A Man Who Raised His Stock

Moderator: Football Moderators

A Man Who Raised His Stock

Postby CC » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:41 pm

Larry Fitzgerald.
My main man blazed his 40-time today.

This from Profootballtalk.com
FITZGERALD RUNS 4.49; SPENCER DOES 4.38

Our moles in the 'Burgh tell us that Pitt receiver Larry Fitzgerald ran a faster-than-expected 4.49 in the 40-yard dash during his Pro Day workout on Monday.

The effort solidifies Fitzgerald's status, in our view, as the best receiver available in the draft -- if not the best player.

So ignore our mock draft version 3.0, which has Fitz falling to No. 11. Given his sub-4.5 time, he's back in the top five, and he likely won't last beyond the three hole.

Also raising eyebrows on Monday was Pitt corner Shawntee Spencer, who ran a blazing 4.38. Spencer has been in the first round of our mock draft from the outset, though he wasn't even invited to the scouting combine.

But with four years of covering Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Bryant and a sub-4.4 forty, look for Spencer's name to start popping up in places where he previously has been ignored.

And when he gets lifted in round one, remember where you heard it first.

OK, not quite blazed it but an impressive effort all the same.
Fitzgeralds got everything size, hands, body control, instincts and even pretty good speed.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:45 pm

Yeah he is good and I look for him to be a big impact in the NFL. You know who he reminds me of? my man hines ward...his only differences are he doesnt block as well and still needs to gain some NFL coaching and experience to touch up on a lot of his skills. But someday I look for him to be another Ward
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Fitzgerald

Postby recmccl » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:10 pm

The kid seems to have good character too. Hope he has a great career
recmccl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:28 pm

This article gives a pretty good explanation of the 40-time and what all this is about...sometimes im just not sure whether 40-times should be taken seriously as the player might not have ran his best when he got clocked...but apparantly .2 sec is a matter of 3 feet, so it makes sense why they care about tenths of a second
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=1755846
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cupertino_11 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:07 pm

Good info there NL..... ;-D
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:34 pm

Nittany, I don't really see Fitzgerald being that much like Ward. Ward is a great NFL WR that is tough as nails, and stretches his potential to the limit. Fitzgerald has elite physical tools and if he plays up to his potential can be one of the better WRs of all time. They are both great players but I see Fitzgerald as the type of WR that can take over a game, and Ward as a guy that does the little things (as well as being a very good WR) to help his team win.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:14 pm

Combine 40 times are a joke. No pads, straight line, hand timed. Sounds more like a HS indoor track meet than pro football. Who cares if a guy ran 4.49 or 4.44, it's the same damn speed.

If they wanted a true 40 yard time, they should put the guy in pads and make him beat press coverage at the line.

My $.02
;-)
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:00 pm

CC,
I've had the blessing to se them both in real life more than once...and Fitz does look like a young ward, and if you think ward doesnt change a game ur wrong. he changes games in the 4th qtr a TON...almost all the time he makes clutch catches to keep em going. I dont see Fitz being the all-time greatest, bnut still being a great WR
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:59 pm

NittanyLions wrote:CC,
I've had the blessing to se them both in real life more than once...and Fitz does look like a young ward, and if you think ward doesnt change a game ur wrong. he changes games in the 4th qtr a TON...almost all the time he makes clutch catches to keep em going. I dont see Fitz being the all-time greatest, bnut still being a great WR

im starting to think you have a mancrush on ward or something ;-) He seems to pop up in all of your posts somewhere

Friendliness: %

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:16 pm

Anonymous wrote:
NittanyLions wrote:CC,

im starting to think you have a mancrush on ward or something ;-) He seems to pop up in all of your posts somewhere

haha no way. hes just amazing ;-D ive meet him before and he is no TO...ive liked him since he got drafted and hes been my fav player since :-)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk