Cardinals, Bears & Eddie George news - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cardinals, Bears & Eddie George news

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cardinals, Bears & Eddie George news

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:18 am

The News
The Cardinals made the first free agent additions of the Dennis Green era, signing defensive end Bertrand Berry, quarterback Shaun King, and fullback Obafemi Ayanbadejo to multi-year deals. Terms were not disclosed. Berry recorded 11.5 sacks and forced three fumbles for the Broncos last season. King started all 16 games for the Buccaneers in 2000, but he's spent the last three seasons as Brad Johnson's backup. He will be the backup to Josh McCown in Arizona. Ayanbadejo started two games for the Dolphins in 2003, and he formerly played under Green with the Vikings in 1998. He'll be the backup to James Hodgins.
Our View
Berry is the by far the big signing of the three, as the Cardinals desperately needed to add a pass-rusher (or two) to their defense. Of course, Bert alone won't be enough to turn the Cardinals' defense into a unit of fantasy interest, but it's a start.

The News
As anticipated, the Titans recently approached running back Eddie George about restructuring his contract. However, George and his agents, Peter Schaffer and Lamont Smith, turned down the Titans' offer. George has a $4.25 million base salary for 2004, and according to the Tennessean, the Titans asked the veteran running back to cut his number closer to $1.5 million or $2 million. General manager Floyd Reese expects the talks to continue in the coming months, but if George does not agree to a pay cut, he could be released after June 1.
Our View
Earlier this offseason, George spoke about how he couldn't see himself playing anywhere else, and he sounded amenable to a restructured deal. Of course, there's a gap between willing to negotiate and taking the shaft. Chris Brown waiting in the wings but probably not quite ready for full-time duty, and the Titans and George want to continue their partnership through the end of Eddie's career. Our bet is that the two sides work out a new deal over the next few months, but certainly there's a chance that George will face unemployment this summer.

The News
Offensive tackle John Tait signed a six-year offer sheet worth around $34 million with the Bears on Friday. The Chiefs used their transition tag on the tackle prior to free agency, and Kansas City now has seven days to match the offer. According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Bears have attempted to discourage the Chiefs by structuring the contract so that Tait would receive $14 million in guaranteed money next season. "We've already got a lot of money invested in our offensive line," Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil told the Kansas City Star. "It's hard to distort the salary cap and your budget to get John Tait done, too." The Dolphins also went hard after Tait, but they were unable to match the Bears' offer.
Our View
The Chiefs would have to clear up a lot of cap space to retain Tait, and Vermeil's quote suggests that the team may not be willing to tackle that project. So, it's likely that the Bears have made a huge upgrade to their offensive line. New Bears' offensive coordinator Terry Shea was formerly the Chiefs' quarterbacks coach, and he obviously knows what he's getting in the 323-pound tackle. After losing Chris Villarrial to the Bills, the Bears are still looking to make more additions to the offensive line, but this is a good start and bodes well for Thomas Jones and Rex Grossman.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:16 am

Chris Brown is officially a very nice sleeper.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheHeat24 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:00 pm

Eddie is a piece of garbage I could name at least thirty runningbacks I would rather start an NFL franchise with. When was the last time he broke 4.0 a carry? Anyways they would be better served just letting Chris Brown start, he was a dominant college player and maybe he can translate that into the pros. He's a huge sleeper I drafted him last year but unfortunately he pulled his hamstring in camp and that took away any possibility of him starting.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Roseman » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:07 pm

I guess we are getting closer and closer to the day Eddie. If the titan cut him I still really can see him going anywhere and making an impact he will be a backup at best
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:00 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:Eddie is a piece of garbage I could name at least thirty runningbacks I would rather start an NFL franchise with. When was the last time he broke 4.0 a carry? Anyways they would be better served just letting Chris Brown start, he was a dominant college player and maybe he can translate that into the pros. He's a huge sleeper I drafted him last year but unfortunately he pulled his hamstring in camp and that took away any possibility of him starting.

1999, but you have to realize how much they pounded him, especially when mcnair was injured. He is done though, but he could be a decent backup somewhere.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:08 pm

losing tait would be huge for kansas city. hes one of the main reason that priest has those giant holes to run through. if i were kansas city id want to keep that line together as long as possible, its easily the best in the league.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:12 pm

terpfan wrote:losing tait would be huge for kansas city. hes one of the main reason that priest has those giant holes to run through. if i were kansas city id want to keep that line together as long as possible, its easily the best in the league.

Agreed, they need to match that offer.

"We already have alot of money invested in our O-line."

Duh, and the ends justify the means. They need to keep that line together.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Purple_Pride » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:50 pm

look at Priests numbers, no RB scores like 30 TD's a year without an amazing O-Line. I think it would be a HUGE mistake o let him go. To keep him Im sure they will have to suffer else where but i think there are other positions that I would alter before that O-Line.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk