Owens is an eagle - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Owens is an eagle

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:50 pm

eaglesrule wrote:that is not an apt comparison at all.

We still have the issue of whether the rights were the niners in the first place, which overwhelmingly, the eivdence points to NO.

What do you mean? :-?
I thought that his agent did file in time to become a FA. If thats the case then he IS the property of the 49ers, ans they can trade him whereever he wants (providing he doesn't have a clause in his contract).
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:52 pm

well, apparently he did file in time, and probably had a clause that superceded the CBA.

The fact that the niners and ravens both took what they could get should tell you something.

Everyone on the league's side left in a huff last night. There is more to this than what the media reported.

So, if owens did what he was suppossed to (whether or not the niners think he did), then he was a free agent.

Besides, it was no mystery what his intentions were ...
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dayja » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:11 pm

eaglesrule wrote:"TO got screwed by his agent, and he should have to live with it. Basicly, the Eagles gave up nothing for an awsome WR. The Eagles knew he would only play for them, so they offered nothing."

Except for the fact that the aribtrator was going to rule in favor of owens, in that of all the people gettign screwed in the deabcle, it would have been the eagles initially.

In fact, those teams are somewhat lucky the eagles offered ANYTHING at all at this point, considering most sources feel owens would have won.

Baltimore trading for owens was an act of hubris, and san fran intimating that owens had a say in the team to be traded to was a little dishonest.

I think the two teams wanted to strong arm a guy, who ball intensts and purposes was indeed a free agent.

The free agency system was not designed to have indentured servants. Even if he technically wasn't (whcih is a disputed fact to say the least) In the spirit of things, he was trying to do the right thing. How many of you would work someplace else that you didn't want to over a paerwork mistake? Especially when said mistake is a matter of intepretation? I would venture to guess no one.

It was purely speculation that the arbitrator was going to rule in Owens' favor. The 9ers and Baltimore went for the compromise on the outside chance they would lose everything IF he was declared a free agent. Philly didn't play along just to be nice either, it was a smart business decision on their part, because they wanted to avoid a long, drawn-out appeals process with Owens hanging in limbo until later this spring or possibly into the summer. Yeah, they didn't give up much, but if they thought they were gonna get Owens on a slam dunk, you bet your ass they wouldn't have offered a thing. Don't make the Eagles out to be the good guys here, they weren't feeling sorry for anyone but themselves for losing out on the Ownes trade in the first place. Baltimore is the team getting the raw deal here. Now, they have no deep threat, and a free agent pool that is empty. That 2nd round pick they got back won't get it for them either.
dayja
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:19 pm

not making them out to be "good guys"

All the evidence points to the ruling being overturned, IT DOES not point in favor of staying the way it was. That isn't up for debate. You think if it was likely that it would have stayed pat, the niners or the ravens would have given up whaqt they currently held?

Of course not, it was reasonable for those teams to assume that it was a likely event that it would be over turned.

BECASUE even if it was overturned, neither team was much worse for wear than they were prior to the incident, except for maybe baltimore missing out on some FA wr's, but no one was stopping them from hedging their bet. If it had been overturned, neither team gets anything -- which is a neutral even anyway, as neither team has any reasonable expectation of getting anything from this -- owens' perceived contract gaffee was an unexpected bonus, not in their plans.

If the decision is ruled in their favor, both teams get something more desirable than what they already had, a second round pick and TO.

So for etiher of those two scenarios, the result is at worst, neutral. or Slightly less than neutral.

In this scenario, Baltimore gets something they otherwise wouldn't have had, which is a fifth round pick, and the niners get whiting. Neither of thsoe teams had any reaosnable expectations of anything prior to this debacle.

Think about it, they both took what they could and ran with it. If the likely result would have been in their favor, both teams would have held firm, because they were dealing in bonus time anyway.

The only way you take less than waht you agreed on would be if you lose everything.

The Eagles aren't the "good guys" but they did have legitiamte claim to him with the trade, and TO had a legitamte claim to him about the contract dispute. Everyone knew he wanted to go to the eagles, so if none of this would have happened, the Eagles would have had him anyway.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:22 pm

I will add that the Eagles' would have been in the same spot the Ravens are now, if this didn't work out.

so boo hoo ont he ravens, Bllick's ego thought he would do the deal against TO's wishes and strong arm him into playing.

No dice.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dayja » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:36 pm

WOW, you must feel very strongly about this. I have never gotten a reply so quick. My personal feelings on this haven't changed. This situation never should've gotten this far. It should've been addressed back on 25 Feb, but Owens wasn't crying too much about it when he was under the assumption he was going to the Eagles NOT as a FA, but via TRADE. I do think Baltimore did get the raw deal here. They did miss out on other FAs because they thought they had Owens right up until the greivance was filed less than a week ago. The 5th round pick is an insult. They have a legitimate gripe.

As for Billick's ego, what the hell does that have to do with anything?? He was going to make Owens pay or play which would be any coach's right to do no matter who or what team it is.

I don't know why I bothered to answer this because I can tell by the tone of your posts that you were trolling for a confrontation about this, so if you'd like to have the last word, fire away....
dayja
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:48 pm

not trolling for a confrontation at all. just logically certain things make sense.

first of all, the niners and ravens claims that it was a legit trade don't seem to stand up quite so strong now.

Second of all, the ealges originally had a legit gripe with their trade to the niners.

Billick's ego comes into play, in that it he never even talked to owens prior to the trade. He thought so highly of himself that it didn't occur to him to even talk to said player.

Granted, provided the niners and ravens were right (which it is failry obvious from subsequent dealings, that they were not -- at least the niners weren't) Owens case was unique.

IF the contract was legit, I side with the ravens (not the niners as their dealings were a touch shady in the first place) and owens should have played. However, right or wrong, the staff should have talked to him and realized that even though they were "right", the player who lost his free agency on a technicality (and a fairly weak one at that, given that everyone knew what his intentions were), that maybe being "right" is also being wrong. The had a player on their hands who would feel aggrieved -- rightly or wrongly. Thus, this is why the EAGLES bothered to talk to owens and strike up a deal with him first, as it was a realistic prerequisite to any meaningful trade.

The ravens knew this, they just thought they could strong arm the thing.

Low and behold, that the claim that he was under contract to the niners wasn't as airtight as they thought, and they took what they could get for the ordeal.

Frankly, I don't like owens one bit. He had better lead the eagles to the bowl, or I want his head.

That said, in this instance, it is crap that everyone wants him to "suck it up" and fulfill a contract obligation that is hardly as black and white.

I don't think anyone here would do any differently if they were in the same circumstances. He communicated what he wanted to do, and according to him and his agent he did waht was required.

The niners and ravens don't see it that way, but the strong evidence shows they would have been overruled.

The niners definitely wanted to show owens a lesson on his way out, and the ravens thought they would strong arm a stud player they otherwise wouldn't have had much of a shot at. I don't blame them, but it came back to bite both of them.

Everyone can say "owens should ahve played" but who would? Especially on something that was a technicality.

If it was a technicality that suppossedly bound him to the niners, why shouldn't a technicality get him out? Especially when for all intents and purposes, everyone was fine with him becomign a free agent prior?

To feel sorry for the ravens, a team that tried to backdoor deal with the niners than strong arm the player is not really fair to the eagles who did everyhting that was expeted of them in the negotiation.

And they didn't whine in the media about losing to like baltimore is now.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:10 pm

The eagles were only going to give James Trash (I know it's Thrash) and a pick for TO. The 49ers would have been ripped off. Then Baltimore offers a second round pick. Not quite what To is worth, but they took it. The Eagles cry foul. They should have offered more than Trash when the first trade was offered. But the Eagles thought that no one else would offer any more that what they offered. The ones I blame on this mess is TO and the Eagles.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Buckychudd » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:30 pm

Well, I didn't want to weigh in on this topic untill it played out.....which it now has.

Here is how I see it. The only piece of paper that has TO's signature on the bottom says March 2nd not Feb 21st.....the rest is details.

All said, both SF & Baltimore got something for nothing.....why should they bitch.....Philly should have been able to pick up TO in FA, they're the only ones who have a legitimate gripe at this point, but since they got TO in the end they're going to just sit and smile.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:35 pm

The Sandwich wrote:... good news for McNaffro...

McNaffro. LMAO
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk