Music Companies Stink... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Music Companies Stink...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Music Companies Stink...

Postby Canacuna » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:55 pm

NJ.com wrote:Unburdened by manufacturing and distribution costs, online music was supposed to usher in a new era of inexpensive, easy-to-access music for consumers. In many cases, buying music online is still cheaper than shopping for CDs at retail outlets. But just a year after iTunes debuted with its 99-cent songs and mostly $9.99 albums, that affordable and straightforward pricing structure is already under pressure.

All five of the major music companies are discussing ways to boost the price of single-song downloads on hot releases -- to anywhere from $1.25 to as much as $2.49. It isn't clear how or when such a price hike would take place, and it could still be months away. Sales of such singles -- prices have remained at 99 cents -- still account for the majority of online music sales.

The industry is also mulling other ways to charge more for online singles. One option under consideration is bundling hit songs with less-desirable tracks. Another possibility is charging more for a single track if it is available online before the broader release of the entire album from which it is taken. There is also talk of lowering the price on some individual tracks from older albums.

Several record-company executives acknowledged that pricing changes are being discussed at all five major companies.

The music companies are reluctant to talk openly about their wholesale-pricing strategies, but they are quick to blame the retailers for higher prices. A spokeswoman for EMI, for instance, stresses that the retailers, not record companies, ultimately set the prices consumers pay.

However, the digital-music services say they base their retail prices directly on the wholesale prices the music companies charge. "Our pricing comes when the fees come in from the labels," said Musicmatch's Mr. Csathy.

ITunes, the market leader among downloading services, and its competitors offer music at two distinct price points: Single tracks cost 99 cents. A full-album has generally cost $9.99, regardless of how many songs are on it.

The issue of online music prices raises philosophical debates for music executives. Some executives, for example, believe they should be charging a premium for the online versions of older tracks because consumers may be willing to pay more for harder-to-find material.

Things like this make me want to download a plethora of songs illegally...

Why not accept the fact that when you offer legal downloads at a reasonable price, people go for them? When you offer bad music at overstated prices, people find other ways to check out what is available.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TTTBone » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:20 pm

I download a shi*load of stuff, but also have a sorta moral code I use. If It's some mega-seller who's already making a boat-load of money, I feel no guilt. However, I mostly download semi-obscure artists, to personally review; and also my tastes are more to artists who normally don't "generate sales". If I really love an artist I download, I usually go out and buy the CD, or even better, lay down the cash to see them when they pass through town. You want to support a "small-time" artist, pay to see the show, and even better, buy some product (CD or T-Shirt) at the show. A marginal artist's returns are way better on the ticket sales or product sold at shows than on the actual retail CD sales. And just a thought... if you love 'em, and they aint big time yet, pop for the CD, or better yet pop for the T-Shirt and let 'em crash on your floor.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:37 pm

I think 3T has it right all the way on this one. The big guys are losing a fraction of their total proceeds from online music swapping.

You know, I actually thought about doing the ITunes thing because the songs were only a dollar. I could make an entire CD of good songs that I want for 20 bucks...that's not bad when you see single artist CD's going for like 15 - 17 dollars a pop. If they raise it to 2 dollars a song, I think I'll pass.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:48 pm

An cheaper alternative to ITunes, is Kazaa. Yes, its come under pressure, but nothing has happened to me yet, so alas I continue to download for free.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:58 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:An cheaper alternative to ITunes, is Kazaa. Yes, its come under pressure, but nothing has happened to me yet, so alas I continue to download for free.

You continue til you are 1 million in debt ;-)

I used to have kazaa back when but then It messed up my comp so my dad had to fix it and remove kazaa, then we went to limewire, not as nice but it worked. I dont think it is up anymore, the new kazaa doesnt have the spyware or something like that so it wont hurt your comp, but I personally dont want to take the chances. I just do the following:

Burrow the CD from the local libraries and burn
Or listen to it on yahoo launchcast
Or just ask people if they have the song then get them to send it to me ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:59 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:An cheaper alternative to ITunes, is Kazaa. Yes, its come under pressure, but nothing has happened to me yet, so alas I continue to download for free.

I became paranoid and didn't want to have my parents stuck with a huge bill. I had a ton of songs, though - about 2,000 or so. I'm currently looking into alternatives, though.

I don't like that the music industry keeps saying that "one download is one CD sale lost," or something of that nature. I know myself, and many others will often buy the CD after listening to it. Most of what I download is leaked material (from what I have of Wilco's new CD = ;-D ) that I just can't wait to listen to, live tracks, B-Sides, or underground bands that I'd like to hear a song or two before I put my money on the counter.

If you'd like to continue stealing music, the library is a fine resource. I don't know about anyone else's, but mine carries a decent variety of music that you can take home and burn if you chose to do so.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:34 pm

Canacuna wrote:If you'd like to continue stealing music, the library is a fine resource. I don't know about anyone else's, but mine carries a decent variety of music that you can take home and burn if you chose to do so.

I didn't realize libraries carried CD's...must just be a product of the area I'm in. Old Victorian Mercer county isn't a real hotbed of rock music - except for Trent Reznor, of course. I doubt our library would have anything. That is a really cool idea though. Of course, if too many people found out about it the RIAA would surely be all over libraries to stop lending out CD's!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:25 am

TTTBone wrote:I download a shi*load of stuff, but also have a sorta moral code I use. If It's some mega-seller who's already making a boat-load of money, I feel no guilt. However, I mostly download semi-obscure artists, to personally review; and also my tastes are more to artists who normally don't "generate sales". If I really love an artist I download, I usually go out and buy the CD, or even better, lay down the cash to see them when they pass through town. You want to support a "small-time" artist, pay to see the show, and even better, buy some product (CD or T-Shirt) at the show. A marginal artist's returns are way better on the ticket sales or product sold at shows than on the actual retail CD sales. And just a thought... if you love 'em, and they aint big time yet, pop for the CD, or better yet pop for the T-Shirt and let 'em crash on your floor.

I love the Silly Walks TTTBone - this is my favorite all-time sig - by far!

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby UtopianHopes » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:26 am

Heh.. I don't like this topic, but oh well (remember me how i am actually stealing music, because it inexpensive). I don't like paying for anything when i can get it for free (called waste of money). I know the record company been suing alot of people, but i think they gave up considering they would be taking millions of people to court. Also I-Tunes, isn't much interesting consider how cheap blank cd are and if your a big fan of music you might download alot (so you be saving alot of money at the end of the day). By the way, Record company brought this on themselves. They wanted to rip us, off. which they still do..then they tell me to look out in to there best interest. what a joke. I dont blame the artists being mad right about now, because now they have to come up with a complete albuim rather then having 2 hits. Man, I hope i don't get sued for this.....

I hate kazaa. It ruin my computer once with it spyware crap. I prefer limewire pro (got the crack version). You don't deal with corrupted downloads and i think record company only focus on shotting down kazaa. In the mine while, this seem like a never ending battle. As they shut down down programs, more will come up and people will move on.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dazedncnfz » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:44 am

if you can find the a older version of kazza LITE, lite being the key word and just install it none of the extra crap...it contains no spyware and it still works for free...they key to not getting caught is simple....do not save and music in your shared folder....keep a couple of songs in it to share but keep most in a different folder or another hard drive....

if you get scaned they will only see whats inside your sharded folder... so if you have it someone where else you and your music will be safe...

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk