Raiders introduce Sapp - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Oakland Raiders

Raiders introduce Sapp

Moderator: Football Moderators

Raiders introduce Sapp

Postby WebHamster » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:00 am

Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - The Oakland Raiders introduced defensive tackle Warren Sapp on Monday, two days after signing him to a seven-year, $36.6 million contract.

"It's been nine years since I had to talk about a new team and it is refreshing to me," Sapp said.

Sapp -- a seven-time Pro Bowl selection -- was close to signing a four-year deal with the Cincinnati Bengals right before agreeing to terms with Oakland.

The 31-year-old Sapp has spent his entire nine-year NFL career in Tampa Bay, missing only three games. He has collected 398 career tackles along with 76 1/2 sacks, two short of the franchise mark set by Hall of Famer Lee Roy Selmon. Sapp has also made three interceptions over 140 NFL regular season contests.

"The Raiders are back and I want to have something to do with that," Sapp said.

The 6-foot-2, 303-pound Sapp had one of the greatest seasons for a defensive tackle in NFL history in 2000, amassing 52 tackles, 16.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

Sapp helped the Buccaneers win Super Bowl XXXVII to finish off the 2002 season, during which the University of Miami product notched 47 tackles, 7.5 sacks and two interceptions.

In 2003, Tampa head coach Jon Gruden began to use Sapp in certain offensive formations, primarily as a fullback or tight end in short yardage situations. Sapp had four catches for 39 yards and two touchdowns last season.

"If he has a couple of balls for me, I will definitely take them," Sapp said.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 204)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Oakland Raiders