Kevin Jones' Stock is Falling... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kevin Jones' Stock is Falling...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kevin Jones' Stock is Falling...

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:37 pm

ProFootballTalk.com wrote:Word straight out of the Virginia Tech Pro Day is that running back Kevin Jones has had a disappointing showing.

Running on a fast indoor surface, Jones was timed at over 4.5 seconds on both of his efforts. He ran it a third time, and again was over 4.5 (although some folks clocked it in the high 4.4s).

Jones, who at one time was regarded as a Heisman Trophy candidate and a top-ten pick, should fall to the bottom of the first round (and possibly farther) based on this development.

A year ago, Jones ran a 4.3. His father, boasted that Kevin had run in the 4.1 to 4.2 range during high school, said that a 4.3 wasn't acceptable.

We wonder what he's thinking about those 4.5s?

We're also hearing that Jones have now moved on to the three-cone drill, and that on his first two tries he knocked over a cone. Eventually, he completed the drill in the low 7.2s, and he ran the short shuttle in the 4.1s.

One person in attendance is describing the workout as "brutal." Another attendee overheard Jones' father screaming into a cell phone that sonny boy "s#%t the bed" and that "he s#@t himself" at the workout.

Source: JONES "S#&TS THE BED" AT WORKOUT

Methinks Greg Jones is smiling...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:40 pm

Poor sonny boy...

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby nebbie2004 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:50 pm

that's sad news for kevin.
nebbie2004 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Re: Kevin Jones' Stock is Falling...

Postby UtopianHopes » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:50 pm

NFL.com wrote:
Jones (5-11 5/8, 224) ran his 40s in 4.61, 4.63 and 4.65. He had a 37-inch vertical, a 9-9 long jump, 18 reps, a 4.10 short shuttle and a 7.17 three-cone drill.

Source: Individual Workouts

Greg jones isn't much faster.

NFL.com wrote:
Jones (6-1¼, 249) ran the 40s in 4.65 and 4.62. He had a 38½-inch vertical jump, 9-foot-11 long jump and did 23 strength reps. Jones was also timed at 4.13 in the short shuttle and 7.03 in the three-cone drill.

Wonder who is the better prospect now?...would you go with the stronger guy?...
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Kevin Jones' Stock is Falling...

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:56 pm

UtopianHopes wrote:
NFL.com wrote:
Jones (5-11 5/8, 224) ran his 40s in 4.61, 4.63 and 4.65. He had a 37-inch vertical, a 9-9 long jump, 18 reps, a 4.10 short shuttle and a 7.17 three-cone drill.

Source: Individual Workouts

Man, this is disappointing to me. I was high on him. Troubles me on predicting his success now. I see him as ether a steal in the draft or a bust at this point.

Looks like Greg Jones did better in just about everything - and is still recovering from his injury.

NFL.com wrote:Jones (6-1¼, 249) ran the 40s in 4.65 and 4.62. He had a 38½-inch vertical jump, 9-foot-11 long jump and did 23 strength reps. Jones was also timed at 4.13 in the short shuttle and 7.03 in the three-cone drill.

I'm happy about this. I've been praising Greg Jones for a while now, and even drafted him in an early draft league. Looks like he might be the second RB taken, now... :-D

...However, I'm not a big fan of using combine times to judge a player. Kevin Jones looked great in college and I still think he has good potential in the NFL.
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:03 pm

Steven Jackson's numbers look good. He will definitely be the #1 back chosen.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheHeat24 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:20 pm

The only way I can explain that is he got a case of stage fright????? The man had the burners while he was at VT...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:22 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Steven Jackson's numbers look good. He will definitely be the #1 back chosen.

I agree. I have been saying kevin would be the better of the two all along thanks to his speed :-o i guess ill take that back now, if jones doesnt start going faster, he could drop significantly. Although, i still think the sleeper RB in the draft will be chris perry !+)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:28 pm

OSU baby.

Anyone notice Stephen Jackson in any of the NFL Network Combine shows?

neither did I.

Shame.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:30 pm

NittanyLions wrote:Although, i still think the sleeper RB in the draft will be chris perry !+)

Heh. I think just the opposite of Chris Perry. I think he will be the biggest bust, no matter where he is drafted. Getting back on topic...

Anyway, the thing Kevin Jones' had going for him was his speed, like Nittany said. I was surprised when I saw those results... :-o
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk