First Grader, Great Grandfather - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

First Grader, Great Grandfather

Moderator: Football Moderators

First Grader, Great Grandfather

Postby Canacuna » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:56 pm

First Grader, Great Grandfather wrote:KAPKENDUIYWA (Kenya): Kimani Nganga Maruge is living proof that an old man, even one who leans heavily on a cane and cannot see or hear too well, can learn new tricks.

By his own reckoning, Maruge is 84. He is a widower who fathered 15 children, 5 of whom survived. He is a great-grandfather who never spent a day in school. His own father had insisted that he look after the family's herd of livestock.

But all that changed when the Kenyan government declared a year ago that primary school education would be free through grade 8. Millions of new pupils showed up at neighborhood campuses, swelling enrollment from 5.9 million students to 7.3 million virtually overnight. Maruge was among those in line.

On the first day of school, he put on some gray knee socks and blue trousers that he had cut off above the knee to resemble the short pants worn by schoolchildren. He limped his way from his mud hut to the office of the headmistress, Jane Obinchu. She thought Maruge was joking when he said he was there to enroll in the first grade. But Maruge was insistent, and Obinchu decided to give him a chance — a spot right up front where he could hear her.

The other students, most of them 78 years younger than Maruge, were amused at first by the old man's presence. But over time they grew used to having a "Mzee," the Swahili honorific given to elders, as a classmate.

After all, Maruge practiced writing the ABCs just as they did. He worked on basic math problems right alongside them. Slowly, the entire class, Maruge included, began to learn to read.

Kenyan officials were stunned that Maruge and others well beyond school age had sought to take advantage of free primary education. "We never knew that such people would come," said S. K. Karaba, senior deputy director in the Department of Education.

At Kapkenduiywa Primary School, which Maruge attends, the enrollment more than doubled to 865 students. Including Maruge, 109 of them were in first-grade.

Maruge, not the least bit embarrassed to be in the same school with two of his grandchildren, dismisses his critics with a wave of his cane. "Let them who want to make fun of me do it," he said. "I will continue to learn."
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sinnlos26 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:07 pm

...wow, thats amazing. its hard to believe there are places where people can't get an education when they chould, be it costs or just not having facilities, let alone people actually wanting to go to school :-D

when i first saw this thread i was thinking something else...
*smacks head off computer desk*
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:56 pm

It's never too late to learn, but I think it does get tougher as you get older. Well, I be rooting for him to graduate before he keels over. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:29 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:It's never too late to learn, but I think it does get tougher as you get older. Well, I be rooting for him to graduate before he keels over. ;-D

HAHA...same here ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:41 pm

sinnlos26 wrote:when i first saw this thread i was thinking something else...

same here lol

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:34 pm

sinnlos26 wrote:when i first saw this thread i was thinking something else...

Heh, same here.

Anyway, good for that guy.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk