Doesn't the NFL own part of the CFL? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Doesn't the NFL own part of the CFL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Doesn't the NFL own part of the CFL?

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:52 am

I read in a thread yesterday (can't rememebr which one) that Totonto should have an NFL team. If I rememebr right doesn't the NFL own part of the CFL? :-? If so wouldn't it be possible in say 10 years or so if the CFL folds that the NFL could absorb them. The CFL has what like 8 or 10 teams. :-? Have the NFL give those eight teams a five year window to get ready to join the NFL. The NFL would then create 2 new four team divisons, one each in the AFC and NFC, that would be just old CFL teams. Give them another five years within that current alignment, if any teams aren't makeing it financially they then would be moved to a deserving market in the good old USA. Am I completely way off base, or does this make sense? I know MLB failed in Montreal, and the NBA failed in Vancouver, but would the NFL fail in any city not named Toronto?
I know this is all far fetched but would this make sense since I am pretty sure the NFL owns part of the CFL?
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:41 pm

Yes the NFL owns the CFL. In fact it has long been one of their development leagues. First there is college, then NFL Europe, the Arena league, the XFL, women's pro football circuit, then the CFL!

Seriously, I haven't heard of the NFL being involved in the CFL. Maybe there are some NFL owners who dabble in the CFL.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:52 pm

moochman wrote:Yes the NFL owns the CFL. In fact it has long been one of their development leagues. First there is college, then NFL Europe, the Arena league, the XFL, women's pro football circuit, then the CFL!

Seriously, I haven't heard of the NFL being involved in the CFL. Maybe there are some NFL owners who dabble in the CFL.

:-b yup...ive never heard it...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:57 pm

I could sware that i read several years ago that the NFl gave them a large sum of money to help them out finacialy. This was about the time the CFL teams in the USA folded. :-?
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:03 pm

Well the mightve gived them a nudge...doesnt mean they are part of the NFL
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:32 pm

I can't the NFL taking on 8 teams from Canada if the CFL dissolved. There aren't big enough markets in Canada (except Toronto) for more than one Canadian NFL team to succeed.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JrcWy » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:54 pm

I hate the idea of expansion. It has put a big bruise in baseball and the NFL has always managed its sport above any of the others. I think LA and a few other markets would be explored before absorbing the Winnepeg BlueBombers.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:46 pm

I think that I was the one praying for the damn CFL to go bankrupt already so that we can get an NFL team.

No (unfortunately) the NFL does not own the CFL.

They do have a marketing agreement. There are several sides to the agreement. One is that the NFL has agreed to not expand into Canada and in return the CFL is very loose in allowing its players to try out with and sign with the NFL. So the CFL has become somewhat of a feeder league. The NFL has saved itself some headaches with this and they have publically stated for a long time that they do not want to expand into Canada, so it's no loss for them.

Another part of the agreement has the NFL has given the CFL a boatload of cash (I don't know how much but I recall it being in the millions) to promote football in Canada. There have been a few joint CFL/NFL programs promoting football around here.

The CFL has 9 teams - now only one of them is named the Roughriders!! None of those teams would survive in the NFL except for the Toronto one (strangely enough they are named the Argos).

Evil forces here in Toronto have been plotting the demise of the CFL for years now to pave the way for the NFL. Our leader is Paul Godfrey and the company that he works for (Rogers Communications) bought the Blue Jays and the Skydome (where the Argos play) a few years ago - so the plan has moved to stage 2.

Unfortunately the CFL has strong grassroots support out west (Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg) and the farm boys will not let the CFL die with dignity.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CptnCalculator » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:14 pm

Argos wrote:Unfortunately the CFL has strong grassroots support out west (Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg) and the farm boys will not let the CFL die with dignity.

As one of those farmboys, I think I should point out the fact that the CFL does have its place. While there is no comparison in talent level, I enjoy both leagues. I suggest going to a Roughrider's game (or a Battle of Alberta game) to anyone who thinks the league is "dead."

Although they like to remind us that they are the center of the universe, Torontonians should maybe focus on supporting it's other major league teams (Jays and Raps) before they get any high-falooting (sp?) ideas. No way the NFL touches Toronto with a 12 foot pole, IMHO.
CptnCalculator Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:39 pm

CptnCalculator wrote: No way the NFL touches Toronto with a 12 foot pole, IMHO.

Argos breaks piggy bank...counts change....can't afford a 13 foot pole...gets second job

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk