Leave it to the Saints - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Leave it to the Saints

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby r_singh » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:11 pm

The Saints have been quite this offseason, but they have done a good job w/o any one paying attention to them. They have resigned Fakhir Brown, who showed some life at the end of the season when Dale Carter went down, they resigned Derrick Rodgers, which i dont know why??, and they resigned Fre d Thomas, whom is a great tackling CB, but speeed is a ?. In the free agency pool they have signed Aaron Stecker, who is a great backup RB and special teams player, and Brian Young, whom i know little about, but have read that he is a young good talent at DT. Just watch they are waiting to get that big time defensive player, but who's left??

Saints All The Way. If any one has heard any more bout the Saints plans. please post.
r_singh

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby lsufan » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:38 pm

i just have no confidence in A. Brooks. i feel the defense should play better next season if they can stay healthy and i expect hasslet to pick up some good defensive players in the draft. Brooks sloppy play last season hurt our team more then anything else in my opinion. too many fumbles and ints in the redzone. the defense gets a lot of bad press but many of our good players were injured. there is no excuse for Brooks. Stalworth needs to step up as our second best WR or we need to start looking for a new WR also.
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:55 pm

Fakhir...what was his mom thinking?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:42 am

The Saints and the Dolphins seem to be in about the same situation in different conferences. They have some great players, but they just can't put the whole season together to finally make it big. I would say the Saints have a better QB situation than the Dolphins, but not by much. Brooks was such a fantasy waste for me last year. I had him on my bench all year because I either couldn't cut him due to a can't cut list or he would pull out some monster game which made me think he might be worth keeping for another week. Haslett and Wannstedt should go to a Anthony Robbins convention together so they can ramp their teams up a little more next year.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:59 am

One of the areas that was the weakest for the Saints D was the linebacker position. WIth all the "big time" LB's that were on the market, I think the only one they had in for a visit was Carlos Emmons and obviously they weren't able to sign him. It's a bit frustrating, but its not as frustrating as having to watch Aaron Brooks continue to make mistakes. I contribute his poor play to two things; 1. Getting that big contract before he brought us to the playoffs (not counting when he had to step in for Blake) and 2. Coaching. When he first came out he had a tendency to tuck the ball and run more often than they liked, I guess they attribute it to him not allowing his recievers time to get open. So now they have coached that tendencey out of him so when his recievers are blanketed, instead of tucking the ball and gaining a couple yards he waits to get stripped or tries to force the ball where he shouldn't. I saw this in person several times last year.
Either way, I'm looking forward to see what they do in the draft this year, and hoping that Johnathan Sullivan will show that he was worth trading up for in the last one.

Friendliness: %

Postby IrishStout » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:01 am

Whoops, didn't know I was signed in as a guest, oh well, the low post count continues :)
IrishStout
Water Boy
Water Boy

Saints

Postby NFLknowitall » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:00 pm

The Saints blew it with Jake Delhomme. He is a winner and that is all that counts. Brooks hasn't proved anything. What a huge mistake! I like your new backup that you got from the Vikings last year in Todd Bouman. He is a good young QB with a big arm. Smarter than Brooks. Time will tell if the Saints blow that too. Turley did say some things that made the Saints Organization look really bad. But if the shoe fits.

Good Luck.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby IrishStout » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:02 pm

I agree that letting Delhomme was probably a mistake, but eserved a chance to start and he wasn't going to get the chance to in NOLA anytime soon. Bouman seems to be a good replacement, but that remains to be seen because he hasn't played that much. However, I do think that letting Turley go was the right decision. In any organization you can't keep a whiney ***** around who's performance was on the decline. I'm sure he was happy to go, thats reflected in his comments about the Saints, but the Saints have been bringing in talent, I'm just not sure the coaching staff is where it needs to be. Even though I like Haslett, I'm not to keen on some of his decisions.
IrishStout
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TheHeat24 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:51 pm

Aaron Brooks is always making mistakes because they are always playing from behind and it makes him have to force throws, once they get some form of a defence you will see him improve. I think a major problem with the saints is Haslett, he is the most worthless coach in the NFL, I wouldve fired him before McGinnis and Jauron, both of those guys had almost nothing to work with and still did a respectable job. Him and Wanestedt are two of the worst coaches in the nfl.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk