5 Elway
Darth Vader
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best QB All Time

Postby hoshdude7 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:24 am

1. Marino
2. Elway (took the team to 5 superbowls)

Those are the only ones i care about
hoshdude7
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby kyguy78 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:19 pm

#1. Montana
#2. Elway
#3. Marino

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions!"
kyguy78
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby J35J » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:10 pm

He almost made it #1 of a few lists but never did.

I'd take Elway #1 personally. I'm a KC fan even... (damn donkeys!!!)
J35J
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:34 am

Interesting article out of Miami on Marino's ranking falling:

Marino argument takes a hit

Posted on Fri, Sep. 21, 2007
By GREG COTE
mailto:gcote@MiamiHerald.com

Dan Marino only rises in stature in our corner of the world. His legend grows and the memory of him sweetens with every passing year and every failed attempt to replace him.

Nationally, though, Marino's place in NFL history slips by degrees.

The Dolphins' great No. 13 sees his legacy worked over by the ever-growing emphasis on winning Super Bowls as a bottom line for measuring quarterbacks.

By the ascension of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady from present-day stars to an unquestioned place among the all-time greats.

And by Brett Favre surpassing Marino's record of 420 touchdown passes. Others wore the rings but Marino had the records; that is changing. Favre is at 417. Marino's signature record will change hands within weeks, if not in two days.

None of this makes Marino any less important or beloved around Greater Miami, but it may be time to acknowledge that few in football outside of Dolfans argue anymore for Marino as the greatest QB ever.

Heck, Ron Jaworski on ESPN the other day didn't even have Marino in his top eight. That's being ring-obsessed. But it reflects a school of thought gaining steam.

Marino won't fall from the greatest-ever conversation, but increasingly he is the token non-champion mentioned only for the prolific stats.

Historically I'd place Marino with Joe Montana and Johnny Unitas and not be picky about the order, with Steve Young fourth. I don't buy the notion rings alone put a man above Marino.

But what once distilled as Montana-or-Marino has changed.

I think Manning, Brady and Favre all have leapfrogged Marino in national regard in the past year, and I can't argue that each probably should.

With good health Super Manning will someday own all the records Favre is taking from Marino, his ring last season balancing the ledger.

Brady, with three championships and a great shot this year at a fourth by age 30, is poised to surpass Montana in the greatest-winner/ultimate-champ category.

Favre has won more games than any QB. He has won a Super Bowl -- and it takes but one to chase those ghosts. Now, soon: the TD mark.

''I really didn't think anybody could get to it,'' Marino admitted this week. ``But I thought if one guy would, it would be Brett.''

That's because no football man has combined excellence and durability like Favre. Sunday marks his record 240th straight start, his most impressive achievement.

''To me my legacy is more than records,'' Favre said Wednesday on a conference call. ``I hope it's the way I played and the durability, the reliability.''

Favre calls winning the most games the record most meaningful to him. He says winning a Super Bowl is his shining moment. He hopes the consecutive-games mark most shapes his legacy.

Which tells you a lot: That the career TD mark he's about to own -- the one record that most defined Marino -- will rank only fourth in what's special to Favre.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby yankees92 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:27 am

1. Montana
2. Marino
3. Aikman
4. Elway
5. Brady

That is my view, knock me if you want...
yankees92
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:03 am

J35J wrote:He almost made it #1 of a few lists but never did.

I'd take Elway #1 personally. I'm a KC fan even... (damn donkeys!!!)

It's hard for me to see taking Elway first, and here's why:

If you value winning and leadership, you have Montana ahead of him (and probably Brady for that matter), and if you value being a pure QB, stats, and such, you have Marino ahead of him (and likely Manning).

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:46 am

I'll be 40 this year and I still say that Elway is the best QB I ever saw play. He did it with his arm AND his legs. He almost single-handedly carried Denver to 3 SB's in the 80's & then won 2 when he finally got some help. And probably the biggest thing that he's remembered for: NFL record 47 fourth quarter comebacks. 8-o Great argument and no correct answer here. I'll take Elway. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:43 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:I'll be 40 this year and I still say that Elway is the best QB I ever saw play. He did it with his arm AND his legs. He almost single-handedly carried Denver to 3 SB's in the 80's & then won 2 when he finally got some help. And probably the biggest thing that he's remembered for: NFL record 47 fourth quarter comebacks. 8-o Great argument and no correct answer here. I'll take Elway. ;-D

While Elway is a great QB, he didn't really single-handedly carry his team to those SBs. Terrell Davis along with some others were very solid.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby treat24 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:43 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:I'll be 40 this year and I still say that Elway is the best QB I ever saw play. He did it with his arm AND his legs. He almost single-handedly carried Denver to 3 SB's in the 80's & then won 2 when he finally got some help. And probably the biggest thing that he's remembered for: NFL record 47 fourth quarter comebacks. 8-o Great argument and no correct answer here. I'll take Elway. ;-D

While Elway is a great QB, he didn't really single-handedly carry his team to those SBs. Terrell Davis along with some others were very solid.

Reread his post... He said that Elway single handedly carried Denver to 3 SBs in the 80's ... He then said Elway won 2 when he finally got some help (i.e. Terrell Davis and others).

AFF in moss to dallas thread wrote:Did you even read my post?

AFF in moss to dallas thread wrote:Next time you want to disagree with me, read more than the first line of my post and respond to my actual arguments instead of the ones you imagine.

:-b :-b

just messing man... but you should practice what you preach :-)

---------------------------------------------------

I do like your list, not necessarily the order... but the names... and I like Favre more than this "Farve" guy people keep posting about.. :) I have Elway as up there with Montana... If not higher. Part of me thinks Elway on those 49 teams would have been amazing...:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:One thing I am confused on is why is Bradshaw being left off so many lists? Anyway, here is my top 10:

1. Montana
2. Marino
3. Unitas
4. Starr
5. Staubach
6. Elway
7. Farve
8. Bradshaw
9. Young
10. Brady

I don't like leaving Aikman off, but he ended up being odd man out here.

Aikman and Bradshaw are for sure great calls... It's tough making a top 10...

I think people forget about Fran Tarkenton... From wikipedia: In his 18 NFL seasons, Tarkenton completed 3,686 of 6,467 passes for 47,003 yards and 342 touchdowns, with 266 interceptions. He also is 4th on the all-time list of most wins by a starting quarterback (NFL) with 125 regular season victories. He also used his impressive scrambling ability to rack up 3,674 rushing yards and 32 touchdowns on 675 carries. During his career, Tarkenton ran for a touchdown in 15 different seasons, an NFL record among quarterbacks.

Before Young, Randall, and Vick... he was the first real dual threat running/passing QB... he lost 3 superbowls though... and it can be argued that amazing Defense was the reason those teams made the SuperBowl... but I put him above a few guys... I'm not saying he's near the best... but possibly some consideration in that top 10 as well... possibly not just because of his SB losses...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk