Couch to replace Favre? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Couch to replace Favre?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Couch to replace Favre?

Postby TTTBone » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:31 pm

Mar. 24 - A report in the Canton (Ohio) Repository suggests the Packers could have interest in acquiring Couch to back up, and eventually take over for, Brett Favre. The Browns, who recently signed Jeff Garcia and named him the starting QB, have given Couch permission to seek out a trade, but reports suggest teams are likely to wait for the Browns to release him. If Cleveland releases Couch before June 1, the team will save nearly $6 million. That savings increases to $7.6 million if the team waits until after June 1.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:11 pm

LOL, glad im not a packer fan :-b
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby sinnlos26 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:11 pm

that ought to make some people antsy; favre had a pretty good season i think, especially after his dad died and he played all out. he is getting older though, but why couch? why not recruit someone out of college and train them rather than a mediocre replacement? :-?
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:20 pm

I'm not a believer in couch, i know hes still young and can bounce back, but id rather take in a guy who hasnt yet failed, like draft someone. Though id like for them to take him off the board for the steelers :-)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:22 pm

I'm just happy I'll finally be able to name Green Bay's backup QB for the first time in years.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:24 pm

Canacuna wrote:I'm just happy I'll finally be able to name Green Bay's backup QB for the first time in years.

haha good point. but how about your matt hasselbeck ;-)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JrcWy » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:37 pm

I only see the packers doing this if they are worried about Favre's health or the potential injuries that come with his age. If the organization thinks it has a shot at making, and going deep into the playoffs, they might need a QB with experience in case Favre goes down. Really, I can't think of another reason for this. Its very unlike Green Bay who traditionally hands control of the wheel over to a young guy to drive for a decade before getting another 10 year guy.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CC » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:47 pm

Think of the backups that lounged behind Favre over the last few years:

Hasselback
Warner
Brooks
Brunell

They let all these guys walk and now that they are in need of a backup they're backing up Favre with Doug Pederson. Couch isn't great but I think he could be good behind a line that gives him more than 2 seconds to throw the ball. He has a strong arm, decent mobility, and decent decision making skills. He might flourish in GB.

That might be just wishful thinking on my part however.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:06 pm

It would be a good move for Couch, if no one else. He needs to go somewhere where they still believe in throwing the ball downfield. He has proven he couldn't cut it with the Browns passing system, so try something different. He was a top prospect, so it may be early to just give up on him.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Football Newbie » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:00 pm

i like couch (maybe cuz i saw him at KY), hes got a cannon for an arm and under the right circumstances he could excell. By under the right circumstances i mean not being taken out at random and having more than 2 seconds to get rid of the ball.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk