you want a real bust, here's a name for you. Same situation as Plax, big talented WR out of the state of Michigan, drafted 9th overall, David Terrell, I'm a Wolverines fan, and hopefully this guy can succeed but he's been pretty bad so far.

BTW, SICK sig Azarel, it looks damn nice, best WR prospect in years right there.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:39 pm

thx, on Burress, not a complete bust, huge disappointment how far he went downhill last year after looking like a star the year before.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby eagles rule » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:55 pm

(also great gretzky)

gimmie a break, compalining about burress?

considering the beauty that is freddie mtichell and billy mcmullen, I'd take your mistake in a heartbeat.

Grante freddie was responsible for the biggest play in eagles history, I doubt "fred ex" will be the real deal over time.

There were some rumours that the birds were thinking of sending some draft picks to the steelers for burress. Mind you, I ho[pe nothing more than a third, as burress is inconsistent -- possibly a second I guess, provided the eagles can move up in the draft -- but I think he is a good wr.

The steelers had no kind of running game, and then they had an incosistent maddux at the helm. I am surprised they ddin't go for garcia and duce in the interim to build a winning formula and draft guys to take their place. The kind of draft picks necessary to be groomed are less than the immediate impact types. Oh well. Then again, I wish th eagles would trade this year's first and next year's second for ward or something.

Think the steelers would take that?
eagles rule

Previous

Return to Football Talk