Domanick Davis equals.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Domanick Davis equals....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Domanick Davis equals....

Postby CC » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:28 pm

William Green. I'm ready to get ripped for this, I expect I will be referred to as an "idiot" and called "stoopid" many times. I had to state my opinion. Both were strong at the end of the year, but I didn't see anything that really impressed me from either of them. Does anyone agree with me or is this just a rip CC thread?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deftdelivery » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:38 pm

I agree to some extent - DD didn't show us a whole lot last year...he was quietly productive and proved to be a solid #2 back at times. However, he has no history of drug problems or DUI's...that sets him apart from Green BIG time...and if he stays healthy, he has every chance to be great in Houston. He needs a big game to prove himself...then you will see those lucky owners smiling ear to ear
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:40 pm

I dont know if DD is the next William Green, but he's certainly not the garaunteed #10-15 fantasy back most people seem to think. He had good numbers, but he's on a team that has yet to have a winning season (if you have a good offense you usually win more than a few), and he's yet to prove himself durable for an entire season. He's no less of an injury risk than Westbrook, or Fred Taylor :-D

Honestly, I'd be a bit nervous going into the season with him as my #2 RB.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:50 pm

The main difference between Dom Davis and William Green is how they proved themselves their rookie season. Once Dom Davis got the starting job, he took off and was consistent basically the entire season. Green, I believe, had the starting job his entire rookie season and did next to nothing until the last 2 or 3 weeks of the regular season.

And this difference shows through when the two were picked after their rookie season. This coming fantasy drafting season, Davis will get picked in the top 10 or 12 RB's, while William Green was being picked as a #2 in about the 3rd round.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Canacuna » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:59 pm

I liked what I saw of Domanick Davis. Like VHawk said, when he earned the starting job, he was productive from the start, unlike William Green who didn't do anything until the last few weeks of the season. And like deftdelivery said, Domanick Davis has a clean history - unlike William Green.

Although I don't know about their histories, I would put guys like Lee Suggs (injuries), Kevan Barlow (couldn't take starting job from a cripple his entire career until the cripple was finally injured), Thomas Jones (career suckiness until last half of last season) and Onterio Smith (although he'll be riding the bench, so he doesn't even matter) as guys to be wary of for the future.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:27 pm

I don't see any reason why Davis can't be a #2 RB. He had a couple of injuries, but that can happen to anyone. This guy has the important tools - speed, catching out of the backfield (he had quite a few rec. yards last year and a few TD's), and a team willing to feed him the ball. One might make a case that since Carr was injured for a few games that they may have given Davis the ball more than he would normally see it, but without Davis in there, the Houston run game was total garbage! Didn't they only get about 20 rushing yards in the one game where Carr and Davis were both out? Scary stuff.

Give this guy a 16 game year, and I think fantasy players won't be disappointed in this guy.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:00 pm

He showed be plenty last year and Houston just seems to get better, and being his rookie year, he can only improve. Like others said he has a clean history, and I cannot rank him right where green is. Not to mention the fact DD doesnt have Suggs creeping up on him ;-7 He is a fine #2 back to me ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:33 pm

I meant of last year. William Green was pretty highly touted going this year. He was flat-out terrible however.
What I don't like about Davis is that he doesn't do well against good defences. Here is a run-down of the games he started.

Vs. Weak Run Defences

New York - 27 carries, 129 yds
Indianapolis - 25 carries, 109 yds, 2 TDs
Cincinnati - 15 carries, 104 yds, 1 TD
Atlanta - 24 carries, 101 yds, 2 TDs
Indianapolis - 20 carries, 99 yds, 2 TDs

Vs. Good Run Defences

Carolina - 12 carries, 74 yds
Buffalo - 26 carries, 68 yds
New England - 24 carries, 69 yds
Tampa Bay - 16 carries, 56 yds
Tennessee - 14 carries, 51 yds

and for good measure in the game vs. Jacksonville he did not start

Jacksonville - 16 carries, 53 yds

To me these are fairly unimpressive numbers when he is not playing a weak run defence. He never breaks 75 yds, only breaks 70 yds once, and has no TDs in any of these games.

I'm not saying Dom Davis is a bad back because he is not, but that I personally would not spend an early second round pick on him, and that owners with high expectations for Davis should not get their hopes too high.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:51 pm

First of all, you distorted those stats a little. Why would you include the TD's for the games against "weak defenses" but not include the TD's for the games against "good run defenses"? And yes, he did score some TD's against the good run defenses.

Secondly, it's one thing to say that Domanick Davis didn't do good against the good run defenses in his rookie season but it's a whole nothing thing to compare him to William Green. I never saw William Green run for 1000+ yards in a season in which he didn't start the whole time. I also never saw William Green when Offensive Rookie of the Year.

I understand that like any rookie, Dom Davis might struggle in games against good run defenses. Makes perfect sense to me. But I don't understand why someone should neglect to pick him in the second round or worse, compare him to William Green because of it.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby awwchrist » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:18 am

VHawk15 wrote:First of all, you distorted those stats a little. Why would you include the TD's for the games against "weak defenses" but not include the TD's for the games against "good run defenses"? And yes, he did score some TD's against the good run defenses.

Well I'm sure it was a mild oversight that Davis scored one TD (vs Tennessee) out of the aforementioned opponents. It still makes a valid arguement that he's going to struggle against more stout run defenses.

However lets remind ourselves that this is your 2RB. What do you really expect but a lot of hope, and a little grief on the side.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk