Could this mean Warner is on his way out (Chandler to Rams)? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Could this mean Warner is on his way out (Chandler to Rams)?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Could this mean Warner is on his way out (Chandler to Rams)?

Postby DUKE » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:26 am

Chandler gets deal for 3 years from Rams
By Jim Thomas
Of the Post-Dispatch
03/22/2004

Chris Chandler is sacked by Adam Archuleta during a Rams/Bears games.
(JB Forbes /P-D)

In 1995, the Los Angeles Rams decided to bring quarterback Chris Miller with them to St. Louis instead of Chris Chandler. Nine years later, Chandler is finally coming to St. Louis.

Chandler, who was released by the Chicago Bears on Friday, has agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the Rams. Contract terms weren't immediately available.

Let the speculation began as to what this means to Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner and the overall Rams quarterback situation.

"It just strengthens the position," coach Mike Martz said Monday. "Obviously, we're not bringing Scott Covington back. So Chris is one of our three quarterbacks. He's not coming in here to compete as a starter. He's coming in here in a backup capacity. He understands that."

Real Estate & Rentals (79)
Automotive & Vehicles (70)
Dining & Entertainment (57)
Furniture (29)
Finance (25)
Medical (24)
Home Improvement & Gardening (22)
Department Store (18)
Travel & Hotels (16)
Auctions & Estate Sales (12)
...more on Ad Zone

In 1994, the Rams' last season in California, Martz was the team's quarterback coach, so he obviously worked closely with Chandler. Chandler played in 12 games that year with six starts. He completed 61.4 percent of his attempts that season (108 for 176) with a passer rating of 93.8. Other than his 1997 and '98 Pro Bowl seasons in Atlanta, when Chandler was at the height of his skills, it was the highest passer rating of his 16-year NFL career.

After that '94 season, Chandler went to the Houston Oilers as an unrestricted free agent. Miller came to the Rams but didn't make it through the '95 season because of a series of concussions. A few years later, when Chandler was leading Atlanta to the Super Bowl, some observers wondered if the Rams had kept the wrong Chris.

"His experience is invaluable," Martz said. "He's been in the Super Bowl. He knows how to win. He's a real good fit for what we're looking for right now."

At age 38, Chandler has his best football behind him. He hasn't been a full-time starter since 2001, his final season in Atlanta. Last season with the Bears, he started six times, including Chicago's 23-21 loss to the Rams Nov. 16 at Soldier Field. For the season, he completed 55.7 percent of his passes (107 for 192), with three touchdown passes, seven interceptions and a 61.3 passer rating.

Whether it's as the Rams' No. 2 or No. 3 quarterback, Chandler still has something to offer, Martz believes.

"He's very intelligent," Martz said. "He's the one guy who can come in here as a veteran and know exactly what we're doing within a very short period of time. He's very accurate, and he's got good presence in the huddle."
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NFLknowitall » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:39 am

That is very interesting. They would take a huge salary cap hit if they drop Warner. They don't have much cap room left and they did tenure Bulger pretty high, but no contract yet. Martz and the Rams? I never know what they are doing.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:42 pm

Crystal Chandalier has little value, what the hell is Martz thinking? 38 years old and one hit away for the vegetable garden. What the hell is Martz thinking? I would doubt that this would lead to the Rams cutting Mrs Warner's husband, but who knows what the hell Martz is thinking.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Lushcrush » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:44 pm

moochman wrote:Crystal Chandalier has little value, what the hell is Martz thinking? 38 years old and one hit away for the vegetable garden. What the hell is Martz thinking? I would doubt that this would lead to the Rams cutting Mrs Warner's husband, but who knows what the hell Martz is thinking.

This move might lead some to say that Martz is an "idiot" ...
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:12 pm

Lushcrush wrote:
moochman wrote:Crystal Chandalier has little value, what the hell is Martz thinking? 38 years old and one hit away for the vegetable garden. What the hell is Martz thinking? I would doubt that this would lead to the Rams cutting Mrs Warner's husband, but who knows what the hell Martz is thinking.

This move might lead some to say that Martz is an "idiot" ...

This and the dozen or so others...
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:31 pm

just type in the 2 words "martz" and "idiot" together in the search and you'll see how many pages of threads contain those two words together :-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:57 pm

If your job as an NFL QB is threatened by Chris Chander, that's just SAD!
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:14 pm

DUKE wrote:just type in the 2 words "martz" and "idiot" together in the search and you'll see how many pages of threads contain those two words together :-D

Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Homeless » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:35 pm

LOL ;-D ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:57 pm

LOL ;-D This is crazy, Martz is an idiot, they are lucky theyve got bulger there, but if he is a sophomore bust uh oh! :-o
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk