Who is the NFL's top receiving duo? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the NFL's top receiving duo?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:28 pm

VHawk15 wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:Bruce & Holt were studs even during the Rams leaner years.

Considering Holt's rookie year was in 1999 when St. Louis won the Super Bowl, I'm assuming that you are referring to 2000 and 2002 as the Rams' leaner years. In these two years, Holt combined for only 10 TD's and not even 2000 yards.

By "not even 2000 yards." you mean he was just shy of 3000 yards right (2937 yards to be exact)? 170 catches too btw.

Bruce was around before the 1999 St. Louis championship. In the Rams' "leaner years" (the two seasons before the championship), Bruce had a combined 6 TD's and roughly 1200 yards receiving. Once again, I wouldn't consider someone who put up 3 TD's and 600 yards a season a stud.

Injury shortened years. The two seasons previous, he had 3000 yards 200 catches and 20 TDs total.

And while everyone knows how what kind of stats the two duos put up last season, in 2003, I'd like to refresh some people's memory about 2002.

Plaxico Burress- 1325 yards and 7 TD's
Hines Ward- 1329 yards and 12 TD's

Torry Holt- 1302 yards and 4 TD's
Isaac Bruce- 1075 yards and 7 TD's

Can't deny Hines Ward is a stud when it comes to the endzone despite his size. That's one of my favorite things about him. Burress, however, is nowhere near as dominant in the endzone as other WRs of his size. (6'5 225)

Anyway, I'm done with this for all time. Last time I debated in a thread this long it got mysteriously locked.

8-o
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:40 pm

haha i j ust gotta add a little more...
Burress was dominant for lobs before this year, and should be again once he gets his hands back, which is what the new WR coach wants to do. This is for next year too so Bruce in 1995 was nearly 10 years before what were considering. Plax in the endzone is a big target and with his improvement in catching he will be dominant, and bruce/holt dont have that size to be dominant in the endzone. Ward/plax are more complete, and that is what makes a great duo, it gives the QB more ways, places to throw the ball, hence allowing for a more productive passing game.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:11 pm

I've already given you my opinion on last year's best duo and you haven't changed my mind on that. Now to stir things up a bit, what was the best in history. How about Carter/Moss in 2000 (Moss 1400+ yds, 15 TD; Carter 1274 yds, 9 TD) ! Two future Hall of Famers together. And what about a prediction as to what duo will be the best next year? How about Moss/Robinson of the Vikings. Other than the Holt/Bruce combination what team will boast two wide receivers each of whom has had years of 1400 or more yards (Robinson in 99, Moss in 99, 00, 03!! Moss is better than Holt and Robinson is younger than Bruce with a greater potential upside for next year. Think about that for a while.
Last edited by M_Zimm_ffc on Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:15 pm

All Robinson is is a deep threat, I'm not sold on him. But as for your all-time best duo, how about swann/stallworth? :-D 2 HOF there. They are fist that came in mind...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Natala Gala Pampa » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:52 pm

Here is my top five combos.
Torry Holt/Isaac Bruce speed and hands
Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne excellent route runners
Randy Moss/Marcus Robinson Probably the tallest combo
Keenan McCardell/Joey Galloway Excel at 3rd downs
David Boston/Chris Chambers Very athletic/ not consistent

other considerations
Hines Ward/Plaxico Burress Great run blockers
Chad Johnson/Peter Warrick Very good bet to be top 5 next year
Laverneus Coles/Rod Gardner Spurrier system hurt them
Koren Robinson/Darrell Jackson Drop way too many balls
Terrell Owens/ Todd Pinkston Now we will see if McNabb is accurate
Donald Driver/ Javon Walker Very young on run oriented team
Derrick Mason/ Drew Bennett Calico could be better than both

Longshot but possible
Quincy Morgan/Andre Davis Tall and athletic; Is Garcia the answer?
Natala Gala Pampa
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:55 pm

NittanyLions wrote:All Robinson is is a deep threat, I'm not sold on him. But as for your all-time best duo, how about swann/stallworth? :-D 2 HOF there. They are fist that came in mind...
Certainly my projection for next year is up to debate, it is just my view. As to my quote of best WR duo in any single year in history I still stand by my Moss/Carter in the year 2000. I did the research for ya on Swann and Stallworth; Swann never had over 900 yards in a season and Stallworth's best years were after Swann was gone. Another duo that came to mind was Jerry Rice and John Taylor but there again, they never had a year together that equaled the stats that Moss and Carter had in year 2000. So until somebody proves me wrong I stick with my pick of Moss and Carter.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CC » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:27 pm

A bunch of great tandems:

Swann/Stallworth
Carter/Moss
Rice/TO
Rod Smith/McCaffrey
Jimmy Smith/McCardell

I'm too young to remember any of the great old-time tandems but these are some of the best that I remember from recent years.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pmix » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:37 pm

Zimm Compare these numbers

1984 Dolphins

Clayton 1389 yds 18 tds
Duper 1306 yds 8 tds

2000 Vikings

Moss 1437 yds 15 tds
Carter 1274 tds 9 tds

Moss/Carter 16 more yards vs Clayton/Duper 2 more tds

Damn Close
I'M A CERTIFIED 'SPECIAL MASTER'
pmix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JrcWy » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:46 pm

Hahaha...here is a worthless hypothetical statistic.

In 1995 Jerry Rice and Tim Brown combined for 3,190 yards and 25 TDs. Imagine that!

Rice: 1848(yards, not birthday) and 15 TDs
Brown: 1342 yds and 10 TDs
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby steelyeri » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:42 am

JrcWY wrote:Hahaha...here is a worthless hypothetical statistic.

In 1995 Jerry Rice and Tim Brown combined for 3,190 yards and 25 TDs. Imagine that!

Rice: 1848(yards, not birthday) and 15 TDs
Brown: 1342 yds and 10 TDs

they were together in 2001 and 2002 and they didn't do too bad.

Rice: 1139 9tds
Brown: 1165 9tds

Rice: 1211 yards
Brown: 930 yards

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk