What's your thoughts on drafting Vick in the first round?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's your thoughts on drafting Vick in the first round??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:59 pm

how he stacks up against portis or elway or whomever is irrelevant. First of all portis is a bit small and considered and injury risk as it is. Second of all, the injury risk is relative to the other guys, not in a vacuum, which is the crux of the choice here. Relative to mcnabb, culpepper, manning he has to be considered an injury risk. he is small compared to them and has more of a history. not that the others don't, but the others have finished a full nfl season as the starter, vick has not.

vick is faster and smaller than the others, so he is really going to have some damaging collisions...
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby chaindog35 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:08 pm

i think in a 12 team league, he may be a #12 pick, but i have him about 15, and would prefer to get dependable rbs and a cheaper qb
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby MMH » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:04 pm

Personally I wouldnt take him at all. Fantastic to watch in real life but as a fantasy QB I dont trust him at all.

Sure he could get you a ton of rushing yards but his passing isnt the greatest and he doenst have the greatest targets to hit either as I am in no way sold on Peerless price. He will always run the rick of injury (but I guess so do most players)

Personally I would take the likes of a Favre ahead of him because 9 times out of 10 I know what I am getting with Favre.

Of course as mentioned above a lot depends on how points are awarded in your league.

Each to their own but I would be perfectly happy to see someone else snap him up and not lose to much sleep over it.
MMH
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby fantasizing » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:10 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
That would be the 2002 season in case you weren't watching. He finished 2nd or 3rd in 15 games of play.

2936 yards passing, 16 TDs, 8 INT's 54.9 PCT
777 yards rushing, 8 TDs'

I wouldn't call those earth shattering stats by any stretch.
Yeah, he can run, but can he pass??? In my opinion, Vick is still unproven. I wouldn't even draft him period as my starting QB.

Amazing how people rip on someone like TO (who has YEARS of amazing stats to back himself up) yet they get all horny about someone like Vick who's done jack so far in the NFL. He's a prospect at this point, that's it. Kordell Stewart used to be a great prospect, and we all know what a piece of fantasy garbage he turned out to be.

I'll reserve my judgement on Vick after he proves he can play injury free in the NFL and put up Culpepper or McNabb like stats.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby nebbie2004 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:26 pm

3 words, Dont Do it!! ;-)
nebbie2004 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:58 pm

fantasizing wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:
That would be the 2002 season in case you weren't watching. He finished 2nd or 3rd in 15 games of play.

2936 yards passing, 16 TDs, 8 INT's 54.9 PCT
777 yards rushing, 8 TDs'

Hello?

777 rushing yards = 1925 passing yards by most scoring systems. That means he put up the rough equivalent of 5000 passing yards. Rushing yards generally a lot easier to rely on that passing yards too. It's the closest thing to a known quantity some QBs have. The fact that you think Vick has no receiving weapons makes his rushing yards even more reliable.

People here need to stop confusing NFL stats with fantasy stats, they are completely different from each other. Troy Aikman was a mediocre fantasy QB at best, but he led his teams to 3 Super Bowl wins.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby aussieboy » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:02 pm

"........People here need to stop confusing NFL stats with fantasy stats.........."

Here Here!
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:13 am

Vick is too inconsistent for my liking. In 2002 he got completely shut down in a couple games...I'm talking less than 2 or 3 fantasy points here. And while it's true that 2 of those games were against a great Bucs D, last year the same thing happened against a very mediocre Colt D.

If I'm gonna take a QB in the first round (which I'm not), he'd better damn sure never put up a goose egg...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 am

Free Bagel wrote:Vick is too inconsistent for my liking. In 2002 he got completely shut down in a couple games...I'm talking less than 2 or 3 fantasy points here. And while it's true that 2 of those games were against a great Bucs D, last year the same thing happened against a very mediocre Colt D.

If I'm gonna take a QB in the first round (which I'm not), he'd better damn sure never put up a goose egg...

You mean like Peyton Manning did against the Browns in 2003?
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:42 am

KingGhidra wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Vick is too inconsistent for my liking. In 2002 he got completely shut down in a couple games...I'm talking less than 2 or 3 fantasy points here. And while it's true that 2 of those games were against a great Bucs D, last year the same thing happened against a very mediocre Colt D.

You mean like Peyton Manning did against the Browns in 2003?

By my scoring system (10yds rush, 6pts rush TD, 25yds pass, 4 pass TD, -2 int/fumb):

In the last 2 years:

Vick had games of 1,3, and 3 points.

Manning had the Browns game, which was 4 points.

Also note that Vick played 11 fewer games, he could've easily put up another sub 3 point game or two in those 11.

Further, I'm not exactly sure of the relevancy there, because I said If I'm gonna take a QB in the first round....and I wouldn't take Manning first round..
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk