Best GAmes All Time - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best GAmes All Time

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best GAmes All Time

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:48 pm

Every one always says the 1958 Championship Game between New York and Baltimore was the greatest game of all time (Baltimore won 23-17). It was a little before my time so I won't count it although I have seen highlights of it. My choices:

1) Dec 23, 1972: Steelers 13, Raiders 7 - The Immaculate Reception. A classic ending for Steelers fans and one disputed by Raiders fans to this day.

2) Jan 2, 1982: Chargers 41, Dolphins 38 in OT - I'll always remember Kellen Winslow being helped off the field, dehydrated, suffering from heat cramps and a painful shoulder injury, having left everything on the field of battle - he caught 16 passes for 166 yds and 1 TD.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Buckychudd » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:56 pm

Those are both good ones.

My personal favorite, "The Drive".....the beginning of the Elway legend. B-)
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:06 pm

Yeah, i gotta agree with #1, dont know about #2 cause i never saw it...the best games ive seen are the steelers-raiders, and the pat's two SBs
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Poobah » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:42 am

I saw that SD-Miami game, and it is the most memorable I have ever seen.

I am slightly disposed to Super Bowls XXVII, XXVIII, and XXX, but I'm not gonna say best ever or anything :-)
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby Taga » Wed May 05, 2004 9:08 pm

the ice bowl & SB III aren't on the list? 8-o
Taga
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Shatner8 » Tue May 25, 2004 7:36 pm

The immaculate reception game has to be the best game of all time, it was amazing. The ice bowl definitely deserves to be on that list also
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Arlo » Wed May 26, 2004 3:49 am

How about the Snowplow Game? :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:41 pm

I know this probably isn't even on anyone's top ten list, but it's my all-time favorite game to watch. The 1995 AFC Championship game featuring the Cardiac Colts vs. Pittsburgh. Colts were such a fun team to watch that year. Harbaugh was winning games in dramatic fashion left and right. Truly a great game.

Colts were without Marshall Faulk and had to use Zack Crockett and LaMont Warren. Wideouts for Indy were Sean Dawkins, Floyd Turner and Aaron Bailey. Colts boasted a very underrated defense that featured Ashley Ambrose, Ray Buchanan, Tony Siragusa and Quentin Coryatt.

Steelers had Bam Morris running the ball and Neil O'Donnell throwing to Ernie Mills, Andre Hastings and Yancey Thigpen. Some guy named Kordell Stewart was there, too! Steeler defense was great that year with Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene leading the way.

Colts beat San Diego and Kansas City on the road to get there. Nobody in their right mind saw the Colts getting past the Chargers, let alone the Chiefs. But, somehow the Colts got there and almost pulled off the most improbable run ever in playoff history.

Anyways, it was a seesaw battle going back and forth all game. Steelers were ahead 20-16 with less than a minute to go, Harbaugh has no timeouts and has to get 80 yards to score the game winner. Colts drive to about mid-field with just a few seconds remaining on the clock. Colts go four-wide with Dawkins, Turner, Brian Stablein and Aaron Bailey. Ball is snapped and Harbaugh chucks a prayer into the end zone. Ball is tipped twice and lands on Colt WR Aaron Bailey's chest.

As the ball lands there, Bailey rolls over and the ball just touches the ground, although the television angle never showed it and the Colts started celebrating like the prayer was answered. Fans lose their minds for a second but the ref waves it off. Even Paul Maguire and Dick Enberg thought he caught the ball for the game winning Hail Mary touchdown. For a split-second I thought the Colts were doing the unthinkable. It was amazing.

An announcer mentioned it was the best game he ever watched. I agree. I never got the chance to see some of the games previously mentioned, but I saw this one and it was the greatest game I ever watched. So much emotion was involved. There were countless people crying in the stands and on the field. I remember Bill Cowher crying when the camera panned to him. Both Dawkins and Bailey were crying in the end zone and were being consoled by officials. I actually cried, too. It was that emotional. :~(
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ygdrasil54 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:14 pm

Super Bowls X & XIII (Cowboys/Steelers) were two awesome games (even though my Cowboys lost both.) So was the Giants win over Buffalo for their first Lombardi.

The Ice Bowl has to be in there.

God, there were so many excellent games. Unfortunately, these are all I can recall at the time.
Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein. Joe Theisman

Besides pride, loyalty, discipline, heart, and mind, confidence is the key to all the locks. Joe Paterno
ygdrasil54 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Best GAmes All Time

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:51 pm

stomperrob wrote:1) Dec 23, 1972: Steelers 13, Raiders 7 - The Immaculate Reception. A classic ending for Steelers fans and one disputed by Raiders fans to this day.

McFarlane's take on this, I love his figures. The ball never touched the ground. :-)

Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk