Q&A with T.O. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Q&A with T.O.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Q&A with T.O.

Postby Canacuna » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:17 pm

Editor's Note: Inquirer sports columnist Stephen A. Smith visited with NFL free-agent-want-to-be Terrell Owens in Atlanta on Monday night. Owens did not disappoint, covering everything from the Eagles and Ravens, to his agent and his surprising trade by the 49ers.

Look for the full interview in Wednesday's Sports section of The Inquirer. In the meantime, here is a preview of what the star wide receiver had to say:

Interview... wrote:Q: How badly do you want to be in Philadelphia?

A: So bad! I can't even explain it. When we were close to signing, I felt that renewed energy so bad, I was ready for the offseason to end right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Did you talk with (Eagles QB McNabb) Donovan?

A: Yeah! I called him the night of the trade at 11 p.m. I was so distraught. He told me he was going to work on his end to see if there was anything he could do. Like I told Ozzie (Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome): Why would you want somebody that doesn't want you? It's crazy. I told him, I don't want to be in Baltimore. I want to be in Philadelphia. I don't want to say definitely that I'd hold out. But I want to emphasize I want to be in Philly so bad, that holding out is actually on my mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What was your initial reaction when you learned of the trade?

A: Disappointed. Furious. All of the above.

Q: What's your problem with the 49ers' organization?

A: They're always interested in being politically correct, in covering their backsides.

Q: So what about all the talk involving T.O. being scared to go over the middle? Short-arming passes. Etc. What do you say about that?

A: "My game, my route-running changed -- because of Jeff Garcia. I'll openly admit that. During the course of a game, I could just get a feel for how things are going to go with this guy. If he's starting to rush while we're coming out of our breaks, if he's already running and scared to stay in the pocket just because he's feeling a little pressure, that makes me run my rush my routes even more and the chemistry and timing is all messed up. For instance, we use to go in meetings and they'd blame Cedric Wilson for everything. Why are you cutting the route short? The route is 16-yards, 12-yards, etc., and everybody was cutting the routes short just to speed up their routes to compensate for Garcia rushing everything in the offense."

Q: So you were overcompensating?

A: Exactly! Don't get me wrong, I definitely dropped some balls I probably should not have dropped. I know that. But that was a part of me trying to do too much, rushing my game, not knowing when I'd see the ball again or not.

Q: Did you ever reach a point where you said, 'I'm not going to endanger myself. I've got a future to think about and this guy (Garcia) is not helping me?'

A: At one point I did. But I still ran my routes hard. I've never been afraid to go over the middle. In eight years in this league, this is the only year they've said I've short-armed some passes. I wonder why?

Q: Did opposing cornerbacks and safeties say anything to you about that?

A: All the time.

Q: What would they say?

A: They'd say, "Dude, I know you'll be happy when you get out of here." Last year's Pro Bowl, cats were asking me, "Dude, how have ya'll been winning with this quarterback? That's ya'll quarterback." This is what they were really saying. But what could I do?

That's what I had to deal with? I tried to lobby to put Tim Rattay in there, but it didn't work. Garcia is what I had to work with.

Q: Do you want to be a free agent, or do you want to be a member of the Eagles?

A: I want to be with the Eagles. There is no doubt in my mind. I'm going to the Eagles.

Q: Why are you so hell-bent on landing in Philadelphia?

A: People have written them off. They think their time is up. I don't think so. Nobody knows what's going to happen, especially if I'm there with Donovan McNabb. That's just how I feel.

Q: You want to be in Philly that bad, huh?

A: Between that 15-to-20 minute period of talking about the Eagles to when I got the call from Ozzie saying I'm traded, I wanted to head to Philly to start working out right now. I was so hyped, so ready.

Q: Is Terrell Owens enough to lift the Eagles' offense to higher ground?

A: They already have Donovan McNabb, who's a playmaker, himself. If I'm there, then you've got to worry about me. Then there's (Brian) Westbrook and Buckhalter coming out of the backfield, and both are playmakers. Man, please!

Source: Q&A with Terrell Owens

...Wow, I'm surprised he bashed Jeff Garcia like that! ;-7
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:29 pm

Good read, can't believe someone would actually say some of that stuff publically. Usually that's the kind of stuff that people just infer and put those words into athletes mouths.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Buckychudd » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:31 pm

SS: There's no I in Team.

TO: We'll, there ain't no We either.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Purple_Pride » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:31 pm

what a b---h!! everyday i hate this loser more and more. he wasnt a free agent. he got traded. tough luck. so its not his choice, he is not the GM.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hayesb26 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:33 pm

TO does give me a good laugh though. at least hes not quiet about how he feels! I love seeing him trash Garcia though, cant stand Jeffey.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Football Newbie » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:34 pm

hayesb26 wrote:TO does give me a good laugh though. at least hes not quiet about how he feels! I love seeing him trash Garcia though, cant stand Jeffey.

;-D
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby fantasizing » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:40 pm

While the Garcia bashing was a little uncalled for, I do agree with TO on a number of points:
1) Accusing TO of being scared to go across the middle is ridiculous. In all the years I've watched SF and TO, he is one of those WRs that cut through the middle as best any other WR out there. Most of TO's big plays come when he "cuts" through the middle.
2) In watching alot of SF games, Garcia tends to panic, or at least it seems that way, and he often starts rushing a little too early or making a bad throw. Having said that, however, Garcia did buy alot of time with his scrambling to allow TO to get open.
3) I always believed that his dropped balls this season were a result of him thinking about running after the catch before making the catch. Like he said, he was trying to make plays.
His frustration with the play calling most certainly had alot to do with those.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:06 pm

I am impressed with the interviewer asking some tough questions, and he was rewarded with TO going off on Garcia and sounding like a bigger a**. Gee, TO, did you ever stop to think that Garcia isn't panicing as much as he is running for his life. Your O-line let you down. Typical TO, pointing his finger at the wrong person. First it's the 9ers instead of his agent and Gene Upshaw, now Garcia instead of the line.
And TO, just because Jeffery is 'happy' doesn't mean he has happy feet!
I hope you do get traded to Philly, can't wait to hear what you have to say after McNabb throws the ball 20 yards short of your feet a few times.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:41 pm

hayesb26 wrote:TO does give me a good laugh though. at least hes not quiet about how he feels! I love seeing him trash Garcia though, cant stand Jeffey.

I agree. At least he's entertaining and speaks his mind.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Q&A with T.O.

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:17 am

I thought this interview would be much more entertaining if you left the responses the same but changed some questions.

Interview... wrote:Q: How badly do you want to see the Paris Hilton video?

A: So bad! I can't even explain it. When we were close to signing, I felt that renewed energy so bad, I was ready for the offseason to end right now.

Q: What was your initial reaction when you saw the video?

A: Disappointed. Furious. All of the above.

Q: So you were overcompensating for your deficiencies in the team shower?

A: Exactly! Don't get me wrong, I definitely dropped some balls I probably should not have dropped. I know that. But that was a part of me trying to do too much, rushing my game, not knowing when I'd see the ball again or not.

Q: Did Jeff Garcia ever drop the soap in the shower?

A: All the time.

KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk