How does your league handle free agency? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How does your league handle free agency?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How does your league handle free agency?

Postby mig28 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:48 pm

Last season, my twleve team league awarded FA by worst record, which was O.K. at that time, as they were all new to the game. I want to go a different route this season, as I feel that "worst record" rewards complacency and leaves the top teams out in the cold.
Tell me how your league does it...I'm looking for fairness above all, even if the method is unorthodox. Right now, a bidding system using capped credits is what I'm leaning toward. Thanks.
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:58 pm

I've always been a fan of the "1st come, 1st served" approach. I think if you decide that a player will have an impact and you are the first one to have this idea, you deserve that player on your team. For instance if you see Corey Dillon go down with another injury and run and grab Rudi Johnson in the 1st quarter, and then he finishes with 120 yards, some chump who's team is playing badly doesn't deserve him if he doesn't know about Rudi until he sees the statline.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:07 pm

I think it's cheesy to be able to pick up and add players once the games start on Sunday. Just because you're the guy with DirectTV and 5 TVs on at once watching every game doesn't mean you should be able to add a guy immediately. I liked it best on cbssportsline.com when FA/Waiver requests weren't processed until Wednesday 12am.

I think their FA/waiver process was based on total points scored in the previous week, so losing teams for just THAT week had priority on FA. If it didn't work that way, that's the way I would do it since winning teams are penalized for being good.
However, I think your statement about waiver priority being based on team record breeds complacency isn't really true. Even if it does, what's it matter they will consistently be in last place anyway, who cares if they get first pick at FAs.
;-)
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bgboxers » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:08 pm

Recommend bidding for FA's and also having 1 or 2 times that waivers are run each week.
bgboxers
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:16 pm

FA are locked once the games start, and the priority list is reset. On Wednesday, FA claims are serviced according to the new priority list which is based on overall record (worst has highest priority) with total points breaking any ties.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Gunslinger » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:18 pm

The worst-picks-first seems to work ok for leagues with active owners (in other words, pay leagues). The open market approach isn't very fair for reasons that KG said above.

The bidding approach is real cool if you are in a league that supports it.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheHeat24 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:25 pm

In our league we had to pay three bucks for each player we aquired. The wire was open every four weeks and it was first come first serve, most of us didnt like it so we will most likely be changing it to first come first serve basis but still with a price attatched which I like because if you wanna take a risk its a real risk but when it pays off its that much more enjoyable.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:31 pm

In my league it is first come-first serve! I like it that way! I feel that whoever thinks about picking up a player first should be rewarded with him! And also, The rosters are locked for Sunday Games. I can't make any changes while the games are in progress. IF I pick up a FA during a game he will appear on my roster for Next Week, Or this week (but it would be a bench spot)
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby aussieboy » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:47 pm

Some good points previously mentioned....there are arguments for different options.....Giving a priority list based on performance is a good way to even out a league. A guy that picked up both rudi and DD last yr wouldve been pretty competitive immediately. However i also agree with those that believe that successful teams should not be punished so its a tough one.......

I dont think its fair to be able to pick up FA during games....Kinghidra stated a few reasons why.....to add to this id like to give an international perspective. Im from Australia and the games are played between 4:30am and 8:00am......on monday mornings.....with ur Monday night game being played at around 1130am on tuesday my time. So as u can see its not exactly fair to make it first come first serve when some of the members in your respective leagues are not even close to the time zone u guys are fortunate enough to be in.........I usually stay awake for the games anyways but sometimes its not always possible so to know that ill have a fair shot at FA pickups by making a lockout till a couple of days later i think is very fair to everyone.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jaymz742 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:28 pm

A pro for being able to pick up FA during a game is if your starter goes down. They report hes going to miss a significant amount of time. You should be able to jump on his back-up.If you have a certain time that you can claim FA and you go to claim the guy Joe blow in your league could be sittin' at his computer waiting for the gates to open and he lands your Back-up cause hes got a cable connection and you got some bunk dial-up connection. At least you would have a chance at gettin' your guy.

My league uses a first come first serve system. But we have a limit on the number of moves. So you can't just go picking up the hot player each week. It took a couple years to tweak in the right amount of moves for our league but it does make you ration your adds and drops.
jaymz742
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk