Vikings Sign Robinson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vikings Sign Robinson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby steelyeri » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:41 am

thanks for the link KG. some of those numbers are incredible. an average of 19% growth in one year. wow. 37 percent growth in one year for the raiders. damn. where do i sign up?

that is weird about the vikes and the revenue search. they bring up many revenue questions i guess. but it also reinforces my arguement that an exciting team like the vikes create lots of interest, i though that would translate into dollars. i also thougt that a team with randy moss and culpepper would bring in more money than the bears and the lions. i guess stadium attendance and ticket prices have a lot to do with it. i would like to take a look at this past season's numbers but they probably aren't out yet. anyway enough rambling.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby fntsyrookie » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:57 am

I have mixed emotions about the signing of Robinson. He's had some good years, and that I like. He's also been injured qutie a bit, and obviously that I don't like. He seems to be healthy now, we'll see if he can reamain that way. This could end up being a really good move by the Vikes, or it could end up being another D'Wayne Bates type of move. I'm not sold on Robinson yet.

Also Moss should probably be the #1 receiver on any cheatsheet, regardless of who's on the other side of him. The only player in NFL history to average 100 yards and a touchdown in every game throughout the season? That's money in the bank come fantasy time.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Strider » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:00 am

Canacuna wrote:Another team in the Darrell Jackson sweepstakes is eliminated. ;-D

...or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Nice signing by the Vikings, although they need to focus more on defense, IMO. They only need one WR, anyway.

yea really why didn't we try to sign woodsen or springs or some important defensivve player i mean four defenders could be on moss and he would still catch the ball!!!!
Strider
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:29 am

KingGhidra wrote:
steelyeri wrote:damn i understand minnesota is a relatively small market but the vikes are an exciting team. do they get much support from their fans? like in terms of revenue? im curious, could anyone post a link to a list? (of team's revenue)

Very strange... I typed in NFL team revenue in google and 2 of the top 3 results had to do with the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings team website is one of the top 10 google sites based on that search also and accounts for 5 of the first 10 entries. That's almost as good as typing in "miserable failure" and pressing the I'm feeling lucky button (go ahead try it. Make sure you put it in quotes). Searching "weapons of mass destruction" with I'm feeling lucky is fun too. Anyway, back on topic.

Here's a decent link.
http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2003/0915/081tab.html

Minnesota is 30th out of 32 teams in overall team values, but NFL franchises are hardly hurting. The value of the TV contract alone almost covers each team's salary cap (contract is worth about $77m per team).

The reason MN is so low in revenue is beacuse we don't own our stadium. If Red would be willing to spend the money to build a nice stadium it would pay off after a while. When you don't own your stadium it is harder to make big money. Vikings fans are actually very loyal though, so they do have a very big fan support.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:40 am

On the surface this seems to be an upgrade at WR, but also seems to be a silly move be the Vikes. There Wr corps were a strength of the team and with all of the holes they have on D, they should be concentrating thier efforts there, IMO.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:56 pm

I posted this in the Vikings forum, but sense everyone is talking about it here, I'll share my opinion.

Well, I'm glad that Red is opening the checkbook and we are signing free agents, but we do not need this guy at all.

He is just another big play reciever. We have Moss, Campbell, Burleson, and now Robinson. Those are all the big play, go deep recievers. This doesn't even come close to filling the void left by Cris. We need a possesion reciever! Not another big play guy! Someone like Cris who we could throw to on 3rd and 4 without having to run a risky screen play. We need someone like Hines Ward or as much as I hate to say it, Keyshawn Johnson. Someone who will go across the middle and block. Cris Carter wasn't a Randy Moss-type player. He played like Keyshawn(without the attitude, at least when he was with the Vikes)

Well, I'm done ranting. Maybe you guys like the move better. Just don't need Robinson IMO.
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Purple_Pride » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:09 pm

like Zimm said, the vikings to not recieve any parking or concession revenues. the dome has very few luxury boxes and the Vikes have to share ticket revenues. They sell a lot of gear and seel out every game but without there own stadium they dont reep all the benefits.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:44 pm

moochman wrote:On the surface this seems to be an upgrade at WR, but also seems to be a silly move be the Vikes. There Wr corps were a strength of the team and with all of the holes they have on D, they should be concentrating thier efforts there, IMO.

I agree, but theyve got enough movie to take care of that. And WR corps? no it was WR corp (Moss) the rest didnt do much. Now that the offense has been taken care of...go after the D!

And the steelers are comfortably in the middle of the revenue...and they just built a new stadium :-)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk