Tinkering Around with Fantasy Rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tinkering Around with Fantasy Rules

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:59 pm

I think this was pretty damn rude as well, if a guy wants to play in a 32 team league so be it. I have no problem with that, but then to lord it over people who are obviously in touch with the fantasy football world or to say their more manageable sized leagues are easy and that they are lazy (not doing research). You join this Cafe and you respect the other members, don't come crying to us when you lose all your games and end up ranked 32 out of 32.

By the way, anyone else get the feeling Natala etc. and bgboxers are the same person?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:02 pm

Regardless of you feel about the eliteness of it, you still have the following issues.

1) You need 64 QBs for each team to have a viable backup. Even switching to a team QB won't help unless you assign some sort of bye week points. Of course by doing that, you nullify your intention of the league which is to have a more in-depth knowledge of all players.

2) You need 64 RBs for each team to have a viable backup. Do you know who the #64 fantasy RB was last year? Derrick Blaylock, KC. He had a total of 8 weeks with 0 points and 3 weeks with 1 point. Not exactly a guy I want as my #1 RB backup. It'd basically be LUCK if he scored the week he had to fill in on a bye week. God forbid your starting RB gets hurt or fails a drug test.

3) Ks. Do you have them? If so, see point 1.

4) I'm unclear about your flex positions. Are those 2 offensive flex positions in addition to the normal starters or ARE they the starters? Post your starting lineup and maybe we could understand a little better.

5) I'd hate to have pick 16 or 17 in that draft. Every round after the 1st and you have to wait a mininum of 30 picks before it's your turn again.

I won't even get into the lameness of having your friend post here to back you up and rip the posters who offered their opinion on your league. I doubt this league would be anywhere near as challenging as you think, and would just be an exercise in frustration "boy I hope my RB scores this week!!".
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bgboxers » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:17 pm

I don't even know this other guy so its not his fault that I submitted a post. Just thought some of the bashing was unjustified. Clearly this type of league would be boring for the free yahoo league type that relies solely on a cheat sheet for drafting a team. Realize there are also very competitive 12 team leagues and I play those too. 32-team format obviously isn't for all of these guys either. However, it is a unique format that most including myself have not played in yet. If your top player goes down with an injury you are clearly screwed but the Falcons can probably relate to that after last season. The league will be won in the middle and late round drafts and with good team mgt during the year, rather than by the team that gets the first pick. In my opinion the league is very interesting because if you are lucky enough to avoid a season ending injury to your stud player, the most skilled owners will rise to the top.
bgboxers
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby CC » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:31 pm

Not meaning to continue on sounding like a bastard but how does your player not getting injured qualify you as a better owner. I'll admit this league might be fun for some but it's pretty impractical if you think about it, and its not like every team is even going to have a legit stud player as some teams will have to hang their hats on Hines Ward and Santana Moss as their stud.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

bg boxers

Postby mig28 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:37 pm

Boxers,
I understand you are trying to make a point, but look at your last sentence... the luck/skill juxtaposition completely contradicts itself.
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bgboxers » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:49 pm

Winning any league whether the WCOFF, a free yahoo league, or this league involves a combination of luck and skill. My point was if you aren't one of the unlucky teams (call it 3-5 teams each year) taken out by an unfortunate injury that you can't overcome, this format will enable the better owners to rise to the top. Clearly good and bad breaks will play a role in determining the winner but I believe skill will play a more significant role in this league compared to most formats.

Those that find the concept boring I understand its not for everyone. If you want a league that is unique and challenging it might be for you.
bgboxers
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Natala Gala Pampa » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:50 pm

True some teams back-up running back might be Derrick Blaylock. Just as KC's back-up running back was Derrick Blaylock. As far as a star player getting hurt that will happen to a handful of teams. But if you are a wise fantasy manager you will have that player's back-up. If I draft S.Alexander I will surely draft M.Morris earlier than any other team. Of course my plan may be foiled, but if someone wants to draft my back-up running back then I'll use that pick on a starting linebacker. This will be a league will teams should try to handcuff their starting Qb, Rb and maybe even Wr and Te with the back-up. Again, this is a unique league and worth $50 to find out if it is worth the time and effort. I think it will be. It will also provide the ability to do lots of trading to tweak your team. You have a starting offense and defense as well as 20 draft picks and a years cap to try and balance. I don't call that boring. On the surface it may appear boring because Todd Pinkston actually carries value, but if you look at the complexity of the league you will see its challenge. I hope some of you are willing to at least try it before blowing it to bits. Again the league is inexpensive and very unique. If the league sucks I will playout the year and not sign up for it again.
Natala Gala Pampa
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Previous

Return to Football Talk