Let me paint a picture for you, then tell me what u would do - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Let me paint a picture for you, then tell me what u would do

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:39 am

Buckychudd wrote:
aussieboy wrote:P.S-ive noticed Bennett going very late in mocks too. I think he could become a steal in many drafts, especially since word has it the Vikings could trade him following Onterio's late season performances. In the right place, Bennett could be a nice guy to target in those later rounds as your 2nd RB if uve gone RB, WR, TE, QB.

I've heard a few people talking him up. Personally I'm too afraid of RBBC, especially since you can never tell what Tice is going to do.

Canadian_Cheesehead? is on to me in the newest mock draft. He noticed that I've picked Bennett in both mocks I've participated. I think owners will be sorry for letting him slide. I used to be very afraid of RBBC, but not as much anymore. Despite being a RBBC back on an average at best team, Garrison Hearst hovered around the #15 RB all season until he was injured. That's damn good value for a guy who was going in the 5th-6th round, since consensus #15 backs will rarely make it to the 3rd round. I'm looking for Bennett to be my Hearst this year.

Another good question is.. Who will be this years Ahman Green? Former top 3 RB who had an off year, slips to the 10-12 spot and has a resurgence that makes everyone sorry who picked 8-11. So far that looks to be Ricky Williams...
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:51 am

KingGhidra wrote:Another good question is.. Who will be this years Ahman Green? Former top 3 RB who had an off year, slips to the 10-12 spot and has a resurgence that makes everyone sorry who picked 8-11. So far that looks to be Ricky Williams...

Edgerrin James could fit that description too...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:08 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Another good question is.. Who will be this years Ahman Green? Former top 3 RB who had an off year, slips to the 10-12 spot and has a resurgence that makes everyone sorry who picked 8-11. So far that looks to be Ricky Williams...

Corey Dillon. ;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:36 pm

Edgar James......
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CinemaFreak » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:21 pm

ok, I am a beginner and have read and reread this thread to understand the various strategies for drafting. I have two questions so far, one for the off year RB and one for the draft strategies.

Wouldn't the value of Bennett and Dillon be based on a trade to a team that would covet them as a #1 RB, such as Dillon to Dallas?

How much would the draft strategy change with the change from a third WR starter to a Flex WR/RB?
CinemaFreak Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby terpfan » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:51 pm

CinemaFreak wrote:ok, I am a beginner and have read and reread this thread to understand the various strategies for drafting. I have two questions so far, one for the off year RB and one for the draft strategies.

Wouldn't the value of Bennett and Dillon be based on a trade to a team that would covet them as a #1 RB, such as Dillon to Dallas?

How much would the draft strategy change with the change from a third WR starter to a Flex WR/RB?

1. Yes, you can have all the talent in thw world, but if you arent in a position to peform... If Dillon gets out of Cincy (whihc he will) his value skyrockets.

2. If a third WR slot is switched to WR/RB everyone is going to be scrambling for a third RB to put in that slot. If you can get decent value rbs in each of the first three rounds in this system then by all means go for it. However, be careful no to reach too far, you can find a decent wr much later to fill that spot adequately.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:57 pm

BUMP.

for "BGbootha".

P.S-remember this was a post from last yrs preseason. So disregard all player references, prinicples remain the same though.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:54 am

My personal opinion is that the RB pool is deep enough that you can snag a decent RB with that third pick. Take a draft I was in recently for example. Steven Jackson fell to 2.12 and I took him at 3.1 after snagging Chad Johnson at 2.12 You will definitely get a decent WR at this position, but I think there's RBs such as S. Jackson, L. Jordan, etc. that I would consider here just to shore up the starting RB position. Another option is to snag a second WR right away -- to go RB-WR-WR. With starting three WR in your league, this might be a good value drafting strategy here, and then target some fairly solid sleeper RB when the draft comes back to you (one of the starting rookie RB, KBarlow, etc.)

Overall, I'd go with one of these two scenarios before looking at TGonz this early. There are just too many upside TE that you can get later in the draft.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:59 am

One more way to look at this...

I wonder which was more successful last year in terms of teams that made playoffs in their respective leagues. Ones that took a proven guy like Tony G in the third round (about where he was going last year in most drafts) or teams that drafted other starting positions (RB, WR) in the third and fourth rounds and jumped on the sleeper TE with high upsides (Antonio Gates and Jason Witten, for example). My money is on the latter -- that teams who filled up other positions with good talent and then snagged Witten and Gates later were the ones who had the most successful teams overall. Just a hunch.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby bellybrother » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:14 am

Warpigs wrote:One more way to look at this...

I wonder which was more successful last year in terms of teams that made playoffs in their respective leagues. Ones that took a proven guy like Tony G in the third round (about where he was going last year in most drafts) or teams that drafted other starting positions (RB, WR) in the third and fourth rounds and jumped on the sleeper TE with high upsides (Antonio Gates and Jason Witten, for example). My money is on the latter -- that teams who filled up other positions with good talent and then snagged Witten and Gates later were the ones who had the most successful teams overall. Just a hunch.

The only comment I can offer here is that in the last 2 years, the person picking 1st overall in my money league picked Gonzo with the 25th overall pick and won the championship both times. The 1st year he won the regular season and the 2nd year(a different guy) did not win the regular season but beat me in the championship game.

Year 1 the picks went LT, C-Pep, Gonzo. Year 2 went Priest, Manning, Gonzo. Notice that each year a stud Qb was on that team and I can't remember what other guys the owner had in the 1st year, but last year the guy had Javon and picked up LJ later than he could be had this year to handcuff to Priest.

So my inference from this is that the idea does work, but you obviously have to make solid picks besides that 25th overall too.

This is also why I've asked the question in BGBotha's thread. I don't expect Gonzo to fall late in my draft and really oit would surprise me if Gates did based on the success the other owners oin my league have seen with a 3rd round TE pick.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk