Lions sign Marion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lions sign Marion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lions sign Marion

Postby TTTBone » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:38 pm

DETROIT (AP) _ Three-time Pro Bowl safety Brock Marion signed a four-year contract with the Lions on Thursday.

The Miami Dolphins released the 11-year veteran earlier this month to free salary-cap space after he had 81 tackles, three interceptions and two forced fumbles last season.

Marion has 20 interceptions in six seasons with the Dolphins, three of which he was selected to the Pro Bowl.

``Obviously, he's still playing at a high level,'' Lions president and general manager Matt Millen said. ``Generally, you don't want to take on a contract with an older player, but Brock still moves around and looks like he's 25.''

Marion will turn 34 this summer, but has been healthy throughout much of his career. The 5-foot-11, 200-pounder has missed only one start since 1996 and has started 138 games of the 166 he's played.

``He takes care of himself,'' Millen said. ``And he's a smart player, who will really help our secondary a lot.''

Marion will start at free safety next to strong safety Brian Walker, a former teammate from Miami. The Lions cut safety Corey Harris earlier this month.

Marion, who has 863 career tackles and 28 interceptions, played for the Dallas Cowboys from 1993-97.

The Lions have addressed some of their many needs this offseason by signing offensive lineman Damien Woody, cornerback Fernando Bryant, receiver Tai Streets, running back Shawn Bryson and offensive guard David Loverne.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:38 pm

Wow, does this mean they're not taking Taylor in the draft?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby TheHeat24 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:45 pm

Marion is a hundred years old he completely dropped off last year... detroit is just adding more age to their secondary him and brian walker have to be the two oldest starting safeties besides sehorn and williams... As for drafting Taylor I see them taking him and having him and terrence holt starting at safety

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:57 pm

This guy is still playing?
It does make the draft for them interesting
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:02 pm

I think Terrence Holt would start over Brian Walker, but Holt isn't that great so I wouldn't rule out Sean Taylor just yet.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelyeri » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:44 pm

They'll probably take steven jackson now. seen as how they have a safety now and hearst signed with the donks.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:16 pm

He will help solidify the secondary. Marion will probably not be asked to play every down, so he will be fresh and not hurt them when he does play. He is better than what was there. They also have Chris Cash returning from injury, he was to be the starting CB at the start of last season before injurying his knee. They may still go after Taylor, but I would be on the lookout for a draft day trade. Jackson is a desireable pick for the Lions, but they could probably take him a few picks later. I would love to see them grab Williams, either one, and have WR corps that would rock, but I would be surprized if they did. Winslow would be a shocker for them to take because of his father's distain for Millen and the Lions stemming from their mot interviewing a black coaching candidate before hiring Mornhenweg.
If they make the right choice the Lions could be a very much improved team and may even threaten to finish 8-8.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby nsulham » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:19 pm

steelyeri wrote:They'll probably take steven jackson now. seen as how they have a safety now and hearst signed with the donks.

No, no, no, he's falling to NE at #21 :-)
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk