Any thoughts on Hearst's value?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Any thoughts on Hearst's value??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Any thoughts on Hearst's value??

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:14 pm

I hear a lot of talk that the Lions are close to signing Hearst. They were to talk with Zereoue but renigged, supposedly becasue they were convinced that Hearst was a better option. What kind of does value he have? Is there any gas left in the tank?
I'm really not sure how I feel about this. If they do sign him I would think it would be a RBBC with him and Pinner. I feel pretty uneasy starting the year with a old RB comming off of yet another injury, and an unproven 2nd year player with his own injury history.
It rankles me that the Lions could've had a backfield with Portis or O. Smith but Millen opted for character guys instead of talent. I sure like Kalimba Edwards and Artoise Pinner better than those 2 slugs.
Sorry, anyway pretty bored between games and was looking for any insight into Hearst and what he can bring to the table.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:26 pm

I've been proven wrong in the past for doubting Hearst due to his injuries and age - but that was when he was on a good team. ;-)

From a fantasy perspective, I wouldn't want Hearst as anything more than a #4 RB, although he may be a suitable #3 in certain circumstances. Not only would he likely have to deal with a RBBC (assuming he goes to the Lions), but the Lions likely won't have many opportunities to run the ball as they will probably be behind by the time the second half rolls around in most games.

As to how he will actually affect the Lions, I think it is a good move for them. I would rather see them sign Hearst than bring James Stewart back - he's better. He should also come relatively cheap, will be a good influence for Artose Pinner and can help bring him along slowly - he's also proven that he can fit in with Mooch's system. However, I would rather see the Lions (or Patriots, Cowboys, etc.) go after Dominic Rhodes. He's young, has talent, and shouldn't cost much, either. ...But what do I know?
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:31 pm

I think hearst will be the RBBC, but main guy, but will share some carries with he developing pinner. He's got the potential to suit the RB position until pinner is ready. I think this will be a passing offense, and i wouldnt rank hearst high at all fantasy-wise. He is the obvious choice over the piece of crap Zeroue though... :-[
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:34 pm

NittanyLions wrote:He is the obvious choice over the piece of crap Zeroue though... :-[

Famous Amos is getting no love. He'll be a star one day, y0. ;-7
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby nebbie2004 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:06 pm

Zippo, nadda, nuttin, nothing!! He useless, but on the serious idea, i argree he ill be an RBBC.
nebbie2004 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby aussieboy » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:26 pm

Garrisons value eh? Lets play a little game....join ur index finger with ur thumb...now slightly bend both fingers.....AND THATS HEARST'S VALUE.......ZERO!!!!!!!!
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:55 am

Canacuna wrote: but the Lions likely won't have many opportunities to run the ball as they will probably be behind by the time the second half rolls around in most games.

The Lions D was amongst the top ten the second half of the season last year and the addition of Jauron should help to make them even better. So even though they may be behind a lot, I don't know that they will be so far behind that they will have to abandon the running game. The also added a all-pro O-lineman in Woody. I just hope that Hearst can defy the odds for a season or two and be a NFL caliber RB, something the Lions were lacking last year.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Flux » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:09 am

Not to mention there passing game will be 100 times better with Rogers back on the field and Streets opposite him, which can open up the running game
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hayesb26 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:36 am

Yeah it will probably be RBBC, but if Hearst gets the job solo, he could post decent stats. Don't count on that happening though...
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:05 pm

If it was a guarenteed one running back situation in detroit then hearst would have some value because 1) The right side of that line will have two monsterous road graders in mcdougle and woody if they decide to play him there 2) Their defense should be improved if they draft Sean Taylor and if Chris Cash comes back healthy 3) and like it was previously mentioned Streets and Rogers is a solid one two punch at wr and if Harrington can turn the corner they could be dangerous.

But as it stand I doubt he has much value because I havent seen anything out of Harrington to this point and it will most likely be a RBBC

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk