Free Agency - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Free Agency

Moderator: Football Moderators

Free Agency

Postby CC » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:00 pm

I just read this article from Profootballtalk.com
I thought it was pretty interesting.
FREE AGENT MARKET OUT OF CONTROL (AGAIN)

After four full days of free agency, many league insiders are echoing past complaints of an orgiastic spending spree that has resulted in more than a few players getting far more money than they're worth.

It all makes us wonder whether some teams are interested in winning -- or whether they simply want to flex their muscles by spending money.

After all, with revenue sharing, luxury suites, and a billion-dollar television deal, none of the NFL teams is losing money. And with the bottom half of every roster essentially composed of a group of fungible minimum-salary veterans and rookies, many teams can afford to throw cash around in March without significantly hurting their ability to field an objectively competitive team in September.

So as the talent level in the NFL continues to compress, we're starting to think that the free-agency frenzy has a lot more to do with the egos of G.M.'s and owners than it has to do with putting together championship teams.

One personnel exec commented on some of the early signings.

Take defensive tackle Fred Robbins, who left Minnesota because he wasn't good enough to start. Robbins' refuge was a six-year, $20 million contract from the Giants. Robbins "has been in the witness protection program his entire career," said the source.

And before the Vikings start feeling too good about letting Robbins go, the source also took aim at the decision to foist more than $30 million upon 5'9" cornerback Antoine Winfield, who likely asked for a booster seat while he was being wined and dined by the Jets and Vikes.

"We wouldn't have given him $500,000 to sign," said the source.

How about John Tait? "A stiff," said the source.

Another insider was amazed by the Redskins' decision to offer a six-year, $15 million deal to Rams cornerback Jerametrius Butler.

"I can see [Joe] Gibbs sitting in his office now, looking at NASCAR mags and waiting for Little Danny to barge in again and say, 'Hey Grandpap, we got another . . . . We got another . . . . We got another,' and Gibbs having to look at his football guide to see who in the hell the guy is."

One NFL player who once played with Butler told us, quite simply, that the third-year pro "is not that good."

Of course, whether or not a guy is "not that good" doesn't matter. At this stage of the offseason, the only real game is the grabbing of headlines by the spending of coin. Because if the buzz created by spending a chunk salary cap money sells some more tickets and/or jerseys and/or bobbleheads at a time when the sports world otherwise is focused on baseball (yawn) and NCAA basketball (snore), signing an overrated turd might just be a good business move.

But the consensus in many circles is that, even if it's a blueprint for financial prosperity, it's not the pathway to the Super Bowl.

And the end result is a mantra spreading throughout the league:

"We have to get that guy before the other team does, even if he sucks."
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:35 pm

I love "insiders" and "sources". Cowboy up and put your name out there, don't hide behind anonymity. If you're gonna criticize someone, don't be afraid to stand up and accept the criticism back at you. Sounds like someone is mad his team isn't pursuing players in FA (Miami).
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:03 pm

Bleh, the whole nonsense about spending money to spend money and not to win championships is a bit beyond me....this guy needs to back it up with some facts.

Last time I looked, this year's super bowl champion (Patriots), got an enormous boost from a couple key free agents, namely Rodney Harrison and Ted Washington.

But hey, they probably just wanted to sell Ted Washington bobble-head dolls :rolleyes:
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Purple_Pride » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:17 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Bleh, the whole nonsense about spending money to spend money and not to win championships is a bit beyond me....this guy needs to back it up with some facts.

Last time I looked, this year's super bowl champion (Patriots), got an enormous boost from a couple key free agents, namely Rodney Harrison and Ted Washington.

But hey, they probably just wanted to sell Ted Washington bobble-head dolls :rolleyes:

and although he did not play due to injury, the Pats also signed R. Colvin to a big deal last year.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:04 pm

what is this crap?? u would think there was nothing to write about. :-t
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby UtopianHopes » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:08 pm

terpfan wrote:what is this crap?? u would think there was nothing to write about. :-t

just realize, what you have in store for next season...lol j/k
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheHeat24 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:34 pm

KingGhidra wrote:I love "insiders" and "sources". Cowboy up and put your name out there, don't hide behind anonymity. If you're gonna criticize someone, don't be afraid to stand up and accept the criticism back at you. Sounds like someone is mad his team isn't pursuing players in FA (Miami).

Amen to that, the dolphins owner is too cheap to throw out the money. He lost players to garbage teams liek the lions and the bears, who wants to play for those teams except tait who has aquaintancse in chitown.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Purple_Pride » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:37 pm

wouldnt these "insiders" get in a lot of trouble from their respective teams if they were found out to be feeding the media "inside" info.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk