Worst California team in 2004? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Worst California team in 2004?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Worst California team in 2004?

Postby JrcWy » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:29 pm

The free agency market is very young but all the early moves have got me wondering, who is the worst team in California going into next season. Here are my thoughts. Tear them apart, praise them, post your own, whatever...

Bad: Oakland is an old team. Most franchises are evaluating seniors coming out of college while the Raiders are plagued with seniors(only their seniors are the kind that qualify for a 10% discount at Denny's Restaurant). I see nothing out of this team except more health and injury issues in the upcoming season. Having no runningback doesn’t help the situation. Norv Turner is a better option than last year's waterboy of a coach so I am going to rank them above the other two NFL teams.

Worse: San Diego is young and stupid. This team should have signed Garcia before he could leave the state. They would have a top 10 QB, a few more years to develop Brees into a good NFL player, and a first overall pick to grab a great receiver (or probably a more important defensive player). But instead they elected to use a first round pick for a QB and resign Flutie who makes the Raider's roster look young. Oh well, I hate Marty and love seeing him suffer for his own mistakes.

Worst: San Fran has made some bad moves this off-season. The only way they can redeem themselves in my opinion, is join the PAC-10 and let USC join the NFC West. I don't think the Niner's can beat Oregon or Washington State, but they could still get a bid to the Humanitarian Bowl. The victim of all this is Tim Rattay who is never going to get a chance to prove he has talent when he is throwing to no-names. I hope 9ers fans are ready to be patient.

Best: USC. This is hard to say since I go to WSU. But don't try to tell me the Trojans aren't the best team in California. I'd also cite Pete Carroll as the best coach in the state.

Rebuttal?
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 523
Joined: 1 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Worst California team in 2004?

Postby Canacuna » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:32 pm

JrcWY wrote:The free agency market is very young but all the early moves have got me wondering, who is the worst team in California going into next season. Here are my thoughts. Tear them apart, praise them, post your own, whatever...

Bad: Oakland is an old team. Most franchises are evaluating seniors coming out of college while the Raiders are plagued with seniors(only their seniors are the kind that qualify for a 10% discount at Denny's Restaurant). I see nothing out of this team except more health and injury issues in the upcoming season. Having no runningback doesn’t help the situation. Norv Turner is a better option than last year's waterboy of a coach so I am going to rank them above the other two NFL teams.

Worse: San Diego is young and stupid. This team should have signed Garcia before he could leave the state. They would have a top 10 QB, a few more years to develop Brees into a good NFL player, and a first overall pick to grab a great receiver (or probably a more important defensive player). But instead they elected to use a first round pick for a QB and resign Flutie who makes the Raider's roster look young. Oh well, I hate Marty and love seeing him suffer for his own mistakes.

Worst: San Fran has made some bad moves this off-season. The only way they can redeem themselves in my opinion, is join the PAC-10 and let USC join the NFC West. I don't think the Niner's can beat Oregon or Washington State, but they could still get a bid to the Humanitarian Bowl. The victim of all this is Tim Rattay who is never going to get a chance to prove he has talent when he is throwing to no-names. I hope 9ers fans are ready to be patient.

Best: USC. This is hard to say since I go to WSU. But don't try to tell me the Trojans aren't the best team in California. I'd also cite Pete Carroll as the best coach in the state.

Rebuttal?


None from me. ...And go Cougs!
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 5062
Joined: 7 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Home sweet home.

Re: Worst California team in 2004?

Postby JrcWy » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:41 pm

Canacuna wrote:None from me....And go Cougs!


Finally, A little love for Pullman! THANK YOU
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 523
Joined: 1 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:01 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... SF will at least be better than SD next year, and probably better than Oakland as well. Losing Owens will hurt, but Garcia is not as big a loss as people are making him out to be.

SF easily has a better defense then either of these teams.

Also, its interesting to see everyone bagging Rattay, when last year everyone was saying he should remain starting QB after Garcia went down.

My prediction: SF ends up around .500 next year (better than Oak/SD), and are back in the playoffs in 2005. Honestly, I'm more concerned with their O-line than I am with Rattay.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1863
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Portland, Oregon

Postby terpfan » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:31 pm

9er Fan wrote:Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... SF will at least be better than SD next year, and probably better than Oakland as well. Losing Owens will hurt, but Garcia is not as big a loss as people are making him out to be.

SF easily has a better defense then either of these teams.

Also, its interesting to see everyone bagging Rattay, when last year everyone was saying he should remain starting QB after Garcia went down.

My prediction: SF ends up around .500 next year (better than Oak/SD), and are back in the playoffs in 2005. Honestly, I'm more concerned with their O-line than I am with Rattay.

but you're not biased ;-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 11116
Joined: 30 May 2002
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:04 am

9er Fan wrote:Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... SF will at least be better than SD next year, and probably better than Oakland as well. Losing Owens will hurt, but Garcia is not as big a loss as people are making him out to be.

SF easily has a better defense then either of these teams.

Also, its interesting to see everyone bagging Rattay, when last year everyone was saying he should remain starting QB after Garcia went down.

My prediction: SF ends up around .500 next year (better than Oak/SD), and are back in the playoffs in 2005. Honestly, I'm more concerned with their O-line than I am with Rattay.


Rattay looked good when he played last season, and I don't think he's a cause for concern. I'd be more worried about who he is throwing to, or more importantly, if he will even be able to throw at all with that offensive line...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 5062
Joined: 7 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Home sweet home.

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:04 am

I think SF will be better than at least one of the other California teams next year, but not by much. The defense has finally shown some improvement in the past two years, so as long as they can put up some points they will win their share of games. The Niners still have the correct mold of receivers (tall, good route runners) for the West Coast offense, and Rattay can throw. As has been stated earlier, we will have to see if he will get time to do so. If not, we could have an incarnation of the 2003 Browns on our hands...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 12045
Joined: 22 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Castle, PA

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:59 am

oakland is the worst

san fran has a good D at least and i think SD will improve

lol @ USC

i wish nfl would have some pro vs college exhibition games like mlb does
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Strider » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:09 am

lol well put except for the whole USC in the NFL thing....course they have to be better than the 9ers
Strider
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 208
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Minas Tirith fighting Sauron

Postby Football Newbie » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:37 pm

Anonymous wrote:oakland is the worst

san fran has a good D at least and i think SD will improve

lol @ USC

i wish nfl would have some pro vs college exhibition games like mlb does


that would show some of these underclassmen that they werent ready for the big time yet, geting hit by ray lewis at full speed will knock some sense into anyone.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1148
Joined: 7 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 18:52 hours
(and 34 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact