Doesn't the NFL own part of the CFL? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Doesn't the NFL own part of the CFL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:00 pm

mikehunt wrote:All your replies just strengthen my comments about torontnians. after Onterio and Quebec are bought by the US to survive it's provincial dept you will look back at this and realize I was right. While western Cnada is living large and in charge of all our oil money. With all your migrated relatives flouding our gates.

enjoy your laid up raptors boys.
[/quote]

Good to see all our tax dollars going to good use over there in the West. Do you guys even have an education system? Or is it that you are too close to the oil fields and years of sniffing oil and gas have clouded your brain.

While western Cnada is living large and in charge

Thats funny. We all know who controls who is in power in this country. Ontario (yeah thats the correct spelling) does!! And this is why you westerners have such an inferiority complex about us Ontarians.
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CptnCalculator » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:08 pm

I don't think this needs to turn from some good healthy needling to a flame-fest. The fact that we would even discuss Toronto getting a NFL team is witness to the city's ability to support major league teams. My point is that they don't support some of the teams they have now (Jays and Argos).

You're absolutely right on Raptor attendance, that was an error on my part to include them in my previous post.

We all know who controls who is in power in this country. Ontario (yeah thats the correct spelling) does!!

You won't get any argument from me on that one, although there may be some folks in Quebec that disagree... ;)
CptnCalculator Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

NFL in Toronto

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:46 am

For all those people who think the NFL is even remotely considering putting a team in Toronto, consider the fact that the last 2 NFL exhibition games were not even close to sellouts in the Skydome - not a very good way to impress the NFL boys. And you don't think that the NFL hasn't noticed that even with the Blue Jays winning 2 championships, attendance has fallen. The fact is that the NFL doesn't want any part of Toronto - the city is too fickle for it's likes and it knows that the popularity of the Leafs is probably so strong as to be a negative for other major league sports teams in the long run. So for those waiting for an NFL team in Toronto - keep waiting 'cause that's exactly what your going to be doing.

And remember, football is the best sport in the world - 4 down, 3 down, 12 players, 11 players, wimpy fair catch, tough 5 yards have to run with the ball, boring play is over on a missed field goal, missed field goal ball can be run back - whatever the rules - football of any kind kicks hockey, basketball, baseball all over the place. PS - Toronto is the most boring place in the world to watch sports of any kind, it's just a boring town period.[/i][/b]
Mike

Friendliness: %

Re: NFL in Toronto

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:38 am

Mike wrote:For all those people who think the NFL is even remotely considering putting a team in Toronto, consider the fact that the last 2 NFL exhibition games were not even close to sellouts in the Skydome - not a very good way to impress the NFL boys. And you don't think that the NFL hasn't noticed that even with the Blue Jays winning 2 championships, attendance has fallen. The fact is that the NFL doesn't want any part of Toronto - the city is too fickle for it's likes and it knows that the popularity of the Leafs is probably so strong as to be a negative for other major league sports teams in the long run. So for those waiting for an NFL team in Toronto - keep waiting 'cause that's exactly what your going to be doing.

And remember, football is the best sport in the world - 4 down, 3 down, 12 players, 11 players, wimpy fair catch, tough 5 yards have to run with the ball, boring play is over on a missed field goal, missed field goal ball can be run back - whatever the rules - football of any kind kicks hockey, basketball, baseball all over the place. PS - Toronto is the most boring place in the world to watch sports of any kind, it's just a boring town period.[/i][/b]

First off Hockey is the best sport in the world. When played right it's much more exciting than football. I've never seen a football game as exciting as the Gold Medal game in the last Olympics. But thats not what I'm here to talk about.

The Toronto Blue Jays were setting attendence records in the late 80's and early 90's. We supported that team more so than the Leafs. After 1994 the WHOLE league's attendence has been dropping. Fans were pissed that the millionaire players are so greedy they don't give a shit about the fans. Now that that's a decade past the fans are coming back. There is an exciting team on the field and we are supporting them. At least as much as the rest of the league. Outside of Boston and New York baseball in any city isn't setting the world on fire with attendence records.

Also, we support a pathetic basketball team very well. We are in the top 3rd in attendence.

As for the Argos, why would a city with 3 major league teams support in the same way a minor league team? The CFL is basically the minor leagues of football. Telling people to go spend their hard earned money on minor league football when they can spend it to go watch MLB, NBA or NHL is just stupid. The CFL survives in a city like Calgary or Winnipeg because there isn't much competition there for the attendence. Thats all they got. Plus, why spend money to see players that can't make the NFL play when you can drive 2 hours to watch real football players play? Toronto could easily support an NFL franchise. We have half of Ralph Wilson Stadium filled every week.
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk