Raiders sign Rudd - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Raiders sign Rudd

Moderator: Football Moderators

Raiders sign Rudd

Postby steelyeri » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:09 am

Raiders official press release:

RAIDERS ADD VETERAN LINEBACKER DWAYNE RUDD

The Oakland Raiders have signed veteran linebacker Dwayne Rudd. A first round pick by Minnesota in 1997, Rudd has played in 109 league games with 79 starts in seven NFL seasons. He was named All-Pro in 1998 and was a member of the All-Madden Team in both 1998 and 1999.

“We’re pleased to add a veteran of Dwayne's talents,” said Raiders Head Coach Norv Turner.

“He is an athletic, productive performer and we look forward to having Dwayne make a contribution to the Raiders in 2004.”

Rudd, 28, spent his first four pro campaigns with the Vikings, then played two seasons for the Cleveland Browns. He played last season for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, for whom he saw action in all 16 league contests with two starts while also seeing action on special teams.

“I’m very excited about joining the Raiders and look forward to getting started,” said Rudd.

“This is an organization with great history and tradition that I’m happy to be a part of.”

The 6-2, 235-pound Rudd started 31 games in two seasons with Cleveland after joining the Browns as a free agent in 2001. He led the Browns in tackles in 2001 with 122 while starting every game at outside linebacker, then ranked sixth in stops and second in tackles for loss (seven) for Cleveland in 2002.

Rudd originally entered the NFL as the 20th player selected overall in 1997 by Minnesota and posted 44 tackles and five sacks as a rookie. He then started 44 games over the next three years in Minnesota, playing both weakside and strongside linebacker. In 1998, he returned two fumbles for touchdowns – 63 and 94 yards. In 1999, Rudd was credited with a career-high 152 tackles.

The Batesville, Mississippi native was an All-America at the University of Alabama and was Southeastern Conference Player of the Year in 1996. Rudd was named MVP of the Outback Bowl after returning an interception 88 yards for a score to seal Alabama’s win over the University of Michigan.

good pickup. and he's only 28! he's a baby in raider years. disappointing season in 2003 but is a typical raider pickup. they don't have to pay him as much and he will perform well for them.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:57 am

Good pickup for the raaaaaaaaaaidas. The addition of Rudd and Ted Washington will definitely help this D. After they lost Barton I thought they were doomed, but it looks as if they are making some moves in the right direction
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:09 am

i wish the raiders good luck with the helmet dropper. just make sure he doesn't go throwing that thing around during the game. :-t
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby steelyeri » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:14 am

yeah now we have both of the helmet droppers on our team.
(rudd and buchanon) both of which contributed in adding a w to the chief's win column last year. coincidence? i think not. seriously though, i hope they both learned from their mistakes because they are both very talented and contribute a lot to the team. that is when they keep their heads (and helmets) on straight.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Strider » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:55 am

i watched him while he was in MN if he worried half as much bout his game then his celebrations he would be the best ever
Strider
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk