Let me paint a picture for you, then tell me what u would do - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Let me paint a picture for you, then tell me what u would do

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:52 am

aussieboy wrote:BUMP.

for "BGbootha".

P.S-remember this was a post from last yrs preseason. So disregard all player references, prinicples remain the same though.

This season I'd easily take Priest/Holmes and at the turn its almost certain that Martin or Westbrook will fall to me. Both top 12 backs from last year, yeah, I'm taking one as my #2 RB then going with a top WR or QB, no TE unless somehow all the elite QBs and WRs are gone.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrider » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:44 pm

Warpigs wrote:One more way to look at this...

I wonder which was more successful last year in terms of teams that made playoffs in their respective leagues. Ones that took a proven guy like Tony G in the third round (about where he was going last year in most drafts) or teams that drafted other starting positions (RB, WR) in the third and fourth rounds and jumped on the sleeper TE with high upsides (Antonio Gates and Jason Witten, for example). My money is on the latter -- that teams who filled up other positions with good talent and then snagged Witten and Gates later were the ones who had the most successful teams overall. Just a hunch.

That would make the most sense. Do you think Troupe could be the Gates of this year.
mrider
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:39 pm

Warpigs wrote:One more way to look at this...

I wonder which was more successful last year in terms of teams that made playoffs in their respective leagues. Ones that took a proven guy like Tony G in the third round (about where he was going last year in most drafts) or teams that drafted other starting positions (RB, WR) in the third and fourth rounds and jumped on the sleeper TE with high upsides (Antonio Gates and Jason Witten, for example). My money is on the latter -- that teams who filled up other positions with good talent and then snagged Witten and Gates later were the ones who had the most successful teams overall. Just a hunch.
Yes, but then look at the amount of teams who made the playoffs who took RB and WR then jumped on a TE with high upside like Todd Heap. Probably not very good. That's the problem. If you draft Gonzo, you're guaranteed a top TE. Last year Witten and Gates were big risks, two that paid off. There's plenty of other people who took risks on people that didn't pay off and probably ended up dropping them for Putzier or the like.

If you end up with a this year's version of Gates or Witten after going RB, WR in the second and third, then you'll probably go far, but after Gonzo, TEs are risks.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk