Bad news for Dillon? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bad news for Dillon?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bad news for Dillon?

Postby Flux » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:58 am

-- Raiders; Buchanan Agree to Contract --
Fri Apr 2, 2004 --from FFMastermind.com

ESPN reports free-agent CB Ray Buchanan (Falcons) has agreed to a five-year, $12 million deal with the Oakland Raiders to be a free safety first and cornerback if needed. Because Oakland has only about $125,000 in available cap funds, the team must clear some salary cap room before it can officially sign Buchanan to a contract, which officials told ESPN.com would be completed next week.

The Raiders just keep signing and signing. This means they must clear a LOT of cap room, and the Dillon trade is becoming less and less likely every day.

Could this mean some of the vets like Brown or Gannon will be gone with their huge price?
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:42 pm

Hmmm....
I'm feeling Parcells smiling.
I think he will go to Dallas now. OAK I think I read was happy enough with their RBs. Now, though, I doubt Cincy will get much for him anymore. As the market is narrowing fast for him...

If OAK wants him though they could still ship off some of the more pricey guys to cincy in order to attain and sign Dillon. They cant be counted out yet, but they sure are getting closer.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:26 pm

I also read that Norv said he was 'happy' with his current RBs. If that is true or not, i dont know, but I believe it to just be a ploy to drop Dillons price.

With New England still in need of a RB besides K. Faulk, and 100000 picks in the draft, I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about their interest or lack of interest in Dillon.

If a trade doesnt happen, I think Cinci will just cut him. He has a pretty big cap price, and he would just be a distraction to the team. They might as well trade him for whatever they can get at this point. If any moves happen, it probably wont be until the draft.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:25 pm

Flux wrote:I also read that Norv said he was 'happy' with his current RBs. If that is true or not, i dont know, but I believe it to just be a ploy to drop Dillons price.

With New England still in need of a RB besides K. Faulk, and 100000 picks in the draft, I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about their interest or lack of interest in Dillon.

If a trade doesnt happen, I think Cinci will just cut him. He has a pretty big cap price, and he would just be a distraction to the team. They might as well trade him for whatever they can get at this point. If any moves happen, it probably wont be until the draft.
Somebodycorrect me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the cap hit is exactly the same if he is traded or if he is released. Either way I am pretty sure they just have to pay the signing bonus.

I really don't think NE is interested in him. Dillon is not the type of player BB wants. He is not a team player and that is the Patriot's mentality, remember the 2001 SB? I think the Raiders, Broncos, and Cowboys are all very interested in him. The Broncos have said they are not going to trade for him and the Raiders aren't either. That leaves just the Cowboys and I don't think that Parcells and Jones are going to trade for him and give their price (even if it is only a second round pick) when they are essentially the only team interested. (at least the only team that has expressed any interest in trading for him) I would bet that they hold out and wait for the Bengals to release him and then outbid both Denver and Oakland. Shanahan is an ego-maniac and thinks he can do good with any system so I don't think that they will put too much on the table for him. I don't think Raiders can afford to put that much down for him so I don't think that they will be able to sign him. Which leaves Dallas, Parcells is not happy with Hambone as the starter, he expressed that last year. He would rather use him as a Fullback. Parcells has showed that he doesn't mind signing guys that have team issues, he aleady signed Meshawn. Parcells is an "In-your-face" type coach, he is not unwilling to confront players and I'm sure can work with him. I think this is where Dillon will end up.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:57 pm

First I agree with everything Zimm said, it was my thoughts except expressed a little longer ;-)

And yes you are right Zimm, whether they trade or cut him, they still get the same cap penalties.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelyeri » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:50 am

just something to keep in mind, Lincoln Kennedy the Raider's stud Offensive Tackle has said he is retiring. this should clear up a couple mil come june first.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:42 pm

Additionally, Rod Woodson may be retiring too...
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby slowkidz » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:29 pm

Flux wrote:Additionally, Rod Woodson may be retiring too...

or is that just wishful thinking? lol
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby a1doug182 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:29 pm

Teams are going to try and not overpay for Dillon. Just check his stats, the majority of his numbers come from playing against the weeker defenses in the NFL. Most all of the decent defenses have no trouble shutting him down, which should make a team think twice about giving up very much for this overrated RB.
a1doug182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby proKrastinate » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:01 am

a1doug182 wrote:Teams are going to try and not overpay for Dillon. Just check his stats, the majority of his numbers come from playing against the weeker defenses in the NFL. Most all of the decent defenses have no trouble shutting him down, which should make a team think twice about giving up very much for this overrated RB.

though you could very well be right, i wouldn't whole heartedly believe this until i saw some numbers, per say his numbers against the defensive ranking etc he ran against PLUS a comparison between him and some other back running against the same avg defensive ranking overall.

all in all, its actually really hard to crunch all the possibilities and you just have to make an educated guess as to whether or not this guy in cinci is really the real deal and has had enuf of the orange and black, or predicts another young back (cough rudi) to come in and perform against the same teams he performed against.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk