Collins Shown the Door?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Collins Shown the Door?

Postby slowkidz » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:31 am

Yahoo - NY Giants

Collins future with Giants in doubt

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
April 2, 2004
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Quarterback Kerry Collins probably has more interest in the upcoming NFL draft than most New York Giants fans.

Collins' future with the Giants probably is going to be decided on April 24.

If the Giants use the fourth pick in the draft to take a quarterback, Collins knows his chances of remaining with the team he led to the Super Bowl in 2000 aren't good after this season.

Collins' contract runs out at the end of 2004, and the Giants aren't likely to give him a new, big deal if they select either Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger in the first round.

``The more time that goes by, the more I start to wonder,'' Collins said Thursday after an offseason workout for new coach Tom Coughlin. ``That's part of life at this day and age in the NFL.

``Regardless of what happens, I am going to stay focused and just worry about playing well this year.''

Collins, the Giants' starting quarterback since 1999, helped the team out after 2000 by taking a three-year contract extension.

At 31 years old, Collins is looking for a long-term deal this time around.

``I have one good contract left for me,'' Collins said. ``I've got five or six more years I think I can play at a high level in this league. Certainly I am durable. I have been able to stay injury free, and there is no question they have an idea what I can and can't do.''

Collins said the Giants (4-12) haven't said much to him in recent weeks in large part because they aren't sure what they are going to do in the draft.

If they don't take a quarterback, New York might take offensive tackle Robert Gallery or receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

``There are 10 different scenarios that have gone on, involving who they are going to take, whether they trade up or down,'' Collins said. ``I'm not going to worry about it until draft day.''

Collins, who missed the final month of the season with an ankle injury, said he probably would be a little upset if the Giants took a quarterback and basically made him a lame duck.

``The writing will be on the wall for me, and I will be a free agent after next year,'' Collins said. ``I'll be motivated to play well. Also, I have had a great experience here. I want to do well for them, whether my future is here or somewhere else.''
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kashikis » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:02 am

If they waste that pick on a WR or QB I'll be pissed. They need to land Gallery and sign him long term to a deal. They have all the skill players to get the job done, they need to sure up their secondary and OL. Gallery is the closest thing to an Ogden or Pace we've seen in a while.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:08 am

you're gonna be a pissy lil guy when cleveland lands a trade for the #3 pick and takes gallery from under your nose...hehehe

everything i've read/heard states that Coughlin isn't interested in keeping Collins past this year. so who's left to qb your team? Palmer? he's too busy out there making tv shows and flirting with a bunch of gold-diggers. good luck with that. ;-D :-b
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Return to New York Giants