Look out NFL- Brock Lesnar on his way - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Look out NFL- Brock Lesnar on his way

Moderator: Football Moderators

Look out NFL- Brock Lesnar on his way

Postby nsulham » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:29 pm

For all you wrestling geeks who might not have heard, Wrestlemania is Brock Lesnar's last match. Apparently he's tired of the travel and business and word is he wants to try out for the NFL.

Physically and athletically I think he'd make a great linebacker, the dude was a GREAT wrestler in college. Cerebrally is where I think he might have problems, picking up the formations and whatnot.

I know I read a story that said Mike Tice is already on record as saying he has no interest in him or something like that. Should be interesting to watch unfold to see if anyone gives him a shot.
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thelongestyard » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:39 pm

WWE's Lesnar might bolt for NFL
FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 days ago
WWE superstar Brock Lesnar could be leaving the world of professional wrestling to pursue a career in the NFL.

If a report on PWInsider.com is accurate, Lesnar, 26, announced Tuesday night that he was leaving the WWE after this Sunday's Wrestlemania XX in Madison Square Garden.

Lesnar, who at 6 foot 4, 295 pounds certainly has a body for the NFL, was an NCAA champion wrestler at the University of Minnesota.

An Associated Press report in September 2002 said Lesnar turned down tryout offers from the Tampa Bay Bucs and Washington Redskins, opting instead to sign a developmental contract with the WWE. He joined the company shortly after graduating in 2000 and made his debut just after WrestleMania XVIII in 2002.

Coincidentally, Lesnar's match at this year's Wrestlemania is against Goldberg, who played for the Atlanta Falcons briefly and is also expected to leave the company after the match.

The trend of football players entering the professional wrestling world is nothing new. Steve McMichael was a Bears' lineman. The late Brian Pillman once played for the Bengals. Dwayne Johnson, better known as The Rock, was a star at the University of Miami before a back injury cost him a shot at the NFL. Randy "Macho Man" Savage was originally a minor league prospect fr the Cincinnati Reds.

Johnson and Goldberg even became bona fide stars in their new professions (Johnson having since made another transition into legitimate Hollywood action hero).

That's not even including gridiron greats like Lawrence Taylor and Kevin Greene, who made special appearances in the ring.

And these guys did it with no actual wrestling experience, although Johnson's father and grandfather were early WWF legends.

But the reverse -- a wrestler becoming a pro football player despite no experience -- is unheard of.

The football players that have made the transition have two of the basic qualities necessary for a wrestling career: impressive physiques and a high threshold for pain. Those same qualities aren't nearly enough to make the cut in the NFL.

So what makes Lesnar think he can be the first?

Maybe it's the time he spent working out with veteran NFL guard Corbin Lacina in the 2003 off-season. If the report is accurate, then someone is obviously telling Lesnar he has a shot (and remember, this could be the WWE putting one over on all of us before their marquee event.)

Maybe he figures someone will give him the chance to learn on the job. After all, that's what he's done with the WWE and he went straight to the top there.

Which brings up one more question: Why would he want to leave the company that seems intent on making him a star?

According to the original reports, Lesnar has grown tired of the demanding schedule. There's no off-season in the WWE, the only way to get an extended break is to get badly injured or to become a celebrity in another field a la The Rock.

thelongestyard
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:50 pm

...is he looking for a new, higher paying wrestling contract or something by threatening to jump to the NFL ala Tony Gonzalez and the NBA? Bah...

He certainly looks like he can handle himself, though. He's HUGE. Lesnar and Romo would get along well, methinks. ;-7
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby TheHeat24 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:30 pm

He would never make it into the NFL because he wouldnt pass the steroid testing...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Canacuna » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:33 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:He would never make it into the NFL because he wouldnt pass the steroid testing...

...They sure caught on to Romo quickly... ;-7
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby TheHeat24 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:18 pm

How True

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Azrael » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:31 pm

Canacuna wrote:
TheHeat24 wrote:He would never make it into the NFL because he wouldnt pass the steroid testing...

...They sure caught on to Romo quickly... ;-7

And all along I thought it was Bow Flex.

On another note, there is no question you have to be one heck of an athlete to be a pro wrestler. But I think Lesnar is too muscle bound to be worth while right now. Guys who are that huge and sculpted are built to be looked at, not to chase down runningbacks. He probably can't outrun Tony Saragusa. He'll have to seriously change his training regimine and do it in a short period of time to acclimate his body to doing some other physical activity other than standing there and hulking out.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby moochman » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:15 am

Maybe he should try baseball?
I just hope they tell him that the blocking and tackling, though practiced, isn't scripted like wraslin. Unless you're Farve and Strahan.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:05 am

Here comes the pain!!!!

I knew he was leaving WWE, but didn't know he was thinking about football. Brock is just a monster of a human being. Brock's pretty quick for a 300 pounder being in wrestling and all. I think it would be cool to see him F5 some poor running back while trying to leap for the goal line! ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:19 am

So this guy is gonna try and go into the NFL with no experience just on the notion that he's built?

Are any NFL teams out there gonna give him a shot? There's thousands of super-buff people out there that aren't wrestlers, how does being a wrestler in any way qualify him for this?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk