dallas gets henson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

dallas gets henson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:13 pm

Azrael wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Average college career? He was the pre-season favorite for the heisman trophy the year he declared for the yankees, and was projected as the top QB and probably a top 3 pick overall.

How can you say that? He played one year where he threw for 2,100 yards and 18 TDs, big deal. I guess the talent pool was down that year, as evidenced by Crouch winning the Heisman.

How can I say that? Sorry, but it wasn't me saying it, it was every college and pro scout out there.

The way you worded your original post, it was as if you'd never really heard of Henson before. I was just telling you where the rest of us had heard of him from, and that's the top of every scout's list out there.

Don't argue with me about it, argue with them...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:35 pm

I've read before that the Texans GM would have drafted Drew Henson over David Carr had he not chosen baseball. He was considered the top QB prospect at the time...

Anyway, what's with the Cowboys and failed baseball players?

Quincy Carter - Chicago Cubs
Drew Henson - New York Yankees
Chad Hutchinson - St. Louis Cardinals
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Azrael » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:05 pm

Free Bagel wrote: He was the pre-season favorite for the heisman trophy.

Looks like you saying it to me.

Here's a couple 2001 pre-season Heisman links. I see Henson nowhere on these.

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0815/1239814.html

http://www.inside99.net/NCAA/heisman/heisman.htm

You might say, well Henson left before this. Well then show me some rankings with Henson in them.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:37 pm

Good lord man, get off my case. I'm just passing the word of pretty much everyone that knew anything about college football the year Henson left. He was long gone by the time those rankings came out. Here, let me spell it out for you since you're taking every word to the most literal extent.

When-he-said-he-was-going-to-play-baseball-all-the-scouts-and-analysts-were-like-why-the-hell-would-he-do-that-if-he-stayed-in-football-he-would-probably-be-the-heisman-winner-and-a-top-5-draft-pick.

You said you never heard of him and act like he was some unknown guy prior to this. You asked where he came from. Well he's the guy who probably would've been taken #1 overall by the Texans when he came out, but now the Cowboys got him for a 3rd rounder. It wasn't like he was some mid-range qb that no one had ever heard of before he went to the yankees. It was a HUGE deal when it happened because he was such a good football player.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Azrael » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:43 pm

Well since you're saying he would have been this high and mighty draft pick way back when

Show-me-your-back-up
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:46 pm

What do you want? I'm not gonna go hunting around the internet for a 3 year old article about something everyone already knows. Go watch sportscenter from 3 years ago and you'll see Mel Kiper say the same damn thing. Hell, you'll here 40 other guys say it, IT WAS COMMON KNOWLEDGE. There are no mock drafts because he never declared fo the NFL. But when he went to baseball every sports show, commentator, analyst, etc. was like "if he had stayed and then gone into the NFL he could've been a top 5 pick," and as Canacuna said even the Texans GM alluded to the fact that he would've taken him over Carr.

It's like you saying Mcgahee was a top 5 pick before he got hurt, and then I say O YA SHOW ME MOCK DRAFT OF HIM #3 BACK IT UP BABY!!! There aren't any, but everyone knows that if Mcgahee hadn't gotten hurt he would've been a top 5 pick, it's been said a million times on any self-respecting sports show, etc. This is the same damn thing.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby moochman » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:52 am

Can't we all get along? Being from michigan and having been a Wolverine fan during the Brady/Henson era, I can vouche for the hype that followed Henson throughout his career. he was spoken of in terms of being a Heisman hopeful and a sure fire top 3 pick. This of course is biased as it comes from the Michigan press corps. However if you prefer there's this:

"The 2000 season was Henson's only year as the Wolverines' full-time starter, having backed up two-time Super Bowl MVP Tom Brady his first two years. Even then, Henson missed the first three games because of a broken right foot. Once healthy, he threw for more than 2,000 yards with 18 touchdowns and only four interceptions.
Henson, in turn, was installed as the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy in 2001 and projected more than a year in advance as the No. 1pick in the 2002 NFL draft."
Here's the link:

[url] http://www.gogreenbay.com/packers/page. ... cle=124331
[/url]

It's not just the bagel's opinion, but was thought to be so by many.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:01 am

Let's just hope he turns out better than my fellow college alumnus R.J. Bowers. He was in the minors a little longer than Henson was, and he went to a D III school (hardly a sign of great talent like Meechigan is), so Henson should still have time to turn the corner and hopefully live up to his "expectations."
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:55 am

Let me first say that I have doubts about Henson. That said, he is a great talent and was compared to John Elway when he was in college. If he is dedicated and not just cashing in while he can (lets remember he has been finincially rewarded for each move he's made), he could be a great pro. He has all of the tools, just not sure of his motivation or desire.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk