Jaguars add depth to secondary - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Jacksonville Jaguars

Jaguars add depth to secondary

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jaguars add depth to secondary

Postby WebHamster » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:00 am

Jacksonville, FL (Sports Network) - The Jacksonville Jaguars signed free agent cornerbacks Dewayne Washington and Lewis Sanders Tuesday in an effort to bolster their secondary.

The signings, which come a week after starting corner Fernando Bryant left the Jags to join the Detroit Lions, bring Jacksonville's total number of free- agent acquisitions to five so far this offseason.

Washington comes to Jacksonville from the Pittsburgh Steelers, where he was a mainstay in the starting lineup since 1998 before losing his job midway through last season.

"He's a savvy veteran who's been a very durable player," said Jacksonville's director of pro personnel Charles Bailey. "He's strong versus the run and has not missed any games. He's played on a lot of winning teams. He's a good person and a good fit for us; very competitive."

The 10-year veteran compiled 60 tackles with one interception and seven passes defended in 16 games, including 12 starts, in 2003.

Sanders, 25, was a fourth-round pick of the Cleveland Browns in the 2000 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-1, 210-pounder, who has fought the injury bug in his career so far, can play corner or safety.

"You're hoping these guys who've been around 3-4 years have matured," said James 'Shack' Harris, vice president of player personnel. "We may be catching him where he's maturing. He's always been a promising type of guy."

In limited action, Sanders recorded 12 tackles and two passes defensed last season.

The Jaguars also signed offensive lineman Mike Compton, formerly of the New England Patriots, after previously adding tight end Todd Yoder and linebacker Tommy Hendricks.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 206)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby badger526 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:23 pm

I read on the Jags website that they lost both Fernando Bryant and Jason Craft. I think Craft went to the Saints. That leaves the Jags with Rasheen Mathis (if he plays corner again) and some other guys. I'll think we'll be ok though, Craft and Bryant weren't that great.
The 2004-2005 Shook-up Can of Fury
QB Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner
RB Deuce, Rudi, Michael Pittman
WR Jimmy Smith, Randy Moss, David Terrel
TE LJ Smith
K John Hall
D Seahawks
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:14 pm

badger526 wrote:I read on the Jags website that they lost both Fernando Bryant and Jason Craft. I think Craft went to the Saints. That leaves the Jags with Rasheen Mathis (if he plays corner again) and some other guys. I'll think we'll be ok though, Craft and Bryant weren't that great.

Heh, no see you are screwed. You have DW. :-#
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby badger526 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:14 pm

There's a whole bunch of other guys besides Dewayne Washington. They traded Jason Craft to the Saints for a fifth round draft pick, so they might use that pick on a corner. The other potential starting corners on the roster right now include Washington, Rashean Mathis, Kiwaukee Thomas, and another new addtion Juran Bolden. Here's some info on Bolden I found on the Jags site:

Bolden, 6-2, 207, is a journeyman who began his professional career in Atlanta, moved on to the Packers, Panthers and Chiefs and played one year in Canada before returning to Atlanta two years ago. Last year, Bolden won a starting job in Atlanta, forcing veteran Ray Buchanan to be moved to safety.

“He had a good year last season. He's very good on coverage teams,” Bailey added

Prior to emerging as a starter last season, Bolden had made his mark as a special teams gunner, earning the nickname “Big Stick” for his forceful tackles. The Jaguars were interested in Bolden for his special teams skills, but there's hope Bolden is on the verge of taking his cornerback game to a higher level.

I like how big he his. Mathis is also a good tackling corner. If Bolden performs like he should, they might be a good one-two punch.
The 2004-2005 Shook-up Can of Fury
QB Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner
RB Deuce, Rudi, Michael Pittman
WR Jimmy Smith, Randy Moss, David Terrel
TE LJ Smith
K John Hall
D Seahawks
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Jacksonville Jaguars