Tinkering Around with Fantasy Rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tinkering Around with Fantasy Rules

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:12 pm

This league sounds like it wouldn't be a lot of fun. I think 16 teams is pushing it and 32 is just obscene. You would have to start the Pinkstons and Chester Taylor's of the NFL world just to field a team.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:28 pm

i like the suggestion of having two 16 team conferences, each with thier own player pool. 32 teams is crazy, there is no way you could find enough runningbacks for a league that big.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby sfkierkegaard » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:22 pm

The only way this would really work is to add offensive lines, defensive players and kick returners I would think. And make their point values approximate what the top offensive guys would get.

Here are the starters for each team:
1 QB
1 RB
2 WR
1 TE
2 of the following are also included (RB/WR/TE)

2 DL
2 LB
2 DB
2 of the following are also included (DL/LB/DB)

If you are going to do that, maybe there should be two conferences where the same player can go in each league.

I am actually already involved with a league that has two conferences of 16 teams with seperate player pools. Even in a league this size, there were a lot of good players not on rosters at the end of the year.
sfkierkegaard
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby sfkierkegaard » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:27 pm

The biggest knock against this is backup players. There are only 36 starting QBs. There are only 36 starting Ks. There are not enough RBs to cover backups for all 32 teams. Overall sounds like a bad idea.

I think it would be more correct for you to say that there are not enough RBs for every owner to have two starters. Obviously an owner could draft N. Davenport as a back-up to Ahman Green. Or draft a FB like Richie Anderson who scores decently since the league counts a reception as 1pt.
sfkierkegaard
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby sfkierkegaard » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:58 pm

You would have to start the Pinkstons and Chester Taylor's of the NFL world just to field a team.

I'm not am not sure if this is the case with this post, but I think that people have somehow gotten so used to one format of Fantasy Football that they automatically assume that the value of every player stays the same in every league.

People seem completely apprehensive about having to potentially start a player like Todd Pinkston or Dez White. If you are in a 12 man league, these players are completely worthless. I know that it always feels nice to have a bunch of good players on your roster, but don't you ever get sick of having to choose between stud RBs or WRs?

The whole idea behind this league is to include more strategy and more players into the mix.
sfkierkegaard
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby sfkierkegaard » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:28 pm

....the sheer size of the league will force my hand, rather than my own judgement. Also, if Shipp were my #1, what real value would my #3 have?

I am not entirely sure that you are absolutely forced to grab the entire RB-BC package. Say that you acquire Marcel Shipp and later on in the draft you have the choice between certain players: Emmitt Smith; Tony Fischer; and Onterio Smith. Wouldn't Onterio Smith be a more attractive pick considering E. Smith and M. Bennett seem to be injury prone?

I guess what I am trying to illustrate, is that an owner has choices to make about scarcity. Here is a hypothetical situation: An owner can decide that he will go after quality WRs since he expects a run on RBs to happen right away in the draft. Because the league is so large, this owner might not get a starting RB. Does this mean that his season is sunk? No, it doesn't matter if his 1RB position is weak if he built up strength in his 4WR positons? He may actually find himself at an advantage, because some owners will pass up a quality WR for a medicore RB.
sfkierkegaard
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Natala Gala Pampa » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:53 am

I have to say I think the league sounds interesting. I have joined it. Of course there is going to be a lot of questionable players starting, but isn't that the point of the league? This recquires owners to do some research and projecting. In this league you can't just use a cheatsheet and have a team with superstars. Yeah your rb might be Marcel Shipp and that isn't very good (just ask Arizona). But through the free agent and rookie draft you can change that. Your starters are real starters in the NFL and your back-ups are real back-ups in the NFL. Perhaps this league sounds to difficult for some of you, or perhaps you don't want to do the research. Maybe other reasons but I look forward to either building a winning team or trying to rebuild a losing team.
Natala Gala Pampa
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Natala Gala Pompous

Postby mig28 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:19 am

Natalie,
Most dedicated ffl owners I know spend a great deal of time and energy researching for their season, and from the tone of most of the content in this forum, so do those who post here. Coversely, I find your tone to be more than a little insulting, particularly the notion that this watered down version of fantasy football you've subscribed to is "too difficult" for the rest of us. The plain truth is, the concept is not an appealing one. You're also way off the mark about the cheatsheets; veteran owners devise and trust in their own rankings, rather than attach themselves to the myriad opinions published about our game each season.
As a ten year ffl owner and second year commissioner, the only adjective I would give this concoction is BORING.
Last edited by mig28 on Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bgboxers » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:12 am

Mig or is it cheerleader,
Doesn't sound like this would be the right league for you anyway. If "research" consists of comparing a few cheatsheets and making a few adjustments that probably wouldn't be enough to get by. I'm looking forward to this league as skill will be necessary to have a chance to win the league. I'm fine with starting a player like Pinkston and needing him to make 2 catches on a Monday league game to get a win as this is exciting. I get bored with a league where the studs are split up between 10 or 12 teams and every team has a legitimate shot to win just by picking off of a magazine cheat sheet. FF means different things to different people but hopefully this league will only attract owners that are up to a real challenge.
Last edited by bgboxers on Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgboxers
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Natala Gala Pampa » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:04 pm

Boxers, you said it much better than I did. I apologize if I came off rude or demeaning. I am just bored with standard 12 or 14 team leagues. To me those leagues are not as challenging as they could be. Your point is well taken Cheerleader. To many this type of league will be boring. But for those who are looking for something different and incorporating more NFL players then this league will provide that.
Natala Gala Pampa
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk