No sex please were Americans... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

No sex please were Americans...

Moderator: Football Moderators

No sex please were Americans...

Postby Homeless » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:07 pm

American cinephiles will soon be able to enjoy their movies without sex, violence, swearing - indeed, without any of the interesting bits.
Wal-Mart, the country's mightiest retailer, is preparing to ship a $79 DVD player that automatically strips out potentially offensive content.

The gadget, made by French-owned RCA, aims to tap into mounting concern in the US about media standards.

:-t :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby terpfan » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:21 pm

i cant imagine why anyone would want to buy that!! :-t

if you dont like whats on the dvd.. duhh dont watch it!
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby sinnlos26 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:37 pm

that takes all the fun out of it! like the movies that you didnt know had little tidbits in it... tahts just stupid. my dad will probably buy it :-t :-t
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:05 pm

BOO :-t

this is just getting stupid...

the bad stuff is what makes some movies, and some movies are mostly bad, so is it going to filter out the whole movie :-?
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:23 pm

My quesiton is how is it gonna know wether or not the scene is violent...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TTTBone » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:40 pm

That's just... well... Evil! :-t
Who the hell is deciding what's offensive, you brainless, Wal-Mart shopping, friggin' sheep. What happens when I pop in a copy of Full Metal Jacket or American Beauty or hell, Bertolucci's Romeo and Juliet.
I despise Wal-Mart, Evil Bastards!
The Motion Picture Association should be up in arms! Some cheap, Wal-Mart sold DVD players are editing our films. Complete Crap!
Sorry to rant here, but this is the type of mindless crap that just makes my blood boil.:-#
Repressionist, fanatical, ignorant, mind-numbing, CRAP.
Anyone who buys one of these machines should go on a list, and have their reproductive rights stripped from them.
BTW, I guess The Passion will be about a 20 minute movie when it comes out on DVD.
Dumbasses. :-t

needed to vent on this one...

Okay, I feel better now... whew :-°
BTW Homey, nice title for the thread, Americans are sooooooo uptight about nudity and sex.
Last edited by TTTBone on Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Canacuna » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:25 pm

I think TTTBone covered everything I was ready to mention. So in short...

Wal*Mart = :-t

I remember my friend in elementary school loved Wal*Mart because they edited CDs - that's the only way his mother would let him listen to any rap music... Unfortunately, he was influenced a little much and is now an even more pathetic version of that guy Jamie Kennedy played in Malibu's Most Wanted. Needless to say, I don't hang out with him anymore and I blame Wal*Mart for his demise - he used to be cool.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:19 pm

It's ironic that the French made the gadget, because their views towards nudity and sex are basically the opposite of ours. You can turn on almost any French TV channel and you will randomly see naked girls. If one nipple is revealed on American TV, the whole country is outraged for a month.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:29 pm

I heard that some company in Utah created the thing...either way it's pretty dumb.

Some of the movies that they tried to edit through the DVD are "lost causes," meaning there's so much bad stuff in them that the DVD wouldn't have enough material left to make a coherent movie.

Many directors are already blasting the thing because they don't want their movies to be degraded by losing scenes that are important to the development of the movie. I don't blame them.

Instead of making DVD's that bleep stuff out so kids don't see them, why don't the concerned parents just not let the kids watch the movie!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:56 pm

Utah, it figures...
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk