Kevin Jones' Stock is Falling... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kevin Jones' Stock is Falling...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Kevin Jones' Stock is Falling...

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:28 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:Screw 40 times, screw 3 cone drills and screw vertical leaps. Football isn't played in a straight line with no pads. I remember watching VT games and being impressed with him IN GAMES. Maybe he is one of those guys who doesn't lose much off his normal speed when in pads during the pressure of a game.

I couldn't agree more... Take a look at this article from last year, fellas, and then tell me how important combine and pro-day stats REALLY are:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... /6726.html

I realize this post is specifically intended to counter the fact that the combine numbers are overrated so I'm going on a tangent here. But regarding SI's analysis, I especially like this in their list of negatives:
Sports Illustrated wrote:lacks sharpness running routes

That's Boldin's strength now. I remember on one of the pregame shows last season (ESPN's, I believe) they mentioned that it was Boldin's route running that put him ahead of the game vs. other rookie WRs. Specifically the fact that he can make an accurate break at full speed which is what causes separation from the DBs.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Kevin Jones' Stock is Falling...

Postby TheHeat24 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:33 pm

Slinger I know what your talking about, and im pretty sure it was on ESPN Countdown, Ya they went on about how his route running was superior and his breaks out of cuts was good... But those numbers that Jones put up are useless, TJ Duckett ran a 4.45 at the combine 2 years ago and Im pretty sure hes not faster than Ricky Williams who runs about the same 40 time....

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Homeless » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:05 pm

Hmmm, sounds like someone who was on some kind of juice and now isnt.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Football Newbie » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:29 pm

Homeless wrote:Hmmm, sounds like someone who was on some kind of juice and now isnt.

oh dont even start that crap.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Homeless » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:48 pm

Football Newbie wrote:
Homeless wrote:Hmmm, sounds like someone who was on some kind of juice and now isnt.

Sir yes Sir ;-D

Its actually the pessimist in me, comes out now and then.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby terpfan » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:35 pm

Homeless wrote:
Football Newbie wrote:

Sir yes Sir ;-D

Its actually the pessimist in me, comes out now and then.

this isnt baseball homey! :-/
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:54 pm

I thought Steven Jackson was the better back all along. Jones should be a steal in the 20's and he will likely go to either NE or Dallas. Please somebody convince me Dallas would pass on Kevin Jones, no matter what his 40 times were.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:03 am

More news on Kevin Jones' 40 times (not for the better)...

ProFootballTalk wrote:On Thursday, we posted the slower-than-expected 40-yard dash times of Virginia Tech running back Kevin Jones, virtually as they were generated. In three tries on a fact track, Jones was clocked in the 4.5s, with one effort possibly in the high 4.4s.

Given that Jones has been advertised as a 4.3 guy with a history of 4.1s and 4.2s, the effort was poor.

Another league source tells us that some stopwatches showed Jones' times as even slower -- 4.61, 4.64, and 4.65.

More problematic for Jones is the fact that, when a guy runs on artificial turf (as Jones did on Thursday) as opposed to grass, a tenth of a second gets added to the time.

Scouting 101 -- when a player runs on anything other than grass, which is regarded as the slowest surface, the times are adjusted accordingly. Since FieldTurf simulates grass, no change is made. For artificial turf, a tenth of a second is added. For a track, up to 0.15 gets tacked onto the time.

For Jones, then, his officials times were as low as 4.6 and as high as 4.75, which is horrendous for a so-called speed back and poor for any running back.

Source: JONES TIMES SLOWER THAN REPORTED?

I think he'll be good no matter where he ends up, but for everyone who likes basing their rankings on combine times, this is probably interesting...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Purple_Pride » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:21 am

these combine times can be quite misleading, like Suggs last year who after a poor combine fell out of the top 5 then to what 10th or 11th? and he came back and had a great rookie season. Im not overly impressed with Jones but if he fell to a teaam like the Pats, I think he could make some noise.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby IDF » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:03 am

man i was thinkin of drafting him but maybe i shall rethink my position
IDF
Water Boy
Water Boy