McNabb goes up?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McNabb goes up??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flux » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:41 am

Dazedncnfz wrote:
Flux wrote: The difference between this situation and the one in Atlanta is that TO is a proven #1, whereas Peerless was not.

I do think his overall numbers will go up w/ TO contrary to Cupertino_11's thoughts. Its much easier to throw for 50 yds than to scramble for 20 yds (not to mention safer). His rushing numbers probably will go down but his passing yards and overall TDs should significantly go up

your right about TO be proven, that does make the difference...but all you did in your last paragraph was prove Cupertino right...."Its much easier to throw for 50 yds than to scramble for 20 yds" 1st in McNabb case it might accutaly be easier for him to scramble 20 yards then throw 50 (doesn't throw the prettiest pass in the world)....2nd usually its 2 points for 20 yards rushing...2 points for 50 yards passing...its easier for McNabb to get points rushing then throwing, but TO should make the difference for him..and TO improves McNabbs value no matter how you look at it..

I dont know if i proved his point. TO can easily break tackles at his size. McNabb could throw a 2 yd pass (a pass even McNabb can make) to TO and he can take it 50 yds. McNabb now doesn't only have to rely on only his feet. He finally has a guy who can make plays other than himself, and after his last couple injuries, I think its just what he needs. He still always has the option to run if its there, but he can now leave that to TO on some occassions.

Say he does lose some points overall with the rushing and passing differences in scoring, I still think he improves overall on pts based on an increase in TD production.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:17 pm

[quote="Cupertino_11"]Vick and McNabb get a lot of their points via scrambling ability so although T.O. is now in the mix, McNabb's increase in passing yards and TD's will be offset by his decrease in rushing yards and TD's.[quote]

Yes, although McNabb may add 5-7 passing TD's overall, his rushing numbers may remain the same. He didn't have an overwhelming number of rush TD's last year. Quite a few sneal opportunities were scored by Buckhalter/Staley/Westbrook; Whereas in year's past, McNabb got them.

I think the big thing(s) to consider is this:

With Staley gone, if Westbrook comes back healthy, is he enough to carry the weight of a # 1 RB?

Does someone sign Buckhalter to a tender, not worth Phili's while to match?

Who is the # 2 tailback then? I wouldn't mind a McNabb to Owens connection, seeing as I have them both in my main league... but I would feel a lot better if both Westbrook AND Buckhalter remain there. I think that is a main key to keep in mind...
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:20 pm

no one is going to be able to sign buckhalter, no way the eagles do not resign him. Everyone knows it would be fultile to try. Buckhalter and westbrook should more than handle the load.

I also think with to stretching defenses, it will be easier for mcnabb to run.

now, it is pick your poison.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby koffeeboy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:05 pm

Absoulutely.

Just the presence of Owens, will make things better for Westbrook/Buckhalter (if he re-signs), Pinkston, Mitchell, Smith, McNabb and the defense.

However, from a fantasy persepective, Owens will need to be used right by Reid's offense. I figure Owens will stay status quo and McNabb will be more effective, a la, 2002, not 2003.
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:19 pm

I don't think the signing raises his value, just stops him from sliding any further than he had.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:25 pm

realistically, who would be better?

peyton definitely, possbily culpepper. culpepper is good, but he has to's too. but I would spot that in an argument as assume he would be better fantasy wise.

Anyone else I am hard pressed to say that it is definite that they are better picks.

Vick? great talent, but comign off an injury and face it, could easily get hurt again because he is small.

maybe mcnair, but now I like mcnabb's weapons more.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:27 pm

Culpepper and Manning are still undisputedly the top 2 QBs. Though I will like to see how close to their performance McNabb can get with an elite WR like they've had all their years.

Vick, Vick is overrated. He can run faster than McNabb and runs more often. However, McNabb passes better, scrambles better, and one guy simply can't take him down unless he's blindsided. Vick is like McNabb, just not as good at what he does. Now McNabb has better tools. Westbrook, if he can stay healthy is easily better than both Duckett and Dunn. TO is leaps and bounds above Peerless Price. LJ Smith looks to emerge either this year or next as a true playmaker, so until then I suppose Vick has a better TE option.

McNair is possibly ahead of McNabb, but with an aging Eddie George, the constant injuries (nothing new for him), and loss of his #2 WR target, I'd be hard pressed to expect a repeat performance of last year from him.

I would argue that Pennington and Hasselback go up their in contention with McNabb as well. Let's not forget Tom Brady either. His WRs arent worth squat in ff, but he has had consistent success, and 2 yeas ago quietly put up the most passing TDs.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:35 pm

msot of that is spot on, but brady? no way, he was feast or famine and had some terrible TO games, and offers zero rushing...
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby aussieboy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:13 pm

"..........but ahead of culpepper? mcnabb has basically the same weapons as him now........."

i agree....i dont see how people can say cpepp is now still way ahead of mcnabb. At best they gotta be considered equal. Im not convinced Moss will perform as well as he did last year (which is pretty much the only reason why everyone has Cpepp so high)....he got as many TDs last yr as he did in his previous two years combined. And Cpepp thru 11 interceptions last year, a career low, fluke? Just points to consider.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:38 am

Culpepper's TD/INT ratio is one of the reasons I've shied away from even considering him in previous drafts. To me, in the NFL, and in ff, that ratio is critical to a QB's worth. Now, last year means one of two things: a) Culpepper had a fluke career low, or b) he matured and learned to control his passes better. I don't know which for sure it is, so I'll just stand by and wait till next season to make a judgement.

McNabb had an injured thumb for most of this season and still put up a decent set of numbers (in the later half he was a solid start). Last year, he only played 10 games, but was still one of the top options, and was on pace to easily outscore every other fantasy QB that year (manning and Culpepper included). Mind you, he did all this without a good WR. Now, he's got a guy that ranks up there with Harrison and Moss. McNabb is #3 on my list of QBs, with the opportunity to become the best in fantasy this year, because he's a proven talent, and plenty of weapons surrounding him for a change.

Brady I still rate high because he's one of the top passers in the league. The whole spread the ball around offense may kill his WRs fantasy value, but it doesnt hurt his. Also, he's got a great TD/INT ratio. He went what, all year nearly at home without throwing an interception? Even though others can score the amount of TDs he can, one thing he has is stability. You can bet on his offense running smooth every year. With the coaching in NE and plethora of young WR targets: Bethel Johnson, Deion Branch, Daniel Graham, not to mention the veterans, he's going to have plenty of options for years to come. Also, until NE gets a feature back, you can bet 90% of their TDs will involve Brady (gotta figure 10% come from their Def.)
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk