Eric Crouch to try out a new position in Green Bay... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eric Crouch to try out a new position in Green Bay...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Eric Crouch to try out a new position in Green Bay...

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:22 pm

So maybe a third time around, and another new position, will be a charm for Eric Crouch.

The 2001 Heisman Trophy winner, who twice previously bolted NFL training camps and seemed to be retired from the game for good, has been reinstated by Green Bay from the "reserve/retired" list and is expected to participate in the Packers' offseason conditioning program and spring minicamps.

This time, it will be as a defensive back, likely at safety.

Crouch, 25, has been considering another shot at the NFL for the last few months. Green Bay essentially has no risk, because Crouch will earn the rookie minimum base salary of $230,000 if he makes the team, and the Packers did not invest a signing bonus in him.

The former Nebraska star was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the third round of the 2002 draft and signed a three-year, $1.3 million contract to play wide receiver. But late in training camp, and still with an opportunity to make the team or the practice squad, he left the Rams, citing the difficulties of making the transition to wide receiver.

After the Rams relinquished his rights, the Packers claimed him on waivers in the spring of 2003, and Green Bay officials offered Crouch a chance to play quarterback. But with a crowded depth chart, and slowed by injuries, Crouch walked away from the Packers two days into training camp.

Now he is back for another, and likely final, attempt to prove he belongs in the league.

In a celebrated college career, Crouch appeared in 42 games for the Cornhuskers and started 38 of them. He is one of only 13 players in college football annals to both rush and pass for over 1,000 yards in a season.

Crouch is one of only three players at the Division I-A level to throw for 4,000 yards and run for 3,000 yards in his career and he also holds the NCAA career record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback.

In addition to the Heisman Trophy, he also captured the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award for 2001 and the Davey O'Brien Quarterback Award. He is the most decorated quarterback in Nebraska history and was one of the most prolific offensive players in recent history of the college game.

He completed 312 of 606 passes for 4,481 yards, with 29 touchdown passes and 25 interceptions. Crouch carried 648 times for 3,434 yards and scored 59 rushing touchdowns.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=1757031

Somehow I doubt that this is gonna fly....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:12 pm

This guy is like Ron Dayne...He should just give it up...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JrcWy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:25 pm

I can really see him doing well on LA's expansion team...if they go with the name "The L.A. Option is the Only Play We Have." He never proved he could run a real offense.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:26 pm

JrcWY wrote:I can really see him doing well on LA's expansion team...if they go with the name "The L.A. Option is the Only Play We Have." He never proved he could run a real offense.

Which might be why he is giving up on offense altogether... He is a good athlete, but I just don't see him being a hard nosed safety up in the frozen tundra... :-t

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JrcWy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:37 pm

Reminds me of those new Nike commercials where Vick and Urlacher play hockey and Randy Johnson is a pro bowler. (I love those commercials by the way) I think Crouch is a good athlete, IMO he just missed his sport somewhere along the line.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CC » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:57 pm

NittanyLions wrote:This guy is like Ron Dayne...He should just give it up...

Hey, hey, hey. Let's not run Ron Dayne down here, I bet that he makes an impact for the Giants this year, as a goal-line back if nothing else.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:39 pm

Snore..

Doesn't every Nebraska QB do this?

Scott Frost was a backup safety for the Jets and Rams a few years ago.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby terpfan » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:52 pm

safety? i thought he was coming back as the waterboy...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:00 pm

NittanyLions wrote:This guy is like Ron Dayne...He should just give it up...

Im not saying i like Ron Dayne but he is not a quitter like Eric Crouch is. If I had had any remote shot in playin the NFL I would be there trying to the end... He left after 2 days like the b**ch he is, I would also like to note that he is from nebraska and i predesposed to hating him.

One more thing of note is that ron dayne was a first rounder... he obviously has some skills and with coughlin as coach he might get some playing time... To me him and Tj Duckett are just big guys who ran over lil guys in college and once they get to the nfl everyone is huge and they cant run them over anymore/

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:20 pm

I was intending on making my point as in hes a heisman winner who has had no success, i didnt intend on calling dayne a loser at all, i agree with you.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk