Who is the NFL's top receiving duo? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the NFL's top receiving duo?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:09 am

IDF wrote:in my opinion there is no question it is Holt and bruce. Bruce is always consistent and Holt is a deep threat they may not be the best wrs in the league but they ARE BOTH top 25

Ward is always consistent and Burress is a deep threat. They may not be the best WR's in the league, but they are also both top 25.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelyeri » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:49 pm

i'll take bruce and holt over ward and burress any day. especially burress.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:07 pm

Umm... aren't you guys forgetting one? Cedric Wilson and Brandon Lloyd? Seriously though, I think I'd have to go with Moss/Robinson #1 slightly ahead of Harrison/Wayne.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:43 pm

if ya wanna see different answers go Trio instead of Duo ;-D
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:17 pm

steelyeri wrote:i'll take bruce and holt over ward and burress any day. especially burress.

Aah, and we get another one who seems to forget how good burress was up until this season, plus like vhawk said earlier, bruce is getting older and burress and ward are in their prime. St louis has an explosive offense which tends to make you think everyone is better than anyone on a worser offense, like ward's offense. I think some of you need to think more into it, we are syupposed to think ALL the conditions are the same for each duo. Which means how dynamic each duo is enhances their ability to be on the top, and ward+burress=complete, while bruce+holt=lacking in a couple places
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:51 pm

I feel the same way on the Burress issue. Everyone seems to forget that he had 1300 yards last year and 1000 the year before. He had no QB this year and hit a slump and everyone thinks that he is terrible. In my opinion these two words sum up how Burress will play next year: CONTRACT YEAR.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:38 pm

NittanyLions wrote: I think some of you need to think more into it, we are syupposed to think ALL the conditions are the same for each duo. Which means how dynamic each duo is enhances their ability to be on the top, and ward+burress=complete, while bruce+holt=lacking in a couple places

Lacking what exactly? You want speed? Holt has that. You want fantastic hands? Bruce and Holt have that. You want route running ability? Bruce and Holt have that. You want an over the middle possession receiver? Bruce has that.

I'm not forgetting how good Burress was, Holt is just way above him in all aspects of the game. Burress was only as good as his team was. When Pitt strugged, he struggled, Ward was the only consistent stud WR through thick and thin. Bruce & Holt were studs even during the Rams leaner years.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:47 pm

The thing however that Bruce and Holt do not have that Burress and Ward have lots of is size. Anyone who saw Ricky Manning Jr. wrestle the ball out of Torry Holt's hands in the Panthers-Rams playoff game knows that Hines Ward or Plax wouldn't have gotten bulled over for the ball by a rookie CB.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:49 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:The thing however that Bruce and Holt do not have that Burress and Ward have lots of is size. Anyone who saw Ricky Manning Jr. wrestle the ball out of Torry Holt's hands in the Panthers-Rams playoff game knows that Hines Ward or Plax wouldn't have gotten bulled over for the ball by a rookie CB.

Exactly what I was going to say ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:06 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Bruce & Holt were studs even during the Rams leaner years.

Considering Holt's rookie year was in 1999 when St. Louis won the Super Bowl, I'm assuming that you are referring to 2000 and 2002 as the Rams' leaner years. In these two years, Holt combined for only 10 TD's and not even 2000 yards. In my mind, 5 TD's and 1000 yards receiving in a season isn't stud-like.

Bruce was around before the 1999 St. Louis championship. In the Rams' "leaner years" (the two seasons before the championship), Bruce had a combined 6 TD's and roughly 1200 yards receiving. Once again, I wouldn't consider someone who put up 3 TD's and 600 yards a season a stud.

And while everyone knows how what kind of stats the two duos put up last season, in 2003, I'd like to refresh some people's memory about 2002.

Plaxico Burress- 1325 yards and 7 TD's
Hines Ward- 1329 yards and 12 TD's

Torry Holt- 1302 yards and 4 TD's
Isaac Bruce- 1075 yards and 7 TD's

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk