Kordell in the CFL? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kordell in the CFL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kordell in the CFL?

Postby Canacuna » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:25 pm

ProFootballTalk.com wrote:If former Steelers and Bears quarterback Kordell Stewart can't find an acceptable gig in the NFL, he can always take refuge in Canada.

Last week, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers put Stewart's name on their exclusive negotiation list after he was released by the Bears last week.

"As soon as I saw it I put him on, because I figured 'Hmm, maybe he won't get signed in the NFL'," said G.M. Brendan Taman. "You never know."

Stewart joins Shaun King, Tee Martin, and Ray Lucas on the Blue Bombers' list of players as to whom the team holds exclusive negotiation rights.

"If they can't get back in the NFL and maybe they don't want to play [in the] Arena [League], maybe they'll try their luck in Canada for a year or two."

Though Stewart likely is too proud to resort to Canada if he can't find an acceptable NFL gig, Canada presents his best opportunity for a starting job. The prevailing sentiment around the NFL is that Stewart is a one-dimensional player, and that the offense in which he plays must be tailored to his primary skills as a rollout passer who can read only half of the field.

So if someone decides to add Stewart as a backup, they'll need to have a separate set of plays that they use whenever Kordell gets into the game -- which means that, as a practical matter, those plays will need to be in the broader playbook used for the starter.

This dynamic suggests to us that the Bills won't be interested in adding Kordell, since current starter Drew Bledsoe wouldn't be able to execute the bread-and-butter plays that new head coach Mike Mularkey designed for Stewart when they were together in Pittsburgh.

As we see it, Stewart's best bet might be Atlanta, where starter Mike Vick plays a lot like a young Kordell -- moving out of the pocket and throwing on the run.

Source: BOMBERS SQUAT ON STEWART
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gunslinger » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:56 pm

Stewart...blah!

:-P
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:49 pm

Exactly where he deserves! :-[
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sinnlos26 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:17 pm

Iraq would be better... i REALLY dont like him :-#
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Purple_Pride » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:27 pm

man i live in Winnipeg. I dont want Slash. BOOOOO. yes thats right. i think Khari Jones is better than Kordell Stewart
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk