Would you pay $4M/yr. to land Warren Sapp? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Would you pay $4M/yr. to land Warren Sapp?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby nebbie2004 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:55 pm

Only wished him and Takeo Spikes could of paired up on Def for Cinncit, but yea i think that is a reasonable price for Sapp.
nebbie2004 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:03 pm

I think its reasonable and I dont think he is completely out of his game. Although i wouldnt like to see him in ciny, they could use him, Id like to see him and bettis go at is :-)
hes not the best locker presence and IMO thats really important
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:28 pm

KC could be his landing spot, according to an article in todays KC Star.

Chiefs ponder Sapp

Team interested but not optimistic about signing Buc

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs, after passing on tackle John Tait and missing on cornerback Troy Vincent, suddenly have some available salary-cap space. They're looking into spending some of it on a most intriguing player: Tampa Bay defensive tackle Warren Sapp.

Pursuit of the flamboyant Sapp materialized on the Chiefs' to-do list after a call Wednesday from Sapp's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, to coach Dick Vermeil. No visit was scheduled.

Since the Chiefs had about $9 million of cap room before recent signings of offensive lineman Chris Bober and tight end Jason Dunn — and have the need for a skilled defensive tackle — the possibility of Sapp joining the Chiefs can't be dismissed.

Vermeil, though, wasn't optimistic.

“Right now, this is all talk,” he said. “I don't think it will materialize.

“This is similar to our interest in Troy Vincent. We probably don't have the money to sign him (Sapp). If he's going to the highest bidder, he's probably going somewhere else. But sometimes they don't go to the highest bidder because they want to play for a winner.”

Although the Chiefs have the available cap space to sign Sapp, they are pleading poverty from a cash standpoint.

They handed out more than $16 million in bonuses to several players this winter, including running back Priest Holmes, quarterback Trent Green, linebacker Shawn Barber, offensive tackle Willie Roaf, defensive end Eric Hicks, safety Jerome Woods and Bober.

Vermeil said those payments not only affected the Chiefs' offer to Vincent, which was apparently below the reported $3.6 million he received this week from Buffalo, but will also guide their efforts with Sapp.

Vermeil, known for wanting solid citizens in his locker room, said he hadn't thoroughly researched Sapp's potential fit with the Chiefs. Sapp has the reputation for being an attention-seeker with a loud mouth, the type of person Vermeil usually tries to avoid.

“I don't know if he would completely fit the profile I'm looking for,” Vermeil said. “But I think he could fit with the influence of everybody else.”

There's no question the Chiefs could use Sapp on the field.

Sapp, 31, has been one of the NFL's best defensive tackles for nine seasons. He has topped 10 sacks in a season three times — though 2003, when he had five sacks in 15 games, wasn't one of his best years.

His addition would fill the Chiefs' most immediate personnel need and give them an impressive three-tackle rotation with Ryan Sims and John Browning, who would also then be free to help at defensive end.

Sapp's interest in the Chiefs couldn't be determined. Rosenhaus didn't return phone messages from The Kansas City Star on Wednesday.

Vermeil was in no mood to see the Chiefs used for leverage with another club, as he said he believed they were by Vincent. Sapp reportedly has a contract offer from Cincinnati.

“That was what I anticipated it being all along — a waste of time,” Vermeil said of last week's visit with Vincent.

“When people call you and recruit you, it's disappointing when it's not really more sincere than maybe being used to enhance an opportunity somewhere else.”
Arrowhead Nation
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby awwchrist » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:42 pm

4mil a year for sapp?

Yes.

I'm not sure how many people don't realize that sacks shouldn't be a barometer for the effectiveness of a DT. Same with corners and Ints.

Ridiculous.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:48 pm

Flux wrote:
phunkadelic wrote:The problem is, they don't have any money to spare. From everything I can find, they are 5.5M under the cap, the 3M allotted for draft picks, and 2M for Carson Palmer escalators, leaving 0.5M for FA. They'll have to drop at least two veterans to bring him in.

I don't know. I'm on the fence on this one. I just think 4M/yr. is way too much for a declining loudmouth, albeit a former stud.

There has to be money from somewhere if they were trying to sign Vincent/Taylor, Vincent was a bust, Taylor might be too (although talks have resumed) and like Duke said, Dillons departure will give them some more room to work with (Btw when the heck is that going to happen?).

I also agree that Kitna most likely will be gone. It is in his best interest not to take a paycut, b/c there are teams like SD who would love to have him, and if he is released they would pick him up in a second.

This would leave them w/ plenty of money to sign Sapp, their rookies and even a couple others. And there may be even more cuts as Duke said.

While I really don't care too much about Sapp. The Kitna issue peaked my interest. Whats the odds he'll be released and whats the odds the Cowboys can land him for a few years.
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:50 pm

he's 32 yrs old, over 300 lbs and is a distraction.

The Bengals have a nice team - why upset the good chemistry on their team with this loud mouth?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheHeat24 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:00 pm

Two Letters...: NO, I would not pay that much for a bum who is way past his prime.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby terpfan » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:34 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:Two Letters...: NO, I would not pay that much for a bum who is way past his prime.

i like the new avatar heat! ;-D

i wouldnt pay sapp 4 mil a year either. i think hes still got a few years left but 4 mil seems like alot. (unless u are the redskins and dont have to worry about the salary cap :-) )
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:21 am

Thx, white chocolate helped with the idea of the ticket behind them... Do you have tickets to the gun show?

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby goforit » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:54 am

I watched nfl total acess the other night and espn and i found out the cowboys also made a bid for sapp for 3mill a year i think and they also reported that sapp is intrested in playing for teh giants also. So there you have cowboys, giants, begals in the running for him. I personally think he will sign with his good buddy strham though since they share a little spot on the strham sapp spot on total acess.
goforit
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk