Owens is an eagle - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Owens is an eagle

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:54 pm

From what I've read of the hearing it seems that the whole mess up with the paperwork deadline didn't apply to TO. Seeing how that's what the arbitrator decided, I would have to say TO deserved to be a free agent, and it kinda makes his antics about this a little bit more understandable.

Now, I dont think he's much of a sportsman, but this gives the eagles the offensive boost they needed. TO, McNabb, and Westbrook's fantasy values all just went up, and this should garauntee the Eagles as favorites to win their division yet again, if not one of the favorites to go to the superbowl.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:56 pm

i hate this guy but it is a BIG upgrade and threat for philly, and i agree. now mcnabb can get some major work done ;-D

though i do have to celebrate since this takes the threat out of baltimore :-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:58 pm

The Sandwich wrote:From an NFL position, I am tired of the league coddling this guy. Tough &^%# that you didn't get your paperwork in. And Double tough ^%$@ that you don't want to play in Baltimore. So because he is good and can throw a tantrum he gets to play wherever he wants? He is a top 5 WR on my list, but I can't stand the politics.

TO got screwed by his agent, and he should have to live with it. Basicly, the Eagles gave up nothing for an awsome WR. The Eagles knew he would only play for them, so they offered nothing. :-P

Reminds me of Griffey Jr. saying he would only play for Cincinnati, Seattle got crap for what was at that time the best player in MLB history. :~(

May I also add the 49ers got screwed as well. They should have gotten more than some average DE for him.
I didn't like To prior to all this BS, now I hate the SOB. :-t
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby sinnlos26 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:58 pm

i agree with nittany. i hate owens, but am glad hes not in baltimore anymore
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:00 pm

I don't know how teams will game plan for them.

Mcnabb and westbrook are very explosive and dynamic in the running and passing game.

Now with Owens, and ljsmith/chad lewis in the apssing game, it really seems difficult to see how a team should focus. especially with the spread the ball around.

gives them the deep threat it was missing. s tretch the field out and mcnabb becomes very dangerous.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:04 pm

I wonder what T.O. will say after Donavan throws behind him 5 times in a game?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:06 pm

"TO got screwed by his agent, and he should have to live with it. Basicly, the Eagles gave up nothing for an awsome WR. The Eagles knew he would only play for them, so they offered nothing."

Except for the fact that the aribtrator was going to rule in favor of owens, in that of all the people gettign screwed in the deabcle, it would have been the eagles initially.

In fact, those teams are somewhat lucky the eagles offered ANYTHING at all at this point, considering most sources feel owens would have won.

Baltimore trading for owens was an act of hubris, and san fran intimating that owens had a say in the team to be traded to was a little dishonest.

I think the two teams wanted to strong arm a guy, who ball intensts and purposes was indeed a free agent.

The free agency system was not designed to have indentured servants. Even if he technically wasn't (whcih is a disputed fact to say the least) In the spirit of things, he was trying to do the right thing. How many of you would work someplace else that you didn't want to over a paerwork mistake? Especially when said mistake is a matter of intepretation? I would venture to guess no one.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:06 pm

If LJ Smith's hands improve over the off season the Eagles could have one of the top threat TEs. Chad Lewis is great, but he cant catch anything above his waist, which is a problem if McNabb throws on target. Westbrook out of the backfield, and hopefulyl Buckhalter resigned as a 3rd down back. Start TO and Freddie Mitchell at WR, and you're looking at a very potent offense.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:40 pm

eaglesrule wrote:How many of you would work someplace else that you didn't want to over a paerwork mistake? Especially when said mistake is a matter of intepretation? I would venture to guess no one.

Happens all the time up here. Lots of Boeing people are having to drive up to an hour longer because of the force reductions they did here in Everett.

Besides the point. There are rules. If you want to play in the NFL you need to play by the rules. I remember when Elway wouldn't play for the Colts, and got traded to the Broncos. This kind of crap has got to stop.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:42 pm

that is not an apt comparison at all.

We still have the issue of whether the rights were the niners in the first place, which overwhelmingly, the eivdence points to NO.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk