#1 pick in a rookie draft! Can I/Should I take Winslow? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

#1 pick in a rookie draft! Can I/Should I take Winslow?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:34 am

I would look to trade the number 1 pick for a lower top 5 pick... But Winslow is a good option for you... I agree that he should be the guy you go after... ;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sfkierkegaard » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:25 am

Since you only start 2 WR in your league, I would see if I could move Javon Walker (only 1 year left) or L. Suggs/W.Green for a top 4 draft pick. If you can get that, I would take a RB at #1 and then hopefully you will still get K. Winslow.

If not, Teyo Johnson is going to be a very good TE. It might take him one more year, but he would seem to be your next best option.

I just don't think that a TE in a 12 man league is worth the #1 pick. With so few people in the league, there will always be an opportunity to get a good TE. Of course, you won't be able to get somebody with K. Winslow's upside.
sfkierkegaard
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby DanDaMan » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:58 am

Thanks for all of your help. This is real good info. I would trade down but the I run the risk of someone trading up in front of me for Winslow. I have tried to trade for another top 5 pick and poeple don't want to part with them. I would trade Lee Suggs as I am going to lose him after this year to Free Agency even if he proves to be the man. My plan is to use Trent Green for the most of this coming year and keep Carson Plamer for the long term (cincy has great receivers). I am trying to build a dynasty in this dynasty league and I think Winslow would be my best choice. If I don't take a RB I will attempt to pick up Hollings or Portis' backup as insurance. To get another top RB with my first pick would not be a bad thing (I could always trade him for more talent elsewhere), but I may not be able to trade him for a top TE (people just don't get rid of their stud TE's). I think Winslow is the most sure thing in this draft (on offense) and that their is more potential for BUST in taking one of the top 2 RB's? Keep the input coming.
DanDaMan

Friendliness: %

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:14 am

Don't forget about Troupe if you do somehow miss out on Winslow.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby NFLknowitall » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:03 am

Getting Kellen Winslow would be a good idea? NO! NOT Really! Let me tell you this! Getting Kellen Winslow would be a GREAT idea! He will be the second best TE in the league in two years! He will be dominate! With he passion for the game and aggressive attitude he will do the same things that Gonzo does in K.C.. Don't miss out on him in a Dynasty league!

You have plenty of young receivers, get the future stud TE and that will help you complete overall team depth.

Good Luck.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:32 am

Gunslinger wrote:Don't forget about Troupe if you do somehow miss out on Winslow.

I was just about to say that... Ben Troupe has the makings of a Shannon Sharpe... I watched him torch the 'Noles last year, and I can tell you he's a definite stud... Probably as good, if not better, than Winslow.... (God I hate the both of them, though)

Check this out:

Ben Troupe in 2003: Started all 13 games and had 39 receptions to tie for the best total on the squad…Had 638 receiving yards and tied for the tops with five touchdowns, both of which led the team …First TE to lead UF in touchdown receptions since 1980…One of three finalists for the John Mackey Award, an honor given to the nation's top TE…Named a first-team All-American by The Sporting News…In addition, was chosen as an All-American by SI.com and Rivals.com…Was a All-SEC Coaches' first team honoree as well as a Collegefootballnews.com All-SEC selection…Was the only TE in the country to finish with at least 500 receiving yards and five touchdown catches, while still averaging at least 15 yards per reception…Finished with a team-high 15 offensive "Big Plays," catching at least one 20-plus yard pass in seven separate games including six of the final seven games of the year…Averaged 16.4 yards per reception - the second highest total among Mackey Award semi-finalists…Led the team in receiving yards in four games, and receptions twice…Set two of the top three receiving performances by a tight end in school history vs. Florida State (121 yards (2nd)) and Tennessee (106 yards (3rd))…Had a career-day against Florida State with a career-high in yards (121), touchdowns (2) as all four receptions went for 25-or-more yards, including a career-long 40-yarder…With the 121-yard performance against the Seminoles, came one yard short of tying the school record for most yards in a game by a tight end…Finished the Tennessee game with a career-high five catches….Had a team-best 58 yards on two catches in the win over No. 4 Georgia, including a 21-yarder in the final offensive drive of the game that led to a game-winning field goal in the final minute of the game…Had an 18-yard highlight reel touchdown reception against Ole Miss in which he broke numerous tackles on his way to the end zone…Led the receivers with five receptions against Arkansas to match career-high… Named a UF game captain for the San Jose State, Kentucky, Georgia and Iowa games….

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:38 pm

I'd see if the owners of Heap or Gonzalez or Shockey would trade you for your pick. If you're really serious about getting a TE, you'd be crazy to gamble on a rookie instead of looking at one of these guys.

There's always talk about certain players in the draft. Some are looked at as how they're going to "redefine the position". But for every Winslow who seems to do everything right on the collegiate field, there's a Daniel Graham who had the same hype in college, but so far has been non-existent.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DanDaMan » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:00 pm

Ben Troupe = Alge Crumpler

I am not looking for Alge Crumpler. I am looking for the next Tony G!
DanDaMan

Postby DanDaMan » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:04 pm

I think Winslow will instantly be better than Heap and Shockey. Tony G has been around for a while and TE' sover time don't have the longest shelf-life.

The real question is do I add another RB to my team for depth (Jones/Jackson depending on where they go) and get a Gates from SD or do I just draft Winslow?

I think that Winslow is the way to go??
DanDaMan

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:02 pm

Just draft him and say screw it. If he doesn't pan out, it's only a rookie. :-)
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk