Raiders Redskins Trade? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Raiders Redskins Trade?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Raiders Redskins Trade?

Postby steelyeri » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:44 am

read this on another board, i also heard about it on fox sports radio.

Pro Football Weekly is reporting that there may be on going trade talks between the Raiders and the Redskins.

According to PFW the trade would involve the Raiders and Redskins swaping first round picks and the Redskins giving the Raiders one of the following players.

OT-Chris Samuels
WR-Rod Gardner
QB-Patrick Ramsey

The Redskin player mentioned most prominently in the article was left tackle Chris Samuels.

The article stated the if the Raiders were to acquire Samuels, they would then most likely draft either a WR or a TE with their first round selection.

Samuels, according to the article, is in the middle of contract talks with the Redskins and there has not been much progress.

This is from the Pro Football Pay site

now, maybe about 10% of trade rumours actually happen but this is just something that is being talked about. I've read that coach Gibbs isn't happy with what he's seen from his O line in training camp. I've also read that the Skins aren't having much luck in contract negotiations with Samuels. I think it would make sense for both teams, here's why...

1. Redskins don't want to pay samuels so they get to dump this problem of theirs on the raiders
2. Raiders improve their O line even more, and stay in place to draft roy williams.
3. the redskins get in great position to take gallery, who might become a better/cheaper option for them.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cupertino_11 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:27 am

All very interesting and feasible trade ideas, although it does seem a bit steep of a price to pay to move up three spots. All of the aforementioned players are former first rounders and even though Ramsey didn't play all that well last season, I wouldn't consider him a bust. Also, both Samuels and Gardner are very solid contributors to the team. I can only see contract problems/salary cap issues as the reasoning for the Skins to pull this trade. Perhaps all that FA spending is taking it's toll.

I'm sure the Raiders would be more than happy to get Samuels for the three spot drop. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down again from #5, then take Mike Williams a little later on.

Damn that Al Davis.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:02 am

So who does WAS want so bad? They have been making moves like no other :-[ ...Unless its a money issue, I dont like this trade for WAS, they need Samuels to be on the O-line so they dont repeat last year. Unless they plan on getting gallery of course...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:02 am

Samuels is an elite OT, and he certainly isn't good enough for the salary they are paying him. I don't see how this could possibly work however b/c the Raiders and almost over the cap. If it did happen, Gallery would be the logical choice.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:10 am

this is BS, there is no way we can trade samuels, the cap hit would be ENORMOUS. besides, what would we want the #2 pick for anyway? and how is samuels or ramsey worth giving up to move up 3 spots?

i want to trade DOWN not UP.

:-t
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:42 pm

i just heard on a redskins board that peter king was reporting the redskins 5th ROUND PICK and samuels for the #2. that would mean the skins would pick #2 and #5. i think that would be a great deal for the skins, if we could handle the cap hit from samuels. :-? still seems pretty unrealistic though, i dont know why the raiders would do it.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:44 pm

Definetly dont see that happening number 1 because they are over the cap and number thats way too many guys just to move up 3 spots

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby terpfan » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:59 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:Definetly dont see that happening number 1 because they are over the cap and number thats way too many guys just to move up 3 spots

actually they arent over the cap... and they would only be giving up one of those players. your still right though, its a bad trade. :-P
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:24 pm

terpfan wrote:i just heard on a redskins board that peter king was reporting the redskins 5th ROUND PICK and samuels for the #2. that would mean the skins would pick #2 and #5. i think that would be a great deal for the skins, if we could handle the cap hit from samuels. :-? still seems pretty unrealistic though, i dont know why the raiders would do it.

Gallery and Taylor at #2 & #5? That'd be kinda nice.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby UtopianHopes » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:51 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
terpfan wrote:i just heard on a redskins board that peter king was reporting the redskins 5th ROUND PICK and samuels for the #2. that would mean the skins would pick #2 and #5. i think that would be a great deal for the skins, if we could handle the cap hit from samuels. :-? still seems pretty unrealistic though, i dont know why the raiders would do it.

Gallery and Taylor at #2 & #5? That'd be kinda nice.

I think if the raiders would do this trade. They must have in mind that gallery will go #1.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk